LarryD (he's not dead yet)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Ghost Wind

LarryD (he's not dead yet)

Post by Ghost Wind » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:20 pm

Hello Larry,

Are your reviews from years ago still viewable somewhere? I remember them being very detailed and still love the one about the Shadow Gallery Tyranny cd. Also, same question with that Erik Welty site from long ago. Thanks for any info.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: LarryD

Post by LarryD » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:59 am

Ghost Wind wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:20 pm
Hello Larry,

Are your reviews from years ago still viewable somewhere? I remember them being very detailed and still love the one about the Shadow Gallery Tyranny cd. Also, same question with that Erik Welty site from long ago. Thanks for any info.
****Thanks for asking......... sadly, all of my reviews disappeared one year during a board crash ..........I have some of them backed up on a CD-R so I will look for them........ hopefully, the SG one is still there ........ it used to be on SG's website as well, but they no longer have a site. If I find it, I'll be sure to post it here.....

jkl2000

Post by jkl2000 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:01 pm

Did you guys check The Wayback Machine site to see if an old version of the board with Larry's reviews is archived there?

I remember a lot of Larry's detailed reviews fondly too.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:26 pm

I'm going to have to edit the title of this post eventually because every time there's activity in it I'm afraid Larry's fuckin dead.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:39 am

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:26 pm
I'm going to have to edit the title of this post eventually because every time there's activity in it I'm afraid Larry's fuckin dead.
:lol:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:43 am

Mardoch wrote:
Hahaha, I thought the same ... especially knowing that the guy is pushing 90 already, so ... yeah ... ;)
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:01 pm

I never did find the reviews ...... I'm pretty sure that they are on a disc somewhere, but after moving, I haven't seen it nor have I searched everywhere for it ..... I did the "in the area where I think they might be search" but nothing ........

Sometimes it's better to leave the past in place. :wink:

jkl2000

Post by jkl2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:51 pm

Mardoch wrote:
I don't visit the board very often (you can always find me on ProgressiveEars.com !), and I can tell you this is exactly what first entered my mind first! Fortunately, I also noticed that Larry was the last commenter. :lol:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 am

Perhaps we could have it changed into “LarryD has lost his taste in good music”? Just a suggestion …
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:54 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 am
Perhaps we could have it changed into “LarryD has lost his taste in good music”? Just a suggestion …
****This year has been a slow year for me - in every way possible ....... the prog metal style that I really enjoy seems to be on the decline, and I'm filling it in with other styles as I just wait to see what happens......

I've been buying up vinyl ( Glenn has me hooked on that ) to replace my aging collection, and going back and listening to them has been very satisfying. I've also been getting into some more jazz ( I'm super picky about that style ), and I bought a couple of Classical albums to show off my sound system as well. I've got a few new things in, such as Lana Lane, Damian Wilson, and some other Neo-Prog discs - but I don't want to come here every day and push some negative vibes on all of it and have Claus make me out to be older than I already am and start using the Grinch moniker on a regular basis.

I've been on a Rush and a David Gilmour binge recently, and I'm sure no one wants to hear about that all the time ...... and my latest Alan Parsons Blu-Ray (Live with the Israeli Symphony Orchestra) is mind blowing in video / audio / performance quality, but again I'll be the only one talking about it ....

In a fit of curiosity, completion, or just plain insanity, I did order the IQ Archive set from the Lasers Edge - which is a $100 set of 12 discs of mostly unreleased material, including 3 concerts ( one of which is the Subterranea show finally in HD version, and two other unreleased shows, along with re-mixes, outtakes, demos, and a Christmas CD of all things. I'm also constantly re-organizing my CD racks, as I have way too much music that I don't listen to, and finally coming to terms with that as I weed out a lot of it and direct it out into the world properly.

I'm also completing my Alan Parsons vinyl collection which was stolen from me during my move south...... so all in all, it's been like a re-vamp, re-collect, re-organize sort of year while I wait for the next Michal Romeo, and whoever else wants to release the metal that I usually go in for .......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:24 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:54 am
introclaus wrote:
****This year has been a slow year for me - in every way possible ....... the prog metal style that I really enjoy seems to be on the decline, and I'm filling it in with other styles as I just wait to see what happens......

I've been buying up vinyl ( Glenn has me hooked on that ) to replace my aging collection, and going back and listening to them has been very satisfying. I've also been getting into some more jazz ( I'm super picky about that style ), and I bought a couple of Classical albums to show off my sound system as well. I've got a few new things in, such as Lana Lane, Damian Wilson, and some other Neo-Prog discs - but I don't want to come here every day and push some negative vibes on all of it and have Claus make me out to be older than I already am and start using the Grinch moniker on a regular basis.

I've been on a Rush and a David Gilmour binge recently, and I'm sure no one wants to hear about that all the time ...... and my latest Alan Parsons Blu-Ray (Live with the Israeli Symphony Orchestra) is mind blowing in video / audio / performance quality, but again I'll be the only one talking about it ....

In a fit of curiosity, completion, or just plain insanity, I did order the IQ Archive set from the Lasers Edge - which is a $100 set of 12 discs of mostly unreleased material, including 3 concerts ( one of which is the Subterranea show finally in HD version, and two other unreleased shows, along with re-mixes, outtakes, demos, and a Christmas CD of all things. I'm also constantly re-organizing my CD racks, as I have way too much music that I don't listen to, and finally coming to terms with that as I weed out a lot of it and direct it out into the world properly.

I'm also completing my Alan Parsons vinyl collection which was stolen from me during my move south...... so all in all, it's been like a re-vamp, re-collect, re-organize sort of year while I wait for the next Michal Romeo, and whoever else wants to release the metal that I usually go in for .......
All jokes aside, I truly appreciate reading about any new music we all purchase - whether it’s prog meta, neo prog, black meta or jazz … as long as he/she/they who bought it are getting enjoyment out of it and have something to tell us about it, I’m willing to listen. I know I make a lot of fun of you, but it’s all done with love. You might be very “closed minded” in your prog metalness, but you’re still willing to try out anything I push at you even if just to tell me you think it sucks.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:30 am

jkl2000 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:51 pm
Mardoch wrote:
I don't visit the board very often (you can always find me on ProgressiveEars.com !), and I can tell you this is exactly what first entered my mind first! Fortunately, I also noticed that Larry was the last commenter. :lol:
it frickin got me again today so I had to fix it

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:32 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:24 am
LarryD wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:54 am
introclaus wrote:

All jokes aside, I truly appreciate reading about any new music we all purchase - whether it’s prog meta, neo prog, black meta or jazz … as long as he/she/they who bought it are getting enjoyment out of it and have something to tell us about it, I’m willing to listen. I know I make a lot of fun of you, but it’s all done with love. You might be very “closed minded” in your prog metalness, but you’re still willing to try out anything I push at you even if just to tell me you think it sucks.
100% on board with this. No two people's tastes are going to overlap completely, but I enjoy knowing what you folks are all getting excited about these days. At a minimum I'll keep trying stuff outside my wheelhouse, and sometimes it's a winner for me. Expanding horizons in the love of music is what it's all about for me.