Seventh Wonder - The Testament...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Seventh Wonder - The Testament...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:07 am

Been a slow 2022. Finally something worthy! :D June 10th Frontiers label.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: Seventh Wonder - The Testament...

Post by Mardoch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:59 am

Frontiers sure has become the place for powerprog, hasn't it? I'll be happy to check this out when it comes around.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:31 am

Add to that a new Haken dropping soon too.... 2022 is definitely picking up.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 am

Its about time -- slowest year start ever.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:42 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 am
Don't you say that every year? :lol:

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:52 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:42 pm
LarryD wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 am
Don't you say that every year? :lol:
***It gets progressively worse as I get progressively older. :cry:

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:31 am
Add to that a new Haken dropping soon too.... 2022 is definitely picking up.
I hope so. Didn't see this on an upcoming list yet. Expand my major excitement level to 2 things. Possibly 3 since I just saw a new J Labrie in May.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:39 am

It's weird, I'm a big seventh wonder fan, and I harven't heard Tiara yet....I know it had mixed reviews, which has had me hesitant to buy it, and I haven't even heard a song on it, still wondering if it's worth getting?

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:59 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:39 am
It's weird, I'm a big seventh wonder fan, and I harven't heard Tiara yet....I know it had mixed reviews, which has had me hesitant to buy it, and I haven't even heard a song on it, still wondering if it's worth getting?
***Knowing what I now know about it - I wouldn't buy it all over again ........ some songs were really good, but the rest to me were forgettable. It just doesn't have the urgency or staying power of some of the previous discs. Maybe this one will be much better given the time in between ........

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:02 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:59 am
***Knowing what I now know about it - I wouldn't buy it all over again ........ some songs were really good, but the rest to me were forgettable. It just doesn't have the urgency or staying power of some of the previous discs. Maybe this one will be much better given the time in between ........
WOW! I can't believe what I'm reading and you've said some shocking things over the years.
Have to disagree here. This CD is absolutely amazing IMO!

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Not to be hyperbolic but Tiara is my favorite album of the decade 2011-2020.

I don't expect or need Testament to even approach Tiara. In order to be a good - even great - album for me, it only has to be half as good or so as Tiara was.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:42 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:02 pm
LarryD wrote:
WOW! I can't believe what I'm reading and you've said some shocking things over the years.
Have to disagree here. This CD is absolutely amazing IMO!
****This one just felt rushed and obligatory ...... it did not generate the excitement that I have known from SW in the past. Yes some great songs, but overall I never reach for this one when I'm in a SW mood.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:30 pm

SW tends to get lost within their convoluted stories and concept albums. They need to just write songs. They van be related, no problem. Writing a linear story along with music takes away some of the organic writing they clearly are capable of. Tiara was impossible to follow.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm

LarryD wrote:
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:39 am
I guess I'm in the "Tommy can sing from a phonebook, and I'd still buy it!" camp :). A recent review I read mentioned it's some of the best vocal work Tommy's ever done, this alone it probably an indication that I'll probably buy it..... It's weird because I had planned to buy it since I'm a huge Seventh Wonder fan, but life's finances got in the way and then I just forgot about it. But I also didn't want to hear any spoilers from the record, so I steered clear of audio clips.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:38 am

New single, Warriors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkIS4i5F8g

I quite like it. It excites me more than the last album did.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:08 am

All other bands can start fighting for the #2 spot on my best of 2022 list. Not that my expectations are high or anything. :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:40 pm

If the rest of the disc is like that song - I'm on board 125%. That song sounded incredible.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Mon May 02, 2022 1:16 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:40 pm
If the rest of the disc is like that song - I'm on board 125%. That song sounded incredible.

Okay, Larry. You'd better start getting ready for probably 145 percent at least. New tune is out today...

https://youtu.be/OmCFMSReKEc

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon May 02, 2022 6:47 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:16 pm
LarryD wrote:

Okay, Larry. You'd better start getting ready for probably 145 percent at least. New tune is out today...

