EDENBRIDGE / Shangri-La.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

EDENBRIDGE / Shangri-La.......

Post by LarryD » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:26 pm

I figure there are about 3 people total here that would even consider buying this disc - so I'll keep it short.

If you are remotely interested in this band, then you know ahead of time what you are getting ..... nothing has changed here. Artwork - beautiful. Songs - some beautiful.
Sabine - beautiful. You get the complimentary choir-filled, speedy, double bass style of early on Edenbridge ..... then you get 2 absolutely stunning ballads that really showcase Sabine's beautiful (although aging) voice ..... you also get the complimentary 16:00 closing song (The Bonding - Part 2) that is equally stunning. If Edenbridge could somehow manage to keep that Bonding style pace up throughout the disc, I think more people would keep their interest going in the band ......you also get a 2nd CD that is instrumental only .....

There were parts throughout the disc where I had to listen really close to see if it was Sabine singing or not ...... almost gone is the whispering / angelic tones of a younger Sabine and in its place is a more mature ( still angelic ) tone to her voice .... how can it not given we all have to age sooner or later.....

Overall - it's Edenbridge. The Bonding Part 2 is about as good as it gets as far as Edenbridge and great songwriting go ..... you know from other discs that their endings are usually bombastic proggy numbers that you wish would keep going on forever..... same here. The two ballads are superb as well when they slow down and show off Sabine's voice. Past that it's how much "regular" Edenbridge you want to hear ....... I love most of it, although the formula has long gotten old for me to continue with the "loving" stage of the band.... I may just rip a CD of all of their closing songs from the past 10 discs and rejoice in the moment ......

Here is a 4:00 clip of the 16:00 The Bonding ..........

introclaus

Re: EDENBRIDGE / Shangri-La.......

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:30 pm

I just counted 6 Edenbridge (and 3 Lanvall) albums in my collection ... I think that's about 4 too many, as I honestly never go back and listen to them. Not saying Sabine isn't a great vocalist, or that Arne (Lanvall) isn't a really good composer and guitarist, but it just becomes the same way too fast. From what I've heard of the new album, it's the same stuff all over again, and I don't need that. I do agree with you on Sabine's tone having become more mature, but she's also pushing 50 now, so ...
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:30 pm
I just counted 6 Edenbridge (and 3 Lanvall) albums in my collection ... I think that's about 4 too many, as I honestly never go back and listen to them. Not saying Sabine isn't a great vocalist, or that Arne (Lanvall) isn't a really good composer and guitarist, but it just becomes the same way too fast. From what I've heard of the new album, it's the same stuff all over again, and I don't need that. I do agree with you on Sabine's tone having become more mature, but she's also pushing 50 now, so ...

****Don't even think about dissing my Sabine .......... :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm gradually trying to clean out the collection, and working through all my old discs to thin the herd a wee bit..... Actually JUST started listening to all the old Edenbridges last week, and Shangi-La just arrived today from Ken.

Through the first three albums, and everything continues to track just as I remember.... All GOOD discs, none of them GREAT. 3-4 really good songs on each, and the rest are.... fine? Nothing bad, ever, but always feels like they are at about 80% of their potential.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:58 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:36 pm
I'm gradually trying to clean out the collection, and working through all my old discs to thin the herd a wee bit..... Actually JUST started listening to all the old Edenbridges last week, and Shangi-La just arrived today from Ken.

Through the first three albums, and everything continues to track just as I remember.... All GOOD discs, none of them GREAT. 3-4 really good songs on each, and the rest are.... fine? Nothing bad, ever, but always feels like they are at about 80% of their potential.
***I've been waiting for you weigh in on this, since I believe that you and I are probably the only two who bought this one ....... :wink:
That said, I'm really enjoying this one for what it is ...... it's just Edenbridge only a step better with each release........but here, Sabine's voice has matured, and the obligatory long ending song is excellent as well ........ the two ballads showcasing Sabine's voice are beautiful, and the rest of the songs are - well, Edenbridge. It's what you get with each EB release......

Ultimately - this could be my last EB purchase, unless they put out an anniversary bluray concert, a concert with a symphony orchestra, or Sabine releases another solo disc (highly unlikely I'd say). I've got enough Edenbridge in the collection, and I'm in the weeding out process like you ...... so unless it's something like I mentioned, I won't be buying anymore Edenbridge in the future - unless you buy it first, and then tell me it's the best thing they have ever released....... :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:36 am

Ultimately - this could be my last EB purchase, unless they put out an anniversary bluray concert, a concert with a symphony orchestra, or Sabine releases another solo disc (highly unlikely I'd say). I've got enough Edenbridge in the collection, and I'm in the weeding out process like you ...... so unless it's something like I mentioned, I won't be buying anymore Edenbridge in the future - unless you buy it first, and then tell me it's the best thing they have ever released....... :wink:
Pretty sure you have said the same thing after the last 2-3 releases! :)

There are certain bands that I know exactly what I am getting any time a new album comes out. Vanden Plas, Threshold, and Edenbridge are all examples where I know EXACTLY what that album is going to sound like without hearing a single note. (Granted, VP and Threshold are much higher on my quality spectrum than Edenbridge, but analogy still holds.....) So long as they keep putting out new albums, I'll keep on adding them....

Onto "The Grand Design" on the commute in this morning (I accidentally skipped "Shine"), and again another one where the opening track "Terra Nova" Is GREAT, and is everything I want out of the band, and then the next five songs are all in that safe, good-ish range but nothing overly memorable..... And like you said, I know it will close with a pseudo-epic track that will also be great.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:52 am

Pretty sure you have said the same thing after the last 2-3 releases! :)

****This is it !!!! I'm telling you .... I'm much older and wiser this time around ........ well........ :wink:

There are certain bands that I know exactly what I am getting any time a new album comes out. Vanden Plas, Threshold, and Edenbridge are all examples where I know EXACTLY what that album is going to sound like without hearing a single note. (Granted, VP and Threshold are much higher on my quality spectrum than Edenbridge, but analogy still holds.....) So long as they keep putting out new albums, I'll keep on adding them....
****Ditto here - and yes to all of those bands. Although I have to admit, there are certian bands in this category that I am starting to feel it is not going to happen like this anymore..... we should start a separate post for this alone.

Onto "The Grand Design" on the commute in this morning (I accidentally skipped "Shine"), and again another one where the opening track "Terra Nova" Is GREAT, and is everything I want out of the band, and then the next five songs are all in that safe, good-ish range but nothing overly memorable..... And like you said, I know it will close with a pseudo-epic track that will also be great.
***Great disc - The Grand Design. I think this was where they started to get into that grandiose style that they are now known for ...... and I loved the extra kick in the pants they started to give me ...... Shine is a great disc too. I really enjoy that one, and having this converaation is making me want to do what you are doing and go thru the catalog. That may happen, but keep em coming !!!!!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 am

Spun most of "Shine" on the way in this morning..... Through the first five studio albums, this one is the best / deepest of the bunch. Probably four out of the first five tracks all jumped right out instantly again, which for Edenbridge is a lot! :)