Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 2

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 2

Post by Mardoch » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:40 am

New single with Dino Jelusik on vocals. I'm all in on this one. I loved his last solo disc. I wonder if this is going to be a rotating cast of vocalists thing or if it's all Dino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBYM6Z9NMMg

jhallum

Re: Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 2

Post by jhallum » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:51 am

From everything I've seen it's the Dino show, though I think there are a few instrumental tracks like on pt1.

Kez

Post by Kez » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm

I'm pretty pumped about Part 2, as Part 1 is already a desert island disc for me.
Dino probably would not have been my first choice for Part 2, but he sounds damn good here, so I'm all in.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:47 am

Kez wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm
I'm pretty pumped about Part 2, as Part 1 is already a desert island disc for me.
Dino probably would not have been my first choice for Part 2, but he sounds damn good here, so I'm all in.
****This right here. Dino is indeed a great singer - but I absolutely love the vocal work that Rick did on Part 1 and wish he were on board for Part 2. Am I going to love Part 2 ? Most definitely - but like Kez, he would not have been my first choice over Rick ......... like everyone else, I can't wait to get my hands on this one .......Part 1 was magical.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:37 pm

It appears I need to go back and re-listen to the first one. Nothing grabbed me at all and I never really tried again. Based on everyone's views here, I missed out on sometihng.

Dino is kinda like a vocal chameleon so hearing him channel Russ is a little off-putting as there's not a lot of need to copy someone THAT much on similar sounding music. This may be just be for this particular tune, but I doubt it. I'm far more interested in going back to the first release than exploring this new one based on that single.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:00 pm

One spin through part 2 and I have to say I might like it better than part 1. It definitely exceeded my expectations. Time to revisit the last one. Wasn't sure about the singer change on the samples, but he is as solid as they come.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:26 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:00 pm
One spin through part 2 and I have to say I might like it better than part 1. It definitely exceeded my expectations. Time to revisit the last one. Wasn't sure about the singer change on the samples, but he is as solid as they come.
****So glad ( and surprised ) to hear this ...... if you are liking this better than Part 1 then it must be magical ..... cannot wait for this one .........

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm

This one was a HUGE disappointment to me, so much I haven't even purchased it. I enjoyed the last one, but the new sounds like a lesser version of that, with Dino doing the "angry Russ" emulation instead of bringing anything original to the table. Between this, and his Stone Leaders project (where he sounds like Jorn), he alone could do all the voices of the next Allen/Lande album and noone would know any better. Meh, this was not what I had hoped for at all. What a let down.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:43 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm
This one was a HUGE disappointment to me, so much I haven't even purchased it. I enjoyed the last one, but the new sounds like a lesser version of that, with Dino doing the "angry Russ" emulation instead of bringing anything original to the table. Between this, and his Stone Leaders project (where he sounds like Jorn), he alone could do all the voices of the next Allen/Lande album and noone would know any better. Meh, this was not what I had hoped for at all. What a let down.

I absolutely love it!!! Even more so than the first CD. Romeo sounds so godlike on this CD, with some killer riffage and Dino's stellar singing...I was hesitant at first because the reviews have been so amazing and good, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't mind Dino sounding like an angry Russ, especially since Symphony X won't get off their ass and put out a new CD. It's been far too long, but at least I have this stellar cdto do me over.....

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 pm

Michael put on his evil boots to write this track, and I love that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxg9beW1EU

I get that Dino's vocal chameleon bit can be offputting to some, but since I first came across him in The Ralph I've loved basically all of his vocal work so...I'm fine with it.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 pm

Ok kids ...... this is awesome ........ I didn't think I would dig this because of Dino's vocal style, but I do ......... now for the record, I think the 1st one is much better, due to the versatile vocal style of Rick Castellano, but Dino - as one dimensional and "angry Russ" as he is, pulls it off wonderfully.......

No doubt that the music of Sir Romeo is the driving force and excitement of the disc .... Dino adds to it with that angry Jorn / Russ style - which normally I tire of ....but here it works perfectfully......

I do hear Rick doing this disc, and wondering why he isn't on it - as I feel his voice is so versatile and can adapt to any song that Romeo writes, but overall, Dino does a wonderful job and pulls together the Symphony X / Romeo style superbly .....

Top 10 easily .........

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:53 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 pm
Ok kids ...... this is awesome ........ I didn't think I would dig this because of Dino's vocal style, but I do ......... now for the record, I think the 1st one is much better, due to the versatile vocal style of Rick Castellano, but Dino - as one dimensional and "angry Russ" as he is, pulls it off wonderfully.......

No doubt that the music of Sir Romeo is the driving force and excitement of the disc .... Dino adds to it with that angry Jorn / Russ style - which normally I tire of ....but here it works perfectfully......

I do hear Rick doing this disc, and wondering why he isn't on it - as I feel his voice is so versatile and can adapt to any song that Romeo writes, but overall, Dino does a wonderful job and pulls together the Symphony X / Romeo style superbly .....

Top 10 easily .........

I knew you would like it Larry.... You and I have always shared a similar taste in music :)

Dusty

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:15 pm

I knew you would like it Larry.... You and I have always shared a similar taste in music :)
***yeah we do .......I am a bit surprised just at how much I do like it, but I attribute that to Micheal Romeo being the brilliant musician that he is and making this work no matter who is singing on his disc ....... there is a certain " you know it's going to be good" when it comes to him ......