Cookie Monster making bank!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

RickyRock

Cookie Monster making bank!

Post by RickyRock » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:38 am

Man, the Cookie Monster has got to be the highest paid vocalist out there! He sure as hell shows up on a shit ton of metal albums! :lol: Just having a little fun! Well I’m definitely not a fan of his and have shied away from many of great music thanks to him….. :wink:

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: Cookie Monster making bank!

Post by Mardoch » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:45 am

The near-ubiquity of harsh vocals kind of sucks for this reason. It took me some months to get used to them and now I do really enjoy them, but I know that's not for everyone. And people get soooo fuckin elitist about it, too. "hurrdurr they been around forever hurr durr get used to it" anyway I hate those people.

Nos

Post by Nos » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:01 am

For me, it's not the actual harsh vocal that's the reason I don't like 99% of harsh vocals. The tone itself is fine most of the time, it's the approach to how they're used that aggravates me. There's two reasons for that.

1. The vocalists who don't enunciate - Sorry, but I consider making the lyrics clear to be a key part of a singers job, whether clean or harsh. You write them for a reason, so you should convey them properly. It can be done (see Akerfeldt, Swano, even Petrov), so there isn't much excuse for not putting in the effort to do it right.

2. I find harsh vocalists often don't write interesting vocal lines - There are exceptions, but so often when I do try death metal these days, I listen to what the vocalist is doing and try to imagine the same thing being sung with a clean voice. There are almost no good melodies (or rhythms are more accurate) to be found, to my ear. I compare everything to Swano's "Moontower", where his growls not only sound amazing, but are damn good melodies too.

So sure, Cookie Monster is popular, but he comes across lazy to me. That's the lamest part.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:48 am

I've acquired a taste enough to where i don't even notice them if the music is well done (Persephone,Older Opeth,ect )
Tarja is a female woman