My top 10 rankings for 2021...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

My top 10 rankings for 2021...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:14 am

If you read my list please leave comments. Always curious what others think. :lol:

10. Cynic - Ascension Codes, wasn't sure about this one with both Sean's gone. Still sounds like Cynic, proggy and kicks
a**. Too many interludes between songs though. :roll:
9. Benthos - II, reminds me of Haken in spots. 8)
8. Aeon Zen - Transversal, probably my favorite stuff from them other than some of The Face of the Unknown.
7. Helloween - Big fan of all eras of this band. Kiske period is my favorite and he is absolutely killer on this!
6. Hollow - The Tower, immediately clicked with this late year release.
5. Thank You Scientist - Plague Accommodations, only a 20 minute ep, but it smokes!
4. A.C.T. - Heatwave, another ep, but really good stuff!
3. Fractal Universe - The impassable Horizon, this was my surprise of the year. Wasn't sure if I should order it, but man it grew on me quickly. Not my typical listen, but some very cool prog! Shocked Harvester didn't have this on his list?
2. Between the Buried and Me - Colors II, Didn't get into this band until well after colors, but now they're a regular near the top of my list.
1. Dream Theater - A View from the Top of the World, By far my favorite this year. Just want to keep playing it over and over.
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: My top 10 rankings for 2021...

Post by LarryD » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:33 am

Looks like we will only have one disc in common this year ....... usually we have more, but admittedly, the metal part of my list is lacking......... I'll be posting mine soon.......

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:36 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:14 am
10. Cynic - Ascension Codes, wasn't sure about this one with both Sean's gone. Still sounds like Cynic, proggy and kicks
The interludes flow so well that I don't even really notice them as interludes. This disc is great, but if someone's looking for the older more death-y Cynic, that time has passed. Good atmospheric prog and it's going to be in my list as well.

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
8. Benthos - II, reminds me of Haken in spots. 8)
I think it was Claus that introduced me to this band? Really good stuff. Dark and atmospheric.

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
7. Aeon Zen - Transversal, probably my favorite stuff from them other than some of The Face of the Unknown.
I was a huge Aeon Zen fan for the first three or so albums and then for some reason it just failed to hold me. This is probably on me and not them, but I didn't even make it all the way through Transversal.

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
5. Thank You Scientist - Plague Accommodations, only a 20 minute ep, but it smokes!
I know I'm going to love this because I love all TYS, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
2. Between the Buried and Me - Colors II, Didn't get into this band until well after colors, but now they're a regular near the top of my list.
I didn't get into BtBaM until Coma Ecliptic, but since then it's been strength after strength and this album's no exception. Love this group.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
If you read my list please leave comments. Always curious what others think. :lol:

9. Hollow - The Tower, immediately clicked with this late year release.
8. Benthos - II, reminds me of Haken in spots. 8)
7. Aeon Zen - Transversal, probably my favorite stuff from them other than some of The Face of the Unknown.
6. Helloween - Big fan of all eras of this band. Kiske period is my favorite and he is absolutely killer on this!
4. A.C.T. - Heatwave, another ep, but really good stuff!
3. Fractal Universe - The impassable Horizon, this was my surprise of the year. Wasn't sure if I should order it, but man it grew on me quickly. Not my typical listen, but some very cool prog! Shocked Harvester didn't have this on his list?
1. Dream Theater - A View from the Top of the World, By far my favorite this year. Just want to keep playing it over and over.
That's a great list - 7 of them are on my top 100 list of the year, and 2 of the others would have been had they not been EPs. There's only one of these (Aeon Zen) I don't like, and that's just because I think the singer is weak (music is fine as is, just can't stand the singers voice).
Claus Jensen