Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:19 pm

New CD 5/20/22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIVFlecEGj0

Enjoyed their 1st 3 releases. Last one was kinda meh. Hopefully this one will rock again.

introclaus

Re: Spheric Universe Experience - Back Home...

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:51 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:19 pm
New CD 5/20/22

Enjoyed their 1st 3 releases. Last one was kinda meh. Hopefully this one will rock again.
I've had the album for quite some time now and I think it's great. Definitely better than the last one, and probably also better than "Unreal". I have such a love for the first two albums that it's going to be hard to compare with those, and it would be unfair to the upcoming album to do so. Let's just say that it has lots of fancy-ass prog metal goodness like the first two albums did, but also a few hints of more modern influences like the last two. But clearly better than "The New Eve" which in retrospect was a misstep on the band's part (and probably also on my own part as the band's manager back then by not speaking up) ... oh well!
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:02 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:51 pm
Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:19 pm
New CD 5/20/22

I've had the album for quite some time now and I think it's great. Definitely better than the last one, and probably also better than "Unreal". I have such a love for the first two albums that it's going to be hard to compare with those, and it would be unfair to the upcoming album to do so. Let's just say that it has lots of fancy-ass prog metal goodness like the first two albums did, but also a few hints of more modern influences like the last two. But clearly better than "The New Eve" which in retrospect was a misstep on the band's part (and probably also on my own part as the band's manager back then by not speaking up) ... oh well!
Ohhh that's exciting. I've been wondering if these folks would put out another disc as I loved the first 3 so much. Unreal was easily one of my favorite albums around when it came out. This single is pretty promising, but I'm hoping there's some more of that heaviness they've delivered in the past.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:28 pm

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue May 03, 2022 10:59 am

Good tune. Not super exceptional, but not every single has to be.

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 am

I was in Nice on vacation before seeing Night of the Prog 2018 in Germany and spent a couple of days with Fred and his girlfriend, and saw the studio where some of the SUE albums were recorded. I heard some of the instrumental demos of the disc at the time and was really impressed with the technicality and subtle musicianship thrown into the relatively concise song structures. What I'm hearing from these two songs is in line with what I remember and with what Claus says. I'm hearing Symphony X and Queen influences a lot, as well as some of the modern grooves from the last couple of albums, but they smooth out the technicality rather than replace it.

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Tue May 24, 2022 7:43 am

Following up on my last comment, the album came out on Friday and I listened to the entire thing on Sunday. It's terrific, almost uniformly front to back, and is in line with my initial impressions above. Tons of technicality and more stylistic turns into left field than before - jazzy slap bass, Queen-esque cinema, Symphony X neo-classical riffage and unisons, space rock (the concept is partially about space), etc. The production values are significantly better than ever, the vocals are huge and soaring, the riffs rarely ever stop, and the drum and key work are tremendous.

BumZen

Post by BumZen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:09 am

I love the album. I've been listening to a lot the last few weeks. For me, the debut was hard to top, but this one seriously takes it to the next level on every single parameter. Easily the best classic prog metal album I've heard in a loong time.
Skambamse

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:00 pm

I'm in agreement with BumZen above ...... this is one of the better "classic" prog metal discs I've heard in some time ...... after a song or two from the initial samples, I was worried (and posted) that the singer might be getting to me too quickly ...... man was I wrong. The music here is some of the best I've heard in some time ......prog metal wise that is......and the singer just gets better as the disc goes on .......

Easily in the Top 10 for me this year ...... bravo SuE !!!!! Welcome back.

Kez

Post by Kez » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:20 pm

I'm going to need to revisit the debut, I guess. I remember being impressed, but for whatever reason it didn't grab me over the long term. These comments have me intrigued about this band again.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:23 am

Kez wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:20 pm
I'm going to need to revisit the debut, I guess. I remember being impressed, but for whatever reason it didn't grab me over the long term. These comments have me intrigued about this band again.
***You definitely need to check out the new one Kez ....... monster classic prog metal that no one is playing like this anymore ........