What happened to the some of the older board posters?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

What happened to the some of the older board posters?

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 am

I noticed that folks like Guy, Stevie W, Troy, Todd and Dweeb seemed to have moved on from this board.... I hope they are well with their health or maybe their musical tastes changed?.............It's such a different board compared to what is use to be years ago .... So sad :(

Dusty

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: What happened to the some of the older board posters?

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:55 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 am
I noticed that folks like Guy, Stevie W, Troy, Todd and Dweeb seemed to have moved on from this board.... I hope they are well with their health or maybe their musical tastes changed?.............It's such a different board compared to what is use to be years ago .... So sad :(

Dusty
***Dusty - that's a complicated question. Everyone has a different situation, and I'd rather not post those things here in public ..... PM me if you want to know about someone specifically and I will try to answer on an individual basis.

Musical tastes have definitely changed in some, and then other reasons beyond that ....... me personally, I have not been listening to as much metal as I used to.....first, there isn't much metal being released that I like. second, I'm getting tired of some of the same formulas that some of my fav bands are using, see my Edenbridge post for that one. I've been hitting more Neo-Prog / Prog Rock instead, and I'm getting more enjoyment out of that genre that I am in metal. I haven't posted a lot on the specific bands because I don't feel that many left here are interested in that style. I'm talking the IQs, Arenas, Pendragons, etc ......

On a positive note - I am still in touch with all of those guys on a daily basis, and I see them many times throughout the year ....... so they are still around just not here posting.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:55 am

Hey Larry.
No problem. Glad to hear everyone is doing okay......It's cool, I don't need to know the reasons, as long as everyone is okay....Yea, I find myself listening to more easy listening 70s music these days as well as lots of New Age these days, so I do completely understand....

Anyway, thanks for letting me know!

Dusty

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:48 pm

I forgot to mention that the ironic part is that my girlfriend who's from the Philippines mentions that she likes more metal as compared to when she was younger, yet I'm gong in the opposite direction, go figure LOL. I still listen to lots of metal, although when I do listen to metal I find much of it is on the extreme side like Slaughter to Prevail, Nemophila, which are two bands nobody on this board would like LOL. But still enjoy some good heavy prog-metal from time to time....

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:58 pm

I've been listening to very little metal lately .......... some of the newer stuff like Vanden Plas, Virtual Symmetry, Edenbridge, the Conception re-masters, etc still get plays...... but since its Halloween, the whole month it has been mostly movie soundtracks, John Carpenter, scary movie compilations, etc etc .....and some horror orchestra music as well .....

Once today is over - it will be back to my steady diet as of late to Neo-Prog / Prog Rock / Pink Floyd style music ...... it has been fitting my mood better lately, and I've been plowing thru my IQ Archive set with excitement as well ..... Glenn has finally gotten me into Poets of the Fall, which I will discuss in another post, so I've been hunting those down, mostly to avail except a couple. Also because of Glenn I've been doing some God is an Astronaut, and on the side I've been doing some jazz like Diana Krall, Shirley Horn, Patricia Barber, and others ...... so basically I'm all over the place once Halloween is over.

I can't explain the lack of metal in my life at the moment, other than the lack of available good metal in the style that I like ...... or as I've been aging, I keep harping on the fact that most metal sounds like shit, and my tolerance level for shitty sound is getting lower and lower. All of the above.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:34 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:58 pm
I've been listening to very little metal lately .......... some of the newer stuff like Vanden Plas, Virtual Symmetry, Edenbridge, the Conception re-masters, etc still get plays...... but since its Halloween, the whole month it has been mostly movie soundtracks, John Carpenter, scary movie compilations, etc etc .....and some horror orchestra music as well .....

Once today is over - it will be back to my steady diet as of late to Neo-Prog / Prog Rock / Pink Floyd style music ...... it has been fitting my mood better lately, and I've been plowing thru my IQ Archive set with excitement as well ..... Glenn has finally gotten me into Poets of the Fall, which I will discuss in another post, so I've been hunting those down, mostly to avail except a couple. Also because of Glenn I've been doing some God is an Astronaut, and on the side I've been doing some jazz like Diana Krall, Shirley Horn, Patricia Barber, and others ...... so basically I'm all over the place once Halloween is over.

