What are you listening to right now?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:58 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:06 pm
Behind the Curtain - Till Birth Do Us Part.
One of the most underrated prog albums of all time.
Yeesh, strong disagreement on that one. I found it almost unlistenable, to the point where I traded it in before I was even trying to clean out the collection.

To each their own on that one, I guess!
My guess is the vocals are to blame?
It’s very much a Psychotic Waltz type of vocals - either you love ‘em or hate ‘em
Claus Jensen

SJM

Post by SJM » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm

For me today it is Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold .
"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever.”

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:21 am

SJM wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm
NICE!!! I was actually listening to the “Nightmare” album by A7X yesterday as well. Love it.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:24 am

Now playing: FANS OF THE DARK - In for the Count
I’ve checked out their albums but we’re never impressed enough to dig any further. Also, stupid name and the covers not matching the music made me dismiss them. Well, here they are covering the very best AOR band ever (Balance) so obviously it deserves a listen. Good cover for sure.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:42 pm

I’m between meetings: Oceans of Slumber (in preparation for concert tonight). Their last album is one of my most listened to albums this year …
Claus Jensen

SJM

Post by SJM » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:21 am
SJM wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm
NICE!!! I was actually listening to the “Nightmare” album by A7X yesterday as well. Love it.
I love both of those bands and disappointed that I didn't get to see them live the last time they were in my area.

SJM

Post by SJM » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:31 pm

My adorable hubby got me the new Threshold for my Birthday. I am listening to it for the first time as I am typing...and I LOVE IT! So amazing and perfect gift for me too. :D

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:13 am

SJM wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:31 pm
My adorable hubby got me the new Threshold for my Birthday. I am listening to it for the first time as I am typing...and I LOVE IT! So amazing and perfect gift for me too. :D
Happy birthday :)
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:47 pm

A good mix of old, new and questionable

I've been blasting the new Queensryche, Mantric Momentum, House of Spirts and some deep cuts from Air Supply. My new cars sound system is pretty great so its nice to immerse myself on my 45 min drive to work each morning.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:00 pm

Now playing: well … my iTunes collection on “shuffle”. Trying to figure out what I’ll be listening to in an hour when I have my final official race of the season. It’s only a 4-miler, so it has to be something “fast” rather than “slow and steady”.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:02 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:00 pm
Now playing: well … my iTunes collection on “shuffle”. Trying to figure out what I’ll be listening to in an hour when I have my final official race of the season. It’s only a 4-miler, so it has to be something “fast” rather than “slow and steady”.
Ended up listening to Stratovarius - Episode. Now listening to “jingle bell rock” waiting for the awards ceremony to begin … I won my age group so waiting for whatever award I’m getting haha
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 pm

Crimson Glory / Transcendence - I will never get tired of this disc. So many memories of discovering this band back in the day ........ Midnight was untouchable. R.I.P.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 am

Crimson Glory / Transcendence - I will never get tired of this disc. So many memories of discovering this band back in the day ........ Midnight was untouchable. R.I.P.
Great album! First time I heard it, I only made it partway into "Red Sharks" and was just like..... NOPE! But then was pushed into listening further, and once it hit "Lonely" I was absolutely hooked.

NP - Circus Maximus "Havoc in Oslo" (another band that should be greater than they are..... Musically trending the wrong direction. Would love to see them pull an SUE and reverse course 100%)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 am
Great album! First time I heard it, I only made it partway into "Red Sharks" and was just like..... NOPE! But then was pushed into listening further, and once it hit "Lonely" I was absolutely hooked.

***That is my least favorite song on the disc as well - mostly because it is out of place with the rest of the vibe of the disc. Everything else is perfection, especially Lonely.....

NP - Circus Maximus "Havoc in Oslo" (another band that should be greater than they are..... Musically trending the wrong direction. Would love to see them pull an SUE and reverse course 100%)
***I hear that - I'm not sure what happened to them, or why they went in that direction ...... they were at the top of the progressive food chain back in the day, and that is probably the reason they turned ...... maybe figured nowhere to go in that genre and might appeal to more the way they went ..... and then POOF. Gone.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 pm

Heaven's Edge s/t - Very under-the-radar early 90s hair metal band. Debut album was EXCELLENT, and followup eight years later was fairly mediocre, as were most of these bands by that point. I'm seeing on FB they are back active again, with a new album coming next year.... Curious to hear if it recaptures any of the magic of the debut.

