My 2021 year in review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

My 2021 year in review

Post by Random Axe » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm writing this at work so I'll likely forget some. This was an odd year for me musically, but I’m sure a lot of that had to do with personal and health circumstances versus actual musical quality. Nothing absolutely blew me away in new releases, but a lot were really, really good. I’m not nearly as prolific as Glenn in the sheer amount of what I listened to nor do I possess the ability to force rank these anymore. I’m just not that smart and mentally organized. So here’s what I did get in 2021 with a few comments.

Need/Norchestrion - This is good stuff but is my least favorite of the trilogy. I think I’m missing the ethnic elements? Not sure. I love these guys as musicians and people, but this one didn’t bowl me over as I expected.

Animate/Infinite Imaginations – This was a total surprise from a random post on Facebook. These Polish proggers absolutely check all the boxes for what we loved in late 90s and early 2000s prog metal. Fantastic vocals and harmonies and slightly complex compositions. Reminds me of the first Sun Caged album. I’m not ranking but this would be top five for me.

Vicious Head Society/Extinction Level Event - This is a terrific and immersive concept album about, of course, the end of the world and telling the story from different perspectives. Lots of cool stuff going on with some down-tuned 7-string action, some growls for flavor and some super cool synths placed just in the right spots. Keane really labored on this album for a couple of years and the results are spectacular.

Seventh Dimension/Black Sky – Prog metal from Sweden that is hard to define. They are very melodic but can also be kinda strange at times. The vocals will be make/break for most. He’s got an unusual delivery, often in a lower tenor range and has some unique chorus modulations that initially seem off-putting but work for me. Good stuff.

Carmeria/Advenae – What a wonderful surprise this was. IT’s gothic-tinged melodic prog metal that reminds me of Ghost Opera era Kamelot, mostly because the singer really has a Khan quality to his phrasing. It’s not a complete clone like Black Fate, though. There’s some moody, lush and smooth songs on here. Top five for me this year.

Lifesigns/Altitude - This is the lightest album I’ve purchased this year but is one of the best. John Young is the main songwriter here and has toured with Asia as keyboardist. Those influences show as the songs are all on-point, warm and inviting. It’s kinda like Pendragon meets Galahad and Kino with some It Bites thrown in. It’s not an overly long album like some prog rock can be, its just the perfect length to put the headphones on and completely relax.

Soen/Imperial – Finally!!! I get it. I’m on board with these guys after many years of meh. This one sucked me in from the first single/video Antagonist. The odd meter guitars and song structures are so damn good to my ears now.

Evergrey/Escape of Phoenix – I wanted to like this more than I do and that still may happen. The last five albums have all kinda been the same to me, but that probably says more about me than them. I really miss the more keyboard-oriented elements of SDT and Search of Truth. Every album in the last decade has had some flat-out amazing songs. I really appreciate these guys for their longevity and community involvement and just being genuine good dudes. I just wish the music connected with me more.

Loch Vostok/Great Escape – I gave them a chance. Still too much emphasis on harsh but the cleans are superb! Super quality production, just not my thing.

Wonders/Fragments of Wonder – Tasty Italian power metal from Temperance vocalist Marco Pastorino. Nothing revolutionary but some nice speedy and mid-tempo songs. It also has Bob Katsionis on keys so its got a huge sound.

Fans of the Dark – Stupid name but pretty good music. It’s more AOR than melodic metal and the singer is the standout here. I wish it was more consistent, though. There’s some fantastic songs and some head -scratchers.

Leverage/Above The Beyond – Meh. I far prefer the original vocalist. This is sold stuff but lacks character and distinctiveness.

Turbulence/Frontal – This one was in my top five the moment I took the shrink wrap off. What a great combination of complex arrangements and vocals melodies. This is on Frontiers and is likely their best actual prog metal release to date.

Subfire/Define the Sinner – This is a last minute, late entry onto my list and danm is this solid. It’s Greek power metal that fits into the same pocket holding Innerwish, Vanish, Lyra’s Legacy and newer Tad Morose.

Drifting Sun/Forsaken Innocence - This is similar to Lifesigns in that’s its British prog rock, but this one tend to lean towards Genesis and Yes and has some quirky compositions and musical choices. Very strong stuff but not an album I’ll listen to often.

