New Zero Hour - Technocracy

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

New Zero Hour - Technocracy

Post by Random Axe » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:33 am

I just saw the release announcement for May 13, and it's coming from...Frontiers??? Not having Sensory is odd, I won't speculate. The sound picks up pretty well from where they left off. Def looking forward to this, it's been far too long.

https://youtu.be/3ycOkZGKESo

AllMediaReviews

Re: New Zero Hour - Technocracy

Post by AllMediaReviews » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:34 pm

love it.

https://www.frontiers.shop/detail/index ... x4b06MOXWY
GENRE: Progressive Metal

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the release of "Agenda 21", the new studio album from the recently reformed progressive metal band Zero Hour, on May 13, 2022. Original members Jasun Tipton (guitars) and Erik Rosvold (vocals) have recruited bassist Andreas Blomqvist (Seventh Wonder) and drummer Roel van Helden to join them on this new chapter for Zero Hour.
Originally formed in the San Francisco Bay Area in '90s by Jasun and his brother Troy, Zero Hour released six studio albums from 1998 to 2008. Their self-titled debut (1998), "The Towers of Avarice" (2001), "Metamorphosis" (2003), "A Fragile Mind" (2005), "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond" (2006), and "Dark Deceiver" (2008). The genesis of Zero Hour was to create heavy, melodic, dark, intricate music with influences from diverse influences like the DIO-led years of Rainbow, The Pat Metheny Group, and Dream Theater.
Zero Hour dissolved after the release of their 2008 album "Dark Deceiver" when Troy Tipton suffered an arm injury that prevented him from playing bass. After Jasun and Erik got back together to start the band back up, they recruited drummer Roel van Helden. Jasun and Roel had become friends after Roel’s group at the time, Sun Caged and Zero Hour played a gig as direct support for Liquid Tension Experiment. They stayed in contact and years later, Jasun caught up with Roel overseas and they chatted about making music together. Roel was then instrumental in bringing Andreas into the fold as one of Roel’s former bands had toured with Andreas' band Seventh Wonder.
Jasun structured the music for "Agenda 21", tracking the guitars and keys. Roel then arranged the drums and entered Kohlekeller Studios to record the drums with Kai Stahlenberg. Andreas followed by arranging and recording his bass at Cross Back Studios. Erik Rosvold wrote the lyrics for the songs on "Agenda 21" with the vocal melodies arranged by Erik and Jason together as the vocals were recorded.
Progressive metal fans will find much to celebrate on Zero Hour's fantastic return album, "Agenda 21"!

Tracklisting:
1. Democide
2. Technocracy
3. Stigmata
4. Memento Mori
5. Agenda 21
6. Patient Zero

Line-Up:
Erik Rosvold - Vocals
Jasun Tipton - Guitars and Keyboards
Andreas Blomqvist- Bass
Roel van Helden - Drums

Social Media:
https://facebook.com/zerohourtowers
https://instagram.com/zerohourtowers

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Sounds like classic Zero Hour even with 2 new (familiar) musicians. 8)

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:58 pm

I love Zero Hour - they've created some magnificent albums over time, and some are true classics in prog/tech metal in my book.

This sounds quite lackluster if you ask me. Sure, there's plenty of progginess/techniness, but it sounds more like polished-chaos in a Power Of Omens kind of way than a heavy-as-f-chaos kind of Zero Hour way.

And, I'm sorry to say that I think Erik sounds like crap here :( I really love Erik on the first 3 ZH as well as the first Cynthesis, but already on the second Cynthesis it was meh, and now it sounds like he just can't sing anymore. What a bummer.

Hopefully this song is not totally representative for the album, as I had wished for much more. I'll obviously buy it (wouldn't be a completist if I didn't), but my expectations has been kicked down a notch or ten.
Claus Jensen

Adam Strange

Post by Adam Strange » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:41 pm

The music is excellent...The production is God awful and amateurish. Eric's vocals are buried in the mix. The whole thing needs to be remixed before it's released.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:31 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:58 pm
I love Zero Hour - they've created some magnificent albums over time, and some are true classics in prog/tech metal in my book.

This sounds quite lackluster if you ask me. Sure, there's plenty of progginess/techniness, but it sounds more like polished-chaos in a Power Of Omens kind of way than a heavy-as-f-chaos kind of Zero Hour way.

And, I'm sorry to say that I think Erik sounds like crap here :( I really love Erik on the first 3 ZH as well as the first Cynthesis, but already on the second Cynthesis it was meh, and now it sounds like he just can't sing anymore. What a bummer.

Hopefully this song is not totally representative for the album, as I had wished for much more. I'll obviously buy it (wouldn't be a completist if I didn't), but my expectations has been kicked down a notch or ten.
I will go on record and retract every single word I wrote above. Having spent hours (!!!) with each of the two singles released so far, I can say that this is absolutely brilliant and might very well end up in top 10 or 5 of the year for me.

Whatever was wrong the first few times I listened apparently isn’t bothering me anymore - go figure.

Yes, Erik sounds different and older than in the past, and he isn’t hitting the same notes with as much ease as he used to. But, like Ray Alder similarly has gotten older and sounds “different”, Erik has gotten some nice smokiness to his voice and it actually makes it a really pleasant listen. So yeah, sorry Erik, this is another top notch vocal performance, and I jumped to conclusions way too quickly.

Damn - these two singles are sooooo good. I pre-ordered the digital album for now, but will have to get the CD ordered as well.
Claus Jensen

erikro

Post by erikro » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:14 pm

No worries, all is good. Good to hear you like what we've done! I believe we have two more samples coming out before the release. I purposefully went after a more aggressive approach to the vocals on this material, so yeah, it's a bit more rough than what I would normally do. Still, thanks for all the support throughout the years.