1989-1992 was definitely where the genre started to stagnate, but there were some GREAT third tier bands putting out good material that was easily overlooked. I see a lot of them on lists on this board, so nothing new to many readers here..... :)

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 pm
Heaven's Edge s/t - Very under-the-radar early 90s hair metal band. Debut album was EXCELLENT, and followup eight years later was fairly mediocre, as were most of these bands by that point...
For a minute I read that as Heaven's Cry and was ready to jump in and start a proper fight with you ;) Man, I love both of the two original HC albums (their 3rd and 4th ones, not so much).

As for Heaven's Edge, besides the hit "Skin to Skin" I don't remember much about them. I'll try to give the album a spin though.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:51 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:14 am
***I hear that - I'm not sure what happened to them, or why they went in that direction ...... they were at the top of the progressive food chain back in the day, and that is probably the reason they turned ...... maybe figured nowhere to go in that genre and might appeal to more the way they went ..... and then POOF. Gone.
Meh ... you guys are both wrong ... both "Nine" and "Havoc" are great albums, they just aren't the same style as the band used to play. Hmmm, I feel like we've had similar conversations before where Larry refuses to accept a band diverting from the classic prog metal style, hahahaha :)
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:42 am

LarryD wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 pm

Meh ... you guys are both wrong ... both "Nine" and "Havoc" are great albums, they just aren't the same style as the band used to play. Hmmm, I feel like we've had similar conversations before where Larry refuses to accept a band diverting from the classic prog metal style, hahahaha :)
It's like having a high end steakhouse put a club sandwich on the menu. Might be a perfectly good, even great, club sandwich, but when you know what they are capable of why would I want something so.... simple.... from them?

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:42 am
LarryD wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 pm

It's like having a high end steakhouse put a club sandwich on the menu. Might be a perfectly good, even great, club sandwich, but when you know what they are capable of why would I want something so.... simple.... from them?
By all accounts I should agree with you, and keep in mind I was the bands manager during “first chapter” and “isolate” so I’m also super biased towards loving those much more than the other two. But however crazy it may sound, it’s the other two I go to when I want to play CM. Obviously personal taste can’t be discussed, but I’m well aware that I’m in the minority here - just really odd how those two that I on paper should dislike are the ones I keep reaching for.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:04 pm

By all accounts I should agree with you, and keep in mind I was the bands manager during “first chapter” and “isolate” so I’m also super biased towards loving those much more than the other two. But however crazy it may sound, it’s the other two I go to when I want to play CM. Obviously personal taste can’t be discussed, but I’m well aware that I’m in the minority here - just really odd how those two that I on paper should dislike are the ones I keep reaching for.
***It seems as though those two discs were the downfall of the band ....... they seemed to have lost their fanbase with those and then they were gone. If I'm in the mood for some CM, I immediately go to Isolate....... after that it's the first one, and then nothing ......... that bluray they put out is quite good, but it leaves me wanting more of the old days .....

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:30 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:04 pm
If I'm in the mood for some CM, I immediately go to Isolate....... after that it's the first one, and then nothing ......... that bluray they put out is quite good, but it leaves me wanting more of the old days .....
+1
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:02 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:04 pm
***It seems as though those two discs were the downfall of the band ....... they seemed to have lost their fanbase with those and then they were gone.
Yup, can't disagree with that. The two first discs were exactly what people wanted; classic prog metal "borrowing" heavily from Symphony X, Dream Theater and Queensryche. When the band decided to write music that wasn't like anyone else in the style, they got ostracized by the same group of people who loved the first two. While I love the first two dearly (for reasons already explained), it's the other two that shows a band who had something on their mind/heart, and wanted to try something else instead of just copying SX, DT, QR ... oh well. Y'all have "Isolate" and "The 1st Chapter" to scratch that itch of classic prog metal, and I can enjoy "Nine" and "Havoc" for being whatever they are.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:03 am

Now playing: Unto Others - Strength - 2021
Gothic metal done right!
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:40 am

Morning stuff so far.....

