VOYAGER / A Voyage thru Time - Bluray Concert

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

VOYAGER / A Voyage thru Time - Bluray Concert

Post by LarryD » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:08 pm

Finally - another band releasing a bluray show ....... here comes Voyager, and long over due I'd say because if there is any band that needs to be seen live, it is Voyager........

Just ordered mine from The Lasers Edge !!!!!

First Vanden Plas, now Voyager....... another plea to Symphony X - where the hell is your bluray (or DVD at this point) ????

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgbs8FIo3HT/

Sir Exar Kun

Re: VOYAGER / A Voyage thru Time - Bluray Concert

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:20 pm

Where's the covers medley?!? Isn't that a requirement of every Voyager show???
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:20 pm
****Yes !!!! And I wish you hadn't told me that as I didn't look at the setlist and bought it blind ....... I would have anyway, but man how can they leave that out ???? That was so much fun having that injected into the middle of the show ..... damn. But I'll take a bluray of this band any day ...........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am

Honestly, this is one of those bands that has inexplicably just never clicked for me..... I can't explain why, as it has all the elements I normally dig. I've tried several times, and just...... Nada!

But to second your point.... Seriously..... How many bands will pop out Blu Rays this year, and yet Symphony X???? Nothing!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:51 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:38 am
Honestly, this is one of those bands that has inexplicably just never clicked for me..... I can't explain why, as it has all the elements I normally dig. I've tried several times, and just...... Nada!

But to second your point.... Seriously..... How many bands will pop out Blu Rays this year, and yet Symphony X???? Nothing!

****Jay, strangely when I put on a Voyager disc, about halfway thru I start getting a bit fatigued (not because of old age) depending on what disc it is ..... some of them I can get thru all the way no problem. But - live is where this band thrives. They have so much energy and put on a fun show while showing off their chops at the same time..... Each time I have seen them, they blew me away with ease...... but that medley in between is so much fun and nostalgic, they really know how to entertain.

Now I'm not sure if this is one of those " filmed before no audience during Covid " things, or a full on production, but either way - it's going to be great to have a live show of them for the collection.

I cannot figure out for the life of me - why SX doesn't release a video. I don't care if it's DVD at this point. You just went on an "anniversary tour" with your best (debatable) songs in tow, and you don't film it ? How about Divine Wings in it's entirety to leave your mark on us forever ? Or do the whole "V" disc in the middle of your greatest hits..... People say it's the money thing - but so many lesser bands released shows, and bands that had nowhere the history and length of SX. It simply just boggles.

Man I can think of so many things they could do to make it a special event ...... and make it so easy to film. Theoretically ......

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am

You just went on an "anniversary tour" with your best (debatable) songs in tow, and you don't film it ?
Did you see the set list they were playing for the "anniversary" shows? It wasn't even really an "anniversary" focused set list! Ten songs, four of them from Underworld.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:11 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am
You just went on an "anniversary tour" with your best (debatable) songs in tow, and you don't film it ?
Did you see the set list they were playing for the "anniversary" shows? It wasn't even really an "anniversary" focused set list! Ten songs, four of them from Underworld.
****Yes I saw that and could only scratch my head in wonder.......... :cry:

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:48 pm

A good friend of mine was band-mates with Michael Romeo back in Jersey when he was growing up. I think he's still in touch with Romeo. I'll see if he can ask him why they haven't pout out a Live DVD yet..... I'll be interested to see what his response is.............

Dusty

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:15 am

LarryD wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
****Yes !!!! And I wish you hadn't told me that as I didn't look at the setlist and bought it blind ....... I would have anyway, but man how can they leave that out ???? That was so much fun having that injected into the middle of the show ..... damn. But I'll take a bluray of this band any day ...........
Probably they'd have to pay royalties to the original songwriter(s).

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:40 am

gazinwales wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:15 am
LarryD wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am
Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Probably they'd have to pay royalties to the original songwriter(s).
The issue isn’t just having to pay royalties. Video is treated differently than audio. You have to get the proper license from the rights holder. In this case they would have to get the license for each song in the covers medley. So either they couldn’t get clearances or didn’t want to bother or ,having done that, paid out royalties to the rights holders.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:19 am

[/quote]
The issue isn’t just having to pay royalties. Video is treated differently than audio. You have to get the proper license from the rights holder. In this case they would have to get the license for each song in the covers medley. So either they couldn’t get clearances or didn’t want to bother or ,having done that, paid out royalties to the rights holders.
[/quote]

****I didn't even think of that in my excitement .......makes total sense now. Now Ken - maybe you can theorize why Symphony hasn't put out anything on video to date ?
Can it be as simple as money ?

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:50 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:19 am
[/quote]

****I didn't even think of that in my excitement .......makes total sense now. Now Ken - maybe you can theorize why Symphony hasn't put out anything on video to date ?
Can it be as simple as money ?
[/quote]

They obviously don’t want a live video document. Only the band and their management knows why. They’ve had many opportunities over the years. Its not like they don’t tour. On the surface it makes no sense. They are leaving money on the table and their fans want it. There is a reason we are not privvy to.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 am

Back to the Voyager bluray ........ I'm floored.

First off, this is one of those shows that was filmed without an audience - so be aware of that. I was sure that concept was going to sway me to not like this from the very start. I was wrong. Voyager takes you thru their career with this show, and Danny pays homage to past Voyager members along the way (class act). It is pretty funny to watch Danny parade around and make jokes with the ghost crowd.....

In the end, it is all about the music and performance, and Voyager delivers in mass amounts of energy, melodies, and performance. They bring the energy right to your television and I'm still wondering how they did it ...... the sound and visuals are excellent as well, but beware - those of you that have problems with flashing lights and constantly moving cameras, etc - you will feel some vertigo if you are prone to that ......

With each song, I was drawn further and further into the show, and I was amazed at how much better this show got along the way ....... the ending is a little anti-climatic I will say that, not to spoil anything, but it was rather abrupt and unexpected for such a high energy performance right before it ......

I concluded that this show was stunning. So glad to finally have any live showing from this band .........they do it right.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:29 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:08 pm
another plea to Symphony X - where the hell is your bluray (or DVD at this point) ????
There is one DVD! The Gigantour DVD released in 2006. OK, you get only 2 songs from Symphony X but it's better than nothing. Also 2 songs from Dream Theater! This would make at least 4 songs you would like!
I had this DVD on my mind for a long time. This DVD is out of print now. I just ordered it used!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:13 am

GaetanL wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:29 pm
LarryD wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:08 pm
another plea to Symphony X - where the hell is your bluray (or DVD at this point) ????
There is one DVD! The Gigantour DVD released in 2006. OK, you get only 2 songs from Symphony X but it's better than nothing. Also 2 songs from Dream Theater! This would make at least 4 songs you would like!
I had this DVD on my mind for a long time. This DVD is out of print now. I just ordered it used!
****Hi Gaetan - I'm not counting that as a DVD concert ....... 2 songs does not constitute a full concert, and it probably wasn't their idea to do that anyway .......they really need to release something of their own.