My completely non-metal post .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

My completely non-metal post .......

Post by LarryD » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 pm

So I've been buying up stuff left and right - vinyl, CDs, bluray, etc ........ but what I'm seeing is that nothing about it is metal ......except for the latest Dream Theater disc which I love.......I've been re-stocking, re-mastering, swapping out old vinyl for new versions, but I am not seeing any metal in the pile whatsoever....... I want there to be, but there is nothing that is really grabbing at me lately, so I thought I would just post a list of what I've been grabbing, listening to, etc ........ again, there is no metal to be found here so............

SAGA / I've been going through my discs, and buying up the re-masters of my favorite ones, and I'm not that excited about the newly remastered sounds here .....

EVA CASSIDY / folk, blues, gospel type singer who died in the 90s at the age of 33. I buy anything with her name on it - her voice and emotion melt me.

QUEEN / A Night at the Opera / special remastered edition, dvd with 5.1 surround sound, plus all of the original Queen videos, and archived audio commentary from the band. Strictly a collectors item - the remaster itself sounds like ass, go figure. The rest of it is excellent nostalgic stuff worth owning if you are a fan.

LEE ABRAHAM / Only Human - Lee is like the Neo-Prog version of Alan Parsons if you will.... not digging this one as much as some of his others.

RED SAND / The Sound of the Seventh Bell - produced by Michel St. Pere of Mystery; this is a lighter version of the band Mystery, if you can imagine that.

AVANDRA / Skylighting - we have already talked about this disc. Good stuff. Modern Prog Rock or something like that.

AEROSMITH / Get Your Wings - the only Aerosmith I want or own since my original vinyls were stolen. To me this is their best classic disc. Toys in the Attic is 2nd.

AL STEWART / Time Passages - re-mastered / special edition; bonus tracks, demos, concerts, etc. My favorite Stewart disc, I love anything the guy does but this is top.
AL STEWART / Year of the Cat - same as above. my second fav Al Stewart disc, re-mastered with bonus concert from 1976. priceless.

ALAN PARSONS PROJECT / The Neverending Show - Live Bluray concert; newest show, damn near perfect show, although the sound isn't quite his normal perfection.

CLIVE NOLAN / Song of the Wildlands - his newest solo disc; this is like Ayreon's last disc - narration with orchestrations and no real songs to be found. I'm convinced that Clive needs a band around him to prosper. I really don't like this one, and I hated his last rock opera called Alchemy.

THE PARADOX TWIN / Silence from Signals - we have already talked about this one; Anathema style post rock stuff, well done but I like their previous one better.

DARK FABLES / Clive Nolan & Oliver Wakeman - So Clive released a trilogy this year, called Tales by Gaslight. It was the Jabberwocky and Hound of the Baskervilles re-mastered, plus this disc, which are songs that didn't make it to either of those discs. Until now you couldn't buy it alone, but he just released this alone. I grabbed it as a completist, it sounds exactly what it is - songs that didn't make the other two discs. They are good, but they should have been included on the first two discs, except then they would have been 2-disc sets I imagine. This is not essential unless you want to complete the collection of Jabberwocky and Hound. 37 min. maybe ?

The rest consists of vinyl being replaced from the 70s ....... classic rock, hard rock, jazz, new age, etc ...........

I've got a month and half to get my hands on some good metal ....... here is hoping.

introclaus

Re: My completely non-metal post .......

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 pm

SAGA / I've been going through my discs, and buying up the re-masters of my favorite ones, and I'm not that excited about the newly remastered sounds here .....
I love SAGA, so thanks for the warning.

Then again, you and I have different “listening methods”. Most of my listening is done either through headphones while working, through headphones while running, or in the car. When I sit down at night I obviously listen out loud over the home system but that’s perhaps only 10-15% of my listening done that way. For me it’s the quality of the music that counts, not the quality of production. Yes, of course a horrible production will drag down overall score, but I guess I’m not audiophile enough to recognize it nearly to the same level as you do.
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Larry. If that's the direction you're going this year check out Drifting Sun - Foresaken Innocence. It's like a cool mix of It Bites and the lighter side of Arena. Just got released last week. This will likely be high on my list for 2021.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:27 am

For me it’s the quality of the music that counts, not the quality of production. Yes, of course a horrible production will drag down overall score, but I guess I’m not audiophile enough to recognize it nearly to the same level as you do.
****I agree and I'll take that as a compliment ......... :)