The band Asia?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

The band Asia?

Post by GaetanL » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:19 pm

I have nothing from this band. I'll probably at least buy the first album which I heard. This is sometimes considered neo-prog but I'm not sure it is more prog than let's say Journey. Maybe it's just because this supergroup was formed by musicians from old school progressive rock bands of the 70s. I'm not sure how far I wanna go into their discography. Please guide me.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Re: The band Asia?

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:55 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:19 pm
I have nothing from this band. I'll probably at least buy the first album which I heard. This is sometimes considered neo-prog but I'm not sure it is more prog than let's say Journey. Maybe it's just because this supergroup was formed by musicians from old school progressive rock bands of the 70s. I'm not sure how far I wanna go into their discography. Please guide me.
I think I have most of their releases, and while obviously I agree with most fans that the first three were the big/classic ones (the commercial supergroup hits), I find myself preferring their middle period of “Aria” (1994), “Arena” (1996) and “Aura” (2001) as I deem this to be their best and most “progressive” material … that said, don’t expect progressive like King Crimson or Yes or anything like that. It’s more melodic with AOR leanings and almost a neo-prog sound to it.

Also, for some reason I find their final album “Gravitas” (2014) absolutely stunning - with songs like Joe Dimagio’s Glove and Russian Dolls to be incredibly beautiful. It might be the underdog in their catalog but such a cool disc though.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:06 pm

The reunion concert "Fantasia - Live In Tokyo" on Blu-ray (2007) is excellent!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:56 pm

I do really enjoy the first album. There are splashes of prog to complement the AOR/neo sound. The first three songs are the ones you hear on the radio. The first two more than the third.