Kamelot journey – As mentioned in a previous post, I’ve had an epiphany and am now a huge fan once again. I was bitter about the Khan split and how they attempted to turn Tommy into Roy, even dressing him alike. I also was under the false impression they dumbed down Tommy’s vocal stylings to fit their musical narrative. I find his work with Kamelot to be thoroughly compelling and world-class. I was a freakin idiot for my train of thoughts on the matter.

Nightwish – WTF, WTF? How the hell have I slept on this band till 2021??? Before October I’d only ever heard one song from them, and it was a stupid youtube misheard lyrics post from a song called Wishmaster that made fun of Tarja’s vocals and how you couldn’t understand anything. So, I never pursued listening again. Fast forward 18 years and I’m just stunned. I started seeing reaction videos to Nightwish pop up on youtube so I selected the most popular one, Ghost Love Score live from Wacken with Floor. I had both goosebumps and tears at how beautiful and deep that song was. I was emotionally moved, and that is a rarity. I’ve since seen a few other live vids from them and all have been insane.
I have no interest in the Tarja vs Floor debates that rage on still, I’ll stick with Jansen for now. I’m enamored with the live energy so I’m going to get both DVD/CD shows from Wacken and Wembley. I’ve been a total tool and fool for not giving them a chance till now.

Random Axe

Re: My 2021 year in review

Post by Random Axe » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:53 pm

I knew I was going to forget some

Povertys No Crime/Secret to Hide - While I like the majority of their back catalog, this one really got my attention and is my favorite album of theirs.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:08 am

I'm writing this at work so I'll likely forget some. This was an odd year for me musically, but I’m sure a lot of that had to do with personal and health circumstances versus actual musical quality. Nothing absolutely blew me away in new releases, but a lot were really, really good. I’m not nearly as prolific as Glenn in the sheer amount of what I listened to nor do I possess the ability to force rank these anymore. I’m just not that smart and mentally organized. So here’s what I did get in 2021 with a few comments.

***I felt a lot like this as well...... I keep saying that I didn't like a lot of metal, yet when I look at my list, most of it is metal ..... so I'm still on track.

Need/Norchestrion - This is good stuff but is my least favorite of the trilogy. I think I’m missing the ethnic elements? Not sure. I love these guys as musicians and people, but this one didn’t bowl me over as I expected.

***Strangely, I'm the opposite. This one came firing out of the box when I got it, and in my head back then I knew this would be Top 5 or disc of the year. This one is forcing me to go back to the previous discs and see what I missed and why ...... as far as this one, it is a huge contender for disc of the year as I write this.

Animate/Infinite Imaginations – This was a total surprise from a random post on Facebook. These Polish proggers absolutely check all the boxes for what we loved in late 90s and early 2000s prog metal. Fantastic vocals and harmonies and slightly complex compositions. Reminds me of the first Sun Caged album. I’m not ranking but this would be top five for me.

***This was very good as well, but it didn't make my list, and I think Turbulence knocked it out of the running.

Vicious Head Society/Extinction Level Event - This is a terrific and immersive concept album about, of course, the end of the world and telling the story from different perspectives. Lots of cool stuff going on with some down-tuned 7-string action, some growls for flavor and some super cool synths placed just in the right spots. Keane really labored on this album for a couple of years and the results are spectacular.

***I really enjoyed the last disc they released......after a couple of listens to this one, I did not enjoy it as much, nor did I ever go back to it ...... I remember thinking that the vocals are really putting me off on this one ........

Carmeria/Advenae – What a wonderful surprise this was. IT’s gothic-tinged melodic prog metal that reminds me of Ghost Opera era Kamelot, mostly because the singer really has a Khan quality to his phrasing. It’s not a complete clone like Black Fate, though. There’s some moody, lush and smooth songs on here. Top five for me this year.
***The only reason I didn't get this one is because Ken didn't have in stock at the time of my last purchase. I was too lazy to grab it alone in an order and bypassed it. What I heard on YouTube I loved, and knew this would fulfill my Kamelot need nicely. Whether or not it would make the top 10 is a mystery for obvious reasons.

