Instabuy bands?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

brendontowle

Instabuy bands?

Post by brendontowle » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:25 pm

I was thinking the other day about what bands I'd instabuy -- that is, the moment I find out that there's a new album out, I buy it without having to hear any of the songs or read any of the reviews. Sadly, for me, I think there's only two:
  • Braindance
  • Threshold
Just having seen the new Threshold is out soon, this list is timely for me. :)

Anyone else have a similar list?

introclaus

Re: Instabuy bands?

Post by introclaus » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:53 pm

brendontowle wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:25 pm
I was thinking the other day about what bands I'd instabuy -- that is, the moment I find out that there's a new album out, I buy it without having to hear any of the songs or read any of the reviews. Sadly, for me, I think there's only two:
  • Braindance
  • Threshold
Just having seen the new Threshold is out soon, this list is timely for me. :)

Anyone else have a similar list?
I think that’s a two-part answer for me;

(1) Bands I’d buy because I’m a collector and must have everything from them:
- there are a lot (!!!) here … I probably shouldn’t buy them blind but the stupid collector mentality takes over

(2) Bands/artist I’d buy because I trust in their quality level and even if they changed style (which most of those have done over time) I know I’d still love it:
- Tori Amos
- Port Noir
- Katatonia
- Cynic
- Ten
- Conception

I think that’s it ….
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:10 pm

If you had asked me this 10 years ago - the list would have been much longer. Now, it has greatly diminished. Without looking at the collection and going thru my aging memory, it would be these ( in our genre ) -

Dream Theater
Vanden Plas
Threshold
Arena
IQ
Pendragon
Mystery

(VP & Threshold are subject to being off this list with their respective releases depending)

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am

I still have way WAY too many..... Like Claus said, much of it is due to "collecting" and being a bit of a completionist....

I'm actually on a work trip right now, and loaded up the car with a large stack of brand new stuff for the ride, so hoping to put together a post when I get back with thoughts on everything.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Norén

Post by Norén » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm

Tesseract and Major Parkinson
I think that's about it.

Well, OK, I will probably buy the next MEER album right away as well. Discovery of the year.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:01 pm

long list, but 1st and foremost, anything Kevin Gilbert's estate releases.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:32 am

Anything Ray Alder sings on.

It hasn't always worked out, but he's a blind buy every time.

A-Z started mediocre for me and grew to be my no.1 this year.

Figure Of Speechless is a waste of his talents. He's not at all a good fit for these arrangements.

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am

Within the bounds of artists in this board's wheelhouse:

Threshold
Redemption
Hibernal
Theocracy

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:04 am

outprogged42 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am

Threshold
Redemption
Hibernal
Theocracy
Who/what is Hibernal? I can't seem to find them on metal-archives.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:37 pm

I don't have many myself, but the few ones I can think of are.

Epica,
Nightwish
Dynasty

Claus, question for you....I know like me you are a big Kate Bush Fan, Would you know why Kate Bush's song "Running up that hill" is all the sudden on the radio? I don't listen to the radio much, but the light rock stations I tune into every now and then have been playing it quite a bit all the sudden. I'm just wondering if you knew why the increased popularity? You may not know, but in case you do..........

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:07 am

It was featured in a few episodes of the Netflix series Stranger Things

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:54 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:37 pm
Claus, question for you....I know like me you are a big Kate Bush Fan, Would you know why Kate Bush's song "Running up that hill" is all the sudden on the radio? I don't listen to the radio much, but the light rock stations I tune into every now and then have been playing it quite a bit all the sudden. I'm just wondering if you knew why the increased popularity? You may not know, but in case you do..........
Yeah like Gaz said, it was featured in “Stranger Things”. It was kind of cool, because my son is a big Stranger Things nerd so he wanted to know more about Kate Bush, at which point I pulled out all the vinyls and we went through them together. As much as I dislike when things are popular (such a stupid opinion to have, I know), I’m so happy for this show bringing a lot of good music to the kids - same show also sparked a resurgence in Metallica’s “Master of Puppets” lately.
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:54 am
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Yeah like Gaz said, it was featured in “Stranger Things”. It was kind of cool, because my son is a big Stranger Things nerd so he wanted to know more about Kate Bush, at which point I pulled out all the vinyls and we went through them together. As much as I dislike when things are popular (such a stupid opinion to have, I know), I’m so happy for this show bringing a lot of good music to the kids - same show also sparked a resurgence in Metallica’s “Master of Puppets” lately.
The plural of vinyl is vinyl.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:16 am

LASERCD wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
introclaus wrote:
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Okay - thank you captain obvious. Nice of you making fun of someone who doesn’t have English as first language.
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:45 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:16 am
LASERCD wrote:
introclaus wrote:

Okay - thank you captain obvious. Nice of you making fun of someone who doesn’t have English as first language.
Captain Obvious should be capitalized.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:23 am

LASERCD wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:45 am
introclaus wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:16 am
LASERCD wrote:

Captain Obvious should be capitalized.
True
Claus Jensen

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:04 am
outprogged42 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:44 am

Threshold
Redemption
Hibernal
Theocracy
Who/what is Hibernal? I can't seem to find them on metal-archives.
It's a one-man project (mostly) that's gone back and forth between prog-rock, ambient, and Vangelis-like soundtrack music, sometimes all of them at once. I could see the musical component of the early works in particular appealing to the Porcupine Tree/Tool division of prog fans.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:01 pm

I've been stewing on this one since it was posted. It felt like this list was greatly diminished for me, but it's actually just morphed, which is comforting to me. I'm definitely going to miss some since I'm working from my phone, but c'est la vie.

Allegaeon
Animals as Leaders
Chaosbay
David Maxim Micic
Erra
Fallujah (I just got into these folks but based on the strength of their catalog I am all in)
Haken
In Flames (they fell out for a few albums but are back kicking so much ass I'm back to just buying the albums)
Kadinja
Lalu
Monuments
Pagan's Mind
Periphery
Persefone
Plini
Polyphia
Protest the Hero
Sevendust
Skyharbor
Solution .45
Sound Struggle
Spiritbox
Symphony X
Tesseract
Unprocessed
Voyager

Soilwork would have been there for the past 20 years but now they just sound like an awkwardly heavy Night Flight Orchestra and that's... not what I want from them.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Dream Theater
Kingcrow (I'm waaaaaaay late to them, but I anticipate their next being great...)
Arjen Lucassen's live stuff of his studio stuff. He's on the same wavelength as to what I judge to be his best stuff.

Former blind-buys:

Neal Morse Band. They went Crosby, Stills, & Nash on their last, so that killed it for me.
Transatlantic. Portnoy has declared them dead. Great stuff, but...yeah, enough.
There were a bunch of bands I could list, but I passed on their latest, so they're out of the 'blind buy' category.
Symphony X: Keep Angry Russ in check and I'm all over it. Otherwise, no.
Rush: I still don't own Snakes & Arrows, but Clockwork Angels is a late-career masterpiece.

I'm old, so I'm probably forgetting stuff. I don't even remember what I had for lunch.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)