Cinderella "Long Cold Winter" - Probably my favorite of the Cinderella albums (although "Night Songs" is right there also).

Nightwish "Made in Hong Kong (and Other Places)" - Somewhat throwaway live album recognizing that the Annette era occurred. I really wish they would have put out a full live DVD / album from that era, as this one only includes songs from her albums.... Not that we really need any MORE live Nightwish albums, as they have a bunch, but still.... If you're going to do something, do it right, and this is a bit half assed.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 am

OSTURA / The Room --

From beginning to end - I hadn't forgotten how good this was, I'd forgotten how GREAT it was ....... my god what a monster of a disc. This was one of those discs that you might have heard about by reading it, and saying " I'll check it out soon ", and then it was gone. No harm right ? Wrong. One of my favorite concept discs is Beyond the Bridge .... this could rival it. Fantastic release that just came and went ........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:59 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:40 am
Cinderella "Long Cold Winter" - Probably my favorite of the Cinderella albums (although "Night Songs" is right there also).
For me "Heartbreak Station" is their pinnacle ... absolute masterpiece of bluesy hard rock.
I know everyone raves about "LCW" but I think less of it than "Night Songs" and probably will rank it evenly with "Still Climbing" - that's not to say I don't like it a lot - to me it just pales next to "HS".
Still, a shame we only got those 4 discs.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:01 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 am
OSTURA / The Room --

From beginning to end - I hadn't forgotten how good this was, I'd forgotten how GREAT it was ....... my god what a monster of a disc. This was one of those discs that you might have heard about by reading it, and saying " I'll check it out soon ", and then it was gone. No harm right ? Wrong. One of my favorite concept discs is Beyond the Bridge .... this could rival it. Fantastic release that just came and went ........
Agreed, this is a wonderful album.

I never understood the love for Beyond the Bridge.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:05 am

UNPROCESSED - Gold (instrumental version)

I don't enjoy all-instrumental music much - there's a few releases each year that I like, and that's it. However, I completely LOVE "Gold" by Unprocessed, and they've just released an instrumental version of that album, which I had to purchase. For me this is the ultimate karaoke album as I know all the songs by heart now. I'm aware a lot of people didn't enjoy the vocals on the disc, so perhaps this instrumental version will show to them just how amazing Unprocessed really is. Modern progressive metal of the very best quality.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... H6EMgMWd5M
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:05 am
UNPROCESSED - Gold (instrumental version)

I don't enjoy all-instrumental music much - there's a few releases each year that I like, and that's it. However, I completely LOVE "Gold" by Unprocessed, and they've just released an instrumental version of that album, which I had to purchase. For me this is the ultimate karaoke album as I know all the songs by heart now. I'm aware a lot of people didn't enjoy the vocals on the disc, so perhaps this instrumental version will show to them just how amazing Unprocessed really is. Modern progressive metal of the very best quality.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... H6EMgMWd5M
People don't like the vocals!? I friggin love him. Great tone, excellent versatility. Oh well, no accounting for taste, I guess.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:02 am

With the prospects of a new Lord of the Lost album to be released next week, I decided to put all their albums on shuffle ...
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:41 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 am
OSTURA / The Room --

Brilliant release - thank you for reminding me to spin it again. So good.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:20 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:24 am
I’ve checked out their albums but we’re never impressed enough to dig any further. Also, stupid name and the covers not matching the music made me dismiss them. Well, here they are covering the very best AOR band ever (Balance) so obviously it deserves a listen. Good cover for sure.
Both albums are excellent. The covers EP is cool, but the albums are better. :twisted:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:46 am

Guillaume wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:20 pm
introclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:24 am
Both albums are excellent. The covers EP is cool, but the albums are better. :twisted:
I actually tried the albums again after listening to their phenomenal cover of the best AOR tune ever written (Balance - In for the count), but it really didn't hit me the way it does you.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:48 am

Besides the fire-alarms (trying to make bacon for my sons breakfast), TEN - Babylon. A classic of melodic hard rock in my book. I love almost everything this band (well, Gary Hughes) has put out, but those first 5 albums are unbeatable.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:11 pm

Still evaluating tops of the year so spinning candidates from that list. A Wake in Providence - Eternity and then Fit for an Autopsy - Oh What the Future Holds.