Lifesigns/Altitude - This is the lightest album I’ve purchased this year but is one of the best. John Young is the main songwriter here and has toured with Asia as keyboardist. Those influences show as the songs are all on-point, warm and inviting. It’s kinda like Pendragon meets Galahad and Kino with some It Bites thrown in. It’s not an overly long album like some prog rock can be, its just the perfect length to put the headphones on and completely relax.

***I did check this out and I liked what I heard ...... as with Carmeria, I was too lazy to buy it, figuring I was done with purchasing CDs for 2021 ...... I may have to rethink that or add to my Top 10 post at a later time .......

Soen/Imperial – Finally!!! I get it. I’m on board with these guys after many years of meh. This one sucked me in from the first single/video Antagonist. The odd meter guitars and song structures are so damn good to my ears now.

***I've tried so hard to get into this band .......I'm being helped by some friends behind the scene to finally embrace this band, and I'm heading over to LOTUS to start there and see if I can latch on ......strangely, this is the type of music I love, and I keep blaming the vocals and melancholy vibe for not liking it, but then again I love melancholy. So I'm back on the train seeing if I can go anywhere again ........

Evergrey/Escape of Phoenix – I wanted to like this more than I do and that still may happen. The last five albums have all kinda been the same to me, but that probably says more about me than them. I really miss the more keyboard-oriented elements of SDT and Search of Truth. Every album in the last decade has had some flat-out amazing songs. I really appreciate these guys for their longevity and community involvement and just being genuine good dudes. I just wish the music connected with me more.
***Finally - Evergrey will crack my top 10 again after all these years ....... I agree with everything you said, I just feel that this is much better than anything they have done previously, and to come out firing like this after this much time is exciting and welcome ....... kudos to Tom and the boys.

Turbulence/Frontal – This one was in my top five the moment I took the shrink wrap off. What a great combination of complex arrangements and vocals melodies. This is on Frontiers and is likely their best actual prog metal release to date.

****Totally agree and in my Top 10 .......

Nightwish – WTF, WTF? How the hell have I slept on this band till 2021??? Before October I’d only ever heard one song from them, and it was a stupid youtube misheard lyrics post from a song called Wishmaster that made fun of Tarja’s vocals and how you couldn’t understand anything. So, I never pursued listening again. Fast forward 18 years and I’m just stunned. I started seeing reaction videos to Nightwish pop up on youtube so I selected the most popular one, Ghost Love Score live from Wacken with Floor. I had both goosebumps and tears at how beautiful and deep that song was. I was emotionally moved, and that is a rarity. I’ve since seen a few other live vids from them and all have been insane.
I have no interest in the Tarja vs Floor debates that rage on still, I’ll stick with Jansen for now. I’m enamored with the live energy so I’m going to get both DVD/CD shows from Wacken and Wembley. I’ve been a total tool and fool for not giving them a chance till now.
****Awesome, and better late then never..........enjoy !!!!!!!

Great post.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:37 pm

Loch Vostok/Great Escape – I gave them a chance. Still too much emphasis on harsh but the cleans are superb! Super quality production, just not my thing.

Povertys No Crime/Secret to Hide - While I like the majority of their back catalog, this one really got my attention and is my favorite album of theirs.
All of those made it onto my list as well!
Random Axe wrote:

Seventh Dimension/Black Sky – Prog metal from Sweden that is hard to define. They are very melodic but can also be kinda strange at times. The vocals will be make/break for most. He’s got an unusual delivery, often in a lower tenor range and has some unique chorus modulations that initially seem off-putting but work for me. Good stuff.

Fans of the Dark – Stupid name but pretty good music. It’s more AOR than melodic metal and the singer is the standout here. I wish it was more consistent, though. There’s some fantastic songs and some head -scratchers.

Subfire/Define the Sinner – This is a last minute, late entry onto my list and danm is this solid. It’s Greek power metal that fits into the same pocket holding Innerwish, Vanish, Lyra’s Legacy and newer Tad Morose.
I'll have to check these ones out.
Random Axe wrote:

Wonders/Fragments of Wonder – Tasty Italian power metal from Temperance vocalist Marco Pastorino. Nothing revolutionary but some nice speedy and mid-tempo songs. It also has Bob Katsionis on keys so its got a huge sound.

Leverage/Above The Beyond – Meh. I far prefer the original vocalist. This is sold stuff but lacks character and distinctiveness.

Drifting Sun/Forsaken Innocence - This is similar to Lifesigns in that’s its British prog rock, but this one tend to lean towards Genesis and Yes and has some quirky compositions and musical choices. Very strong stuff but not an album I’ll listen to often.
Didn't like these, sorry.
Random Axe wrote:
Kamelot journey – As mentioned in a previous post, I’ve had an epiphany and am now a huge fan once again. I was bitter about the Khan split and how they attempted to turn Tommy into Roy, even dressing him alike. I also was under the false impression they dumbed down Tommy’s vocal stylings to fit their musical narrative. I find his work with Kamelot to be thoroughly compelling and world-class. I was a freakin idiot for my train of thoughts on the matter.

Haha, now that's funny. It's just how it works - we are all wired to be biased whether we think we are or not. It's good once in a while to realize how wrong we sometimes are.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 am

Overall a lot of crossover on our likes..... I think your tastes are most closely aligned with mine right now, and most of what you posted I agree with wholeheartedly.
Now THIS just cracks me up. One song until this year??? On this board, and in our genres, how is that even POSSIBLE?!?! :)

That all being said, better late than never! "Ghost Love Score" live STILL gives me goosebumps every single time I play it. That song is simply stunning, and Floor OWNS it.

Interested to hear what you think of the broader catalogue as you get into it. I enjoy every album to some degree or other, but it definitely has it's highs and lows, and I'm willing to bet none of us will agree on which albums fall into which.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm

I'll likely work backwards with the Floor material. I know a lot would side with Tarja, but I'm enamored with Ms Jansen at the moment.

It's not surprising that I missed out on Nightwish given my metal non-credentials. Between Iron Maiden and Priest I've probably heard ten or less songs in my lifetime. With IM it's Trooper, Run to the Hills, Stranger in Strange land and Can I Play With Madness and Wasted Years. My Judas exposure has been limited to Head Out to the Highway, Another Thing Coming, Electric Eye, Turbo Lover and Painkiller.

I just never could immerse myself.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm
I'll likely work backwards with the Floor material. I know a lot would side with Tarja, but I'm enamored with Ms Jansen at the moment.

It's not surprising that I missed out on Nightwish given my metal non-credentials. Between Iron Maiden and Priest I've probably heard ten or less songs in my lifetime. With IM it's Trooper, Run to the Hills, Stranger in Strange land and Can I Play With Madness and Wasted Years. My Judas exposure has been limited to Head Out to the Highway, Another Thing Coming, Electric Eye, Turbo Lover and Painkiller.

I just never could immerse myself.
If you “weren’t there when it happened” so to speak it really can be difficult working yourself into a band with a huge back catalogue. I’ve passed on several bands that way, just because I couldn’t bring myself to start on it late in their career when I already missed out on so much. Sometimes it’s worth giving it a shot though … I’ve been trying myself to pick up on Camel, Focus and ELP as those are some of the “classic” prog bands that I honestly never got into to the extent I should have, but it’s really hard going back now to such bands.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:01 am

If you “weren’t there when it happened” so to speak it really can be difficult working yourself into a band with a huge back catalogue. I’ve passed on several bands that way, just because I couldn’t bring myself to start on it late in their career when I already missed out on so much. Sometimes it’s worth giving it a shot though … I’ve been trying myself to pick up on Camel, Focus and ELP as those are some of the “classic” prog bands that I honestly never got into to the extent I should have, but it’s really hard going back now to such bands.
***I agree with this 100% ..... kudos to those who can actually do this and succeed big time. It's very difficult to "discover" some bands in other genres, like you with ELP and Focus. With Nightwish, Scott might have more of a chance with it because he could view it as recent metal rather than some band back in the 70s which he never listened to ...... that would happen to me at least. If someone mentions checking out a band from the 70s, I normally cannot get into that band because I've already lived that era and have my bands from then to listen to ..... it's weird, but I think it has to with that age thing we always talk about .......

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Just for reference, this is the YouTube video that delayed my Nightwish journey till Nov 2021.

https://youtu.be/gg5_mlQOsUQ

ToddS
Site Admin

Post by ToddS » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Nice list RA. Enjoyed the read.

Todd
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"