I can't explain the lack of metal in my life at the moment, other than the lack of available good metal in the style that I like ...... or as I've been aging, I keep harping on the fact that most metal sounds like shit, and my tolerance level for shitty sound is getting lower and lower. All of the above.
This whole “I won’t post because nobody cares about what I like” thing is getting old. It’s a ridiculous way to think on a forum where we all are friends or go in the same circles (at least to the point where all of us care about music enough to read and post), and it should be okay to post about any kind of music you truly like. I post about black and doom with little to no response, but that ain’t going to stop me unless someone tells me that it’s enough. As long as no one comes to me and says “we don’t care about your black and doom” I’m working under the assumption that someone reads and cares. You should do the same. Post about Poets of the Fall and I’ll be happy to chime in … I love the band. Go post about Arena and I’ll be happy to tell you my experiences with their music (and live shows haha). Tell me about something new that I never heard of and chances are I’ll give it a spin and perhaps I’ll end up loving it, and perhaps not. But keep making yourself a victim and “no one cares about my stuff” is not the way to go Larry. You know I’m supporting you here bro, but this is “tough love” :) let’s leave the negativity at the door and make this a place where people feel they belong and can post about their favorite music.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:04 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:34 pm
LarryD wrote:

This whole “I won’t post because nobody cares about what I like” thing is getting old. It’s a ridiculous way to think on a forum where we all are friends or go in the same circles (at least to the point where all of us care about music enough to read and post), and it should be okay to post about any kind of music you truly like. I post about black and doom with little to no response, but that ain’t going to stop me unless someone tells me that it’s enough. As long as no one comes to me and says “we don’t care about your black and doom” I’m working under the assumption that someone reads and cares. You should do the same. Post about Poets of the Fall and I’ll be happy to chime in … I love the band. Go post about Arena and I’ll be happy to tell you my experiences with their music (and live shows haha). Tell me about something new that I never heard of and chances are I’ll give it a spin and perhaps I’ll end up loving it, and perhaps not. But keep making yourself a victim and “no one cares about my stuff” is not the way to go Larry. You know I’m supporting you here bro, but this is “tough love” :) let’s leave the negativity at the door and make this a place where people feel they belong and can post about their favorite music.

****I didn't think I was playing the victim in my post above..... I was merely stating my reasons for not listening to much metal lately. I do appreciate your encouragement though, and will follow your lead. That said - in reality, if you look at some of the music I've been listening lately above, I honestly don't think posting about Diana Krall on a progressive music board is worth doing. Only because after 24 years of posting on this board, rather than post something that won't rate a response, I could better my time by doing something else, and I don't mean that in a negative way. You know that if I have something to say about the new Arena, IQ or something else of that magnitude that I'm going to post on it, but to post about the 1931 Philip Glass / Dracula soundtrack played on a piano is really (to me) a waste of time on my end and of board bandwidth, that's all I'm saying. So in the end, if it's relevant, I'll be posting about it .....

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:08 am

LarryD wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:04 am
introclaus wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:34 pm
LarryD wrote:

****I didn't think I was playing the victim in my post above..... I was merely stating my reasons for not listening to much metal lately. I do appreciate your encouragement though, and will follow your lead. That said - in reality, if you look at some of the music I've been listening lately above, I honestly don't think posting about Diana Krall on a progressive music board is worth doing. Only because after 24 years of posting on this board, rather than post something that won't rate a response, I could better my time by doing something else, and I don't mean that in a negative way. You know that if I have something to say about the new Arena, IQ or something else of that magnitude that I'm going to post on it, but to post about the 1931 Philip Glass / Dracula soundtrack played on a piano is really (to me) a waste of time on my end and of board bandwidth, that's all I'm saying. So in the end, if it's relevant, I'll be posting about it .....
Yea I know the feeling. Heck, I'm listening to the Carpenters and Bread right now, still two of my favorite bands of the 70s :) and then I'll probably break out my Kitaro collection, great relaxation music.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 am

Yea I know the feeling. Heck, I'm listening to the Carpenters and Bread right now, still two of my favorite bands of the 70s :) and then I'll probably break out my Kitaro collection, great relaxation music.......

***Funny you write this ..... I just finished up listening to Sting's greatest hits ......... haven't played him in such a long time it was good to hear him again. Speaking of Kitaro, did you ever hunt down his 4-in-one concert dvd ? After all these years of listening to him, it was finally good to see him in action in a live setting. He is amazing as you already know ......

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:57 am

I think the shortest answer is "posting here takes time and energy just like everything else and sometimes you ain't got spare." I mean, hell, I own this place and I don't make it around a lot of days because making it through life is just a lot.

