A-Z. New supergroup

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

EnchantED

A-Z. New supergroup

Post by EnchantED » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:08 pm

https://youtu.be/-Al32ph4-7A

Sounds like a melodic Fates Warning to me.

From their website:

"A-Z" is an exciting new group that reunites Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder with Warlord and former Fates Warning drummer, the legendary Mark Zonder.
Joined by Philip Bynoe (Warlord, Steve Vai, Nuno Bettencourt) on bass, Joop Wolters (Steve Walsh, Simon Phillips) on guitar and Vivien Lalu on keys the band have a melodic, progressive and deep sound, bringing to mind the classic era of Fates Warning albums like "Parallels" and "Pleasant Shade Of Grey" while recalling the hooks and melodies of Journey.

Norén

Re: A-Z. New supergroup

Post by Norén » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:15 pm

Cool. Looking forward to that!
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Okay, so this was released. As a major Alder fan boy I've been seriously looking forward to this. It's been marketed as a more AORish Fates, and I can kinda hear it.

I think maybe the larger observation is that this album, and consequently the members, isn't sure what it wanted to be. MZ had mentioned the songs organically evolving through long-distance tracking and writing. While that can produce some unexpected results, those same results can also feel disjointed. I wouldn't necessarily use that term here as these guys are the very definition of professionals. I read the term arena rock thrown out about them. No, def not.

The easiest way to describe the overall sound and atmosphere is blending Ray's solo album with 21 Guns. There really are some great moments on this album for me, but those are the songs that fall closer to the Fates side. I'm only through this a few times so these initial, cursory thoughts may absolutely change.

It was a little odd hearing Ray attempt more straight ahead rock choruses. Kinda surprising it hasn't happen prior. Don't take the above as me not liking this, I do. I suppose I was expecting something else. Any Alder or Fates fan should get this, just be prepared for required multiple spins to truly "get it."

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:23 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm
Okay, so this was released. As a major Alder fan boy I've been seriously looking forward to this. It's been marketed as a more AORish Fates, and I can kinda hear it.

I think maybe the larger observation is that this album, and consequently the members, isn't sure what it wanted to be. MZ had mentioned the songs organically evolving through long-distance tracking and writing. While that can produce some unexpected results, those same results can also feel disjointed. I wouldn't necessarily use that term here as these guys are the very definition of professionals. I read the term arena rock thrown out about them. No, def not.

The easiest way to describe the overall sound and atmosphere is blending Ray's solo album with 21 Guns. There really are some great moments on this album for me, but those are the songs that fall closer to the Fates side. I'm only through this a few times so these initial, cursory thoughts may absolutely change.

It was a little odd hearing Ray attempt more straight ahead rock choruses. Kinda surprising it hasn't happen prior. Don't take the above as me not liking this, I do. I suppose I was expecting something else. Any Alder or Fates fan should get this, just be prepared for required multiple spins to truly "get it."
My opinion:
Result is less than sum of the parts

Honestly, I had expected much much more. Unfortunately this album is a great example of how you can put amazing musicians together but if none of them can write a good song to save their life, the end result is mediocre at best.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:14 am

The easiest way to describe the overall sound and atmosphere is blending Ray's solo album with 21 Guns
Wow, a 21 Guns reference?!? Going deep on that one!!!! Good call out. (Side note: pretty sure I just saw recently that they got back together????)

Little bit concerned to see the underwhelmed reactions so far. This lineup should have been a slam dunk.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:44 am

I kept my expectations moderate. I don't think Ray has the right voice for "hard" rock. I really like some of Zonder's stuff post-Fates like Slavior and Speaking to Stones, but on the other hand, At War With Self was a total snoozefest. So I tried to keep in mind that this could very well be a dud. After a couple of listens so far I like it, but admittedly it's less because of the songs and more because his drumming is great as always.

Some of the harder-rocking parts make me think of what it might be like if Zonder had been in Van Halen.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:14 pm

Initial thoughts revisited...my album of the year.

Instead of focusing on what this album was supposed to be, I'm loving it for what it is...essentially a second Alder solo record. I know Zonder was hyping this as some AOR/arena rock disc, but thats not accurate. I'm not exactly sure what this is.

Ray is in fine form and writes melodies and choruses that could have ended up on a Fates album. If you focus on Ray and forget the other members this becomes an easy listen.

This suddenly blew me away last week after my initial Mega Meh reaction in August. I often love it when I'm wrong.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:11 am

Initial thoughts revisited...my album of the year.

Instead of focusing on what this album was supposed to be, I'm loving it for what it is...essentially a second Alder solo record. I know Zonder was hyping this as some AOR/arena rock disc, but thats not accurate. I'm not exactly sure what this is.

Ray is in fine form and writes melodies and choruses that could have ended up on a Fates album. If you focus on Ray and forget the other members this becomes an easy listen.

This suddenly blew me away last week after my initial Mega Meh reaction in August. I often love it when I'm wrong.
Wow, that is quite the turnaround of opinion! Now you have me even more curious, as almost all the reviews I've seen have been exceedingly lukewarm. It's in a stack for me to listen to, but has a lot above it still....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:50 pm

The opening track is so close to Life in Still Water/Pale fire. The overall album does feel like a Ray solo album with some guest stars. Makes sense it feels like that as we normally associate his writing and melodies with Jim. He's on his own here again, so it's a familiar feel to WtWW.

Ray's other album this year with a band called Figure of Speechless is a mess of oddball instrumentation that's a total mismatch with his vocal style. Very disappointed in this. Kings of Mercia as well. Just such a boring, lifeless album.

Ray and Jim are gold. Sucks they may not work together again.