First song was great - this one was underwhelming ... I've been listening to it probably 10-15 times today and don't remember a single thing from it :(
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue May 03, 2022 7:01 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:47 pm
Random Axe wrote:
LarryD wrote:

First song was great - this one was underwhelming ... I've been listening to it probably 10-15 times today and don't remember a single thing from it :(
***Way too much on the poppy side for me at this point ....... I'm hoping that this is the "single" off the disc ... and the rest will follow like the previous song.......

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed May 04, 2022 4:28 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:01 am
introclaus wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:47 pm
Random Axe wrote:

***Way too much on the poppy side for me at this point ....... I'm hoping that this is the "single" off the disc ... and the rest will follow like the previous song.......

If you like less poppy, then try Tiara, that's definitely less poppy and more proggy.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed May 04, 2022 8:36 pm

Maybe I'm just starved this year, but for me this is shit yo pants good. Poppy is fine in doses. This is the band that recorded Alley Cat, so let's maintain some perspective. If you stayed till the end of this song they broke out the prog similar you the middle section of Wiseman.

I thought Tiara was a huge letdown conceptually. This seems far more focused.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 am

Random Axe wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:36 pm
Maybe I'm just starved this year, but for me this is shit yo pants good. Poppy is fine in doses. This is the band that recorded Alley Cat, so let's maintain some perspective. If you stayed till the end of this song they broke out the prog similar you the middle section of Wiseman.

That's a good point! Alley Cat is as poppy as it gets!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 am
Random Axe wrote:

Nothing against poppy … alley cat was a great song. The problem is that there’s nothing memorable (to me at least) about the new song. By now I’ve listened to it 20 times or more, no joke, and I can’t for the life of me get a “sense of purpose” from the tune. It’s just bland. The first single was good and I still am hopeful for the album, but … meh …
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu May 05, 2022 3:14 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 am
Random Axe wrote:

Nothing against poppy … alley cat was a great song. The problem is that there’s nothing memorable (to me at least) about the new song. By now I’ve listened to it 20 times or more, no joke, and I can’t for the life of me get a “sense of purpose” from the tune. It’s just bland. The first single was good and I still am hopeful for the album, but … meh …
That's why music is 100% subjective, just like paintings.... For example, I absolutely can't stand alley cat. I just find the chorus very annoying and the song boring. It's the only song off of The Great Escape that I actually skip..... Yet I absolutely love the latest single they just released from Testament. Love the chorus and the amazing bass work as well, not to mention Tommy's God like vocals.
It just goes to show ya how 100% subjective music truly is............... There is no right and there is no wrong...........

Although, Seventh Wonder are one of the very few prog bands I listen to these days. These days, most prog bores me too tears and instead I find myself gravitating more towards power metal or melodic metal, something that has hooks.... But on workout days, I put on Slaughter to Prevail for energy and those insane and brutal breakdowns :)

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat May 07, 2022 3:13 pm

The samples we heard may be suffering from a bad online/youtube mix or maybe it is mixed poorly. Tommy is doing some cool, subtle runs and vocal gymnastics on this track but the guitar is so loud you don't pick up on them. I still love the songs but maybe there's a production issue?

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat May 07, 2022 6:02 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:13 pm
The samples we heard may be suffering from a bad online/youtube mix or maybe it is mixed poorly. Tommy is doing some cool, subtle runs and vocal gymnastics on this track but the guitar is so loud you don't pick up on them. I still love the songs but maybe there's a production issue?

Speaking of Tommy, this is probably my favorite Tommy interview ever.... 2 hours long and really gets into his vocal runs and embellishments and how he sings etc....and it's done by my favorite interviewer/voice coach, The Charismatic Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwD54IcZgzo&t=3535s

On a side note, I never knew Tommy was a fire fighter for many many years.....It was also strange to hear how he really hates his own voice....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat May 07, 2022 7:32 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sound is fine - I purchased the songs and they all sounds like expected for a band with a budget of theirs … it’s not a major label production but it’s perfectly fine. Then again, I’m not an audiophile.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun May 08, 2022 8:04 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:32 pm
Random Axe wrote:
Sound is fine - I purchased the songs and they all sounds like expected for a band with a budget of theirs … it’s not a major label production but it’s perfectly fine. Then again, I’m not an audiophile.
****Well at least this is good news ....... SW have always had a decent sound, so I don't worry about that from them ....... looking forward to hearing the rest of the disc......