That said, I'd also like to echo what Claus is saying (though with a bit less aggression lol). First and foremost this is a prog metal board, but it's also a metal music board, and a progressive music board, or maybe it's just a music forum for broadly like-minded folks. Personally I'm really interested in seeing whatever anyone's passionate about at any given time. I give everything posted here a fair shot and I've gotten my horizons pretty significantly expanded because of it. If you don't want to post it because it's a lot of work and you don't think anyone's going to care I would only push back on that last part. Personally, at least, I consider you all friends to some degree or another and I like hearing from you.

If it lowers the bar of entry I'm totally on board with making/pinning one long-running "What're you listening to now?" thread where we can just talk about what's holding our attention without having to feel like you have to do a dissertation on the whats and whys of the things you love. Clearly the "New Music Friday" thread has had legs because it's easy to just jump into and say "this new thing is great" and be done. Even lurkers and non-members are getting value out of that thread (I know because they've told me).

I'm getting rambly, but the gist is...post about whatever's got you going. It doesn't have to be a ton. I just love hearing from y'all even if I don't have the energy/brain/words to respond.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:57 am
That said, I'd also like to echo what Claus is saying (though with a bit less aggression lol).
The “aggression” is a mere joke that probably didn’t come across well here since y’all aren’t privy to the multiple weekly text messages between Larry and I calling each other names :)
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:02 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 am

***Funny you write this ..... I just finished up listening to Sting's greatest hits ......... haven't played him in such a long time it was good to hear him again. Speaking of Kitaro, did you ever hunt down his 4-in-one concert dvd ? After all these years of listening to him, it was finally good to see him in action in a live setting. He is amazing as you already know ......
Nope, never got that DVD you spoke of, although I did replace my "enchanted evening" kitaro VHS that I got way back in the late 90s, and finally have that one on DVD. He does put out amazing live shows!

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:38 am

introclaus wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:10 pm
Mardoch wrote:
That said, I'd also like to echo what Claus is saying (though with a bit less aggression lol).
The “aggression” is a mere joke that probably didn’t come across well here since y’all aren’t privy to the multiple weekly text messages between Larry and I calling each other names :)
Oh I know it's not "real" when pointed at grandpa Larry, haha.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:59 pm

Mardoch wrote:
I think the shortest answer is "posting here takes time and energy just like everything else and sometimes you ain't got spare." I mean, hell, I own this place and I don't make it around a lot of days because making it through life is just a lot.

That said, I'd also like to echo what Claus is saying (though with a bit less aggression lol). First and foremost this is a prog metal board, but it's also a metal music board, and a progressive music board, or maybe it's just a music forum for broadly like-minded folks. Personally I'm really interested in seeing whatever anyone's passionate about at any given time. I give everything posted here a fair shot and I've gotten my horizons pretty significantly expanded because of it. If you don't want to post it because it's a lot of work and you don't think anyone's going to care I would only push back on that last part. Personally, at least, I consider you all friends to some degree or another and I like hearing from you.

If it lowers the bar of entry I'm totally on board with making/pinning one long-running "What're you listening to now?" thread where we can just talk about what's holding our attention without having to feel like you have to do a dissertation on the whats and whys of the things you love. Clearly the "New Music Friday" thread has had legs because it's easy to just jump into and say "this new thing is great" and be done. Even lurkers and non-members are getting value out of that thread (I know because they've told me).

I'm getting rambly, but the gist is...post about whatever's got you going. It doesn't have to be a ton. I just love hearing from y'all even if I don't have the energy/brain/words to respond.
I know what you mean about it taking time and energy..... Heck over the last year and 1/2 I've wasted so much time on social media that I'm thinking of deleting my facebook account for good...Talk about a big time waster!! Sometimes I wish I could also delete youtube lol.... I'm always falling down that stupid youtube wormhole due to the youtube algorithm constantly showing me bands/songs/concerts that I end up checking out......Such a fucking waste of time.

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:23 pm

Dusty,

I'm still around just don't come here as often as I used to. I've been going through a music burnout for a few years now, so I haven't been passionate about learning about new bands. I still listen to what I have and pick up releases from bands I like, but that's about it. Usually when burnout happens, I just take a break for a while and then the passion comes back but this one is been pretty long. I've also been spending more time on other interests, so when I have spare time I tend to spend it on those rather than coming here as often.

Guy

TROY or maybe DEBBIE

Post by TROY or maybe DEBBIE » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi!
You guys are like reverse sirens...

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:37 pm

I'm back. Weirdly, I've let the 3 years of working from home (and it will be that going forward) really negatively impact my music listening. I realized a while ago that NOT listening was negatively impacting my mood, and yet I've still been slow to get back in the swing of things. Maybe it's mostly not finding much new stuff that is doing it for me. I'm working on it.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)