All Things Fallen

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

All Things Fallen

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:17 pm

Not finding much mention of them on here aside from appearing on a couple year end lists..... Bought this almost blind off Lasers Edge by description (and listening to about 30 second on YouTube). I would think the old school stalwarts like myself would dig this quite a bit..... Blending of Evergrey/Tragodia with power metal ala Kamelot/Serenity. A few songs also have violin/viola/cello, which is a REALLY nice add. Heavy and melodic, best new stuff I've heard all year.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoEnM9zPniM[/youtube]
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

prog_powermetal99

Re: All Things Fallen

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:50 pm

sounds pretty cool to my ears. .... I may have to look into this. thanks for the tip. !

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:16 am

I just picked it up myself. I have their ep from a while back and enjoyed it quite much. The vocalist has a little Andy Kuntz in his delivery and tone. At least on the ep. I’ll be listening to the new one on repeat today while locating cables!!! Nothing like rocking out while working.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:19 pm

I found it a little "too" 80-ish melodic metal ...... or am I missing something ? Vocals were very good ........music is very good as well just a little "dated" from what I'm hearing ? I should love this ...... but my aging ears don't ........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm

I found it a little "too" 80-ish melodic metal ...... or am I missing something ? Vocals were very good ........music is very good as well just a little "dated" from what I'm hearing ? I should love this ...... but my aging ears don't ........
I'm at a loss on that one..... There's nothing on here that makes me think 80s at all. I hear an amalgamation of bits of different old school prog/power/metal bands, but all circa early 2000s. Flashes of different pieces, but Evergrey is probably dominant musically. MidKnight said the vocals gave him a bit of a Terrance Holler (Eldritch) vibe at times, and there are lines where I can hear that, but overall he's got a unique sound that doesn't quite fit the music like I expect, but still totally works.... Yes, I'd agree with "dated", but only in so much as maybe 15 years or so? And that is a GOOD thing for me.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 am

I'm at a loss on that one..... There's nothing on here that makes me think 80s at all. I hear an amalgamation of bits of different old school prog/power/metal bands, but all circa early 2000s. Flashes of different pieces, but Evergrey is probably dominant musically. MidKnight said the vocals gave him a bit of a Terrance Holler (Eldritch) vibe at times, and there are lines where I can hear that, but overall he's got a unique sound that doesn't quite fit the music like I expect, but still totally works.... Yes, I'd agree with "dated", but only in so much as maybe 15 years or so? And that is a GOOD thing for me.....

****I normally don't mind dated music - like you said about 15 years ago. Hell, Superior still reigns high and mighty for me since 1995. But to me, ATF is pretty basic melodic metal, something I don't listen to much anymore, it just doesn't make my ears ring. I only went thru it once, and I didn't hear much prog in there, and I just kept thinking " this is really done well but I wouldn't come back to it " ......

Now I just ordered the Virtual Symmetry and Anima Morte and we will see what happens then ....... :wink: