This Place Has Hardly Changed

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

RipVanWelty

This Place Has Hardly Changed

Post by RipVanWelty » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 am

Just wanted to drop by and say hello to old friends. I’ve been buying vinyl from Ken Golden lately and he mentioned I should drop back by here. It's good to see so many familiar usernames still. I saw a recent post with an archive pointer to my old list. I think I have that backed up on a CD somewhere, but figured it was probably lost. My thanks to whoever preserved that.

Musically, I’ve strayed from my progressive metal way, but I’m still very engrossed in metal. I have been picking up old prog metal favorites on vinyl and enjoying them differently. It's funny how the lens of time affects your view of a musical genre like this. Great music is just great music and stands the test of time.

My faves of 2021:

Katatonia - Mnemosynean

Unreleased material, including some in their native tongue, from the last 20 years. With most releases like this, you get really choppy material, but this is a surprisingly strong outing. If you enjoy modern clean vocals Katatonia, this one is a must

Sleep Token- This Place Will Become Your Tomb

This one caught me totally off guard. Beautiful keyboards and guitar work go back and forth between intricate beauty and crushing wall of sound heaviness. The clean vocals make this more accessible than you’d expect. Deliciously schizophrenic …

Architects- For Those That Wish To Exist

To my ears, these guys are the best of modern metal mixing up so many styles seamlessly. Heavy, catchy, and immaculately executed.

Now that I've got an account again, I'll try to stay a little more engaged.

E

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: This Place Has Hardly Changed

Post by LarryD » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:38 am

He lives !!!!!! Welcome back !!!!!! Good to see you my old friend .................

RipVanWelty

Post by RipVanWelty » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:45 am

Larry! I hope you and yours are doing well

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Welcome back! Your list all those years ago was responsible for almost all of my early prog metal purchases.

Guy

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Welcome back and I hope you and yours are doing well and sorry for who is probably your father in your nickname.

A big thank you for your list long time ago. It has been a huge influence on me when I started my website in 1999. In 2012 I stopped updating my website. It was a natural ending I thought. In 2015 I discovered the album "The Road Of Bones" from IQ and with the help of Larry and others on this board I discovered the neo-prog genre. I ressurected my website and added a neo-prog section and even added also a hard rock section. Neo-prog was the missing link to add this hard rock section. These days I'm still updating the 3 sections of my website (prog metal, neo-prog and hard rock). I also added some software features to my website.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:42 pm

I also loved your website and I still consult it from time to time.
Cheers for all the recommendations,!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010809212 ... et/proggy/
So -that's- where the humidifier went.