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Welp, tomorrow is the big release day! So far I've enjoyed the several songs I've heard from the new one via the band releasing them on youtube.... Because it's not conceptual, they seem to flow better...... Some amazing musicianship and vocals as always! Mercy Falls will always be my favorite I think, even though, "The Great Escape" will always be my favorite song by them........I'll be curious what others have to say once they've had a chance to digest this new one..........

Dusty

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:30 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:01 pm
Welp, tomorrow is the big release day! So far I've enjoyed the several songs I've heard from the new one via the band releasing them on youtube.... Because it's not conceptual, they seem to flow better...... Some amazing musicianship and vocals as always! Mercy Falls will always be my favorite I think, even though, "The Great Escape" will always be my favorite song by them........I'll be curious what others have to say once they've had a chance to digest this new one..........

Dusty

***I think this is really going to be a winner for me ...... I'm loving the tunes I've heard so far ....... Tommy sounds amazing and the band seems to be refreshed. I can't imagine not liking the rest of it ....... like Dusty, Mercy Falls will always be my fav, but I'm looking forward to this one as well ......

Kez

Post by Kez » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:29 pm

It's really good.
But I'm a fanboy.
But it's really good.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:08 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:30 pm
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Dusty

***I think this is really going to be a winner for me ...... I'm loving the tunes I've heard so far ....... Tommy sounds amazing and the band seems to be refreshed. I can't imagine not liking the rest of it ....... like Dusty, Mercy Falls will always be my fav, but I'm looking forward to this one as well ......

it's such a short album too for seventh wonder. I think it's around 50 to 55 minutes, .......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:11 am

This is - unfortunately - a huge let down for me. I don’t really know why, because “Tiara” wasn’t a very good disc at all, and of the two singles released for this new one, only “Warriors” appealed to my tastes. I guess I should have expected this one to be along those lines as well.

I’ve been through entire album 4 times so far, so perhaps my opinion will change later on, but so far I hear perhaps one or two songs besides “Warriors” that’s any good. The rest are bland at best, and boring at most.

Obviously the playing skills are great, but the songwriting seems extremely repetitive of what they’ve done in the past, but with less quality, less energy and more focus on the cheesy aspects. And by golly that keyboard sound is finally getting to me … so annoyingly 90s sounding. The keyboards are a huge part of what ruins the experience for me (and I do like keyboards normally).

Oh well, I bought the album since I’m a “fan boy” of the band and their previous albums, but so far this is their lowest ranking album with Tommy at the mic, and only a tad better than the debut.

Larry, this album is for you - it’s bland prog metal lite - enjoy :)
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:30 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:11 am
This is - unfortunately - a huge let down for me. I don’t really know why, because “Tiara” wasn’t a very good disc at all, and of the two singles released for this new one, only “Warriors” appealed to my tastes. I guess I should have expected this one to be along those lines as well.

I’ve been through entire album 4 times so far, so perhaps my opinion will change later on, but so far I hear perhaps one or two songs besides “Warriors” that’s any good. The rest are bland at best, and boring at most.

Obviously the playing skills are great, but the songwriting seems extremely repetitive of what they’ve done in the past, but with less quality, less energy and more focus on the cheesy aspects. And by golly that keyboard sound is finally getting to me … so annoyingly 90s sounding. The keyboards are a huge part of what ruins the experience for me (and I do like keyboards normally).

Oh well, I bought the album since I’m a “fan boy” of the band and their previous albums, but so far this is their lowest ranking album with Tommy at the mic, and only a tad better than the debut.

Larry, this album is for you - it’s bland prog metal lite - enjoy :)

I'm surprised you feel this way.... I'm finding lots of catchy melodies and vocal runs and insane musicianship than ever before and even some times I find it reminding me a bit of Mercy Falls without sounding like Mercy Falls.........Everytime I go through this it gets better and better. It's not surprising that it's getting such favorable reviews from the metal media............Plus, I'm hearing more SONGS and not a bunch of prog metal wankery, aka Dream Theater.....
But key claus, I totally respect your different opinion, just a bit shocked by what you are hearing.... Isn't it fascinating how 2 different sets of ears can hear two different things? :)