Site Admin

Re: Virtual Symmetry

Post by LarryD » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Mine is on the way..............

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:28 am

Been spending some time with this one ...... I would say that this is their most technical release to date as there is a lot going on here. Those who like their prog metal played a little more on the complex will do well with this one. It seems as though they have upped their "chops" game and it's on full display here. After a couple of listens, I'm trying to get a comparison in my head and it is very difficult to do. I would have to say that this is Dream Theater inspired prog metal injected with the modern aspects of Pagan's Mind (especially the keyboards)..... at first I wanted to say some Threshold but it is much too complex to go there......

The singer might be a bit of a problem for some ..... he is really good, and his Italian accent is on display here....his normal to mid-range tone is excellent, but as on other Virtual discs, when he goes high his voice has a natural tendency to become screechy and it does make me stop a couple of times and wish he hadn't. Other than that, it is full on complex prog metal - I would not call this classic prog metal even though I mention DT in the comparison .... it is too modern sounding in the production, performance and style to use the word classic so if you like what Pagan's Mind was going for in their last few discs, that's the sound I'm talking about.

I don't think many bands are doing this style of prog metal much anymore - it's refreshing to hear Virtual Symmetry release their music and to be able to say how fresh and energetic it sounds...... there is something "sci-fi", modern and refreshing about this band. If you like that complex / melodic / long prog songs approach, then you will love what this band is doing ......

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:01 pm

Thanks for the tip Larry. I'm a huge fan of singer Marco Pastorino and I think he has one of the best voices in metal(but I know he's an acquired taste and many won't care for him).... I know you aren't big into power metal, but I love his work with bands like Temperance and Fallen Sanctuary.... I have yet to hear Virtual Symmetry, but I look forward to!

Dusty

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Marco is great in some bands.

His work with both Even Flow and Flames of Heaven are stellar with no screech. He mostly sounds like Luppi on those, which is a win every time.

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:34 pm