Question about the board format

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Alberto

Question about the board format

Post by Alberto » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Triggered by the "New stuff Friday" thread...

Within a thread (aka "topic"), is there a way to flag, or highlight (for instance, display with a different background color), or even hide (if nothing else applies) the "already read" posts?

The above mentioned thread is very interesting, but it's a bit of a pain to read, as I always have to remember up to which post I already read...

I'm aware that it is possible to choose to display posts in time-descending / time-ascending order, and that it is possible to only display posts from the last 7 days, 2 weeks, etc.... but this does not quite cover what I need (sometimes I will not check the board for 3-4 weeks, sometimes I will check again after 4-5 days).

(Or of course, I could kindly ask Claus to start a separate thread each week :) )

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Question about the board format

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am

Alberto wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Within a thread (aka "topic"), is there a way to flag, or highlight (for instance, display with a different background color), or even hide (if nothing else applies) the "already read" posts?

The above mentioned thread is very interesting, but it's a bit of a pain to read, as I always have to remember up to which post I already read...

I'm aware that it is possible to choose to display posts in time-descending / time-ascending order, and that it is possible to only display posts from the last 7 days, 2 weeks, etc.... but this does not quite cover what I need (sometimes I will not check the board for 3-4 weeks, sometimes I will check again after 4-5 days).

(Or of course, I could kindly ask Claus to start a separate thread each week :) )
**** I should be able to answer this, but I can't ....... in my case, with no offense to anyone, I always post a new thread for a new disc, 1) because of what you're saying, and 2) because everything new doesn't come out on Friday .... :wink:

I figure more people would at least the new music coming out in a new thread rather than have to try to look for it ........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm

Alberto wrote:

There are a few things that might help. Unread posts (as in those on a page you haven't visited yet or those that are new since the last visit) have a different colored version of the little page icon next to the poster's name (in my black theme it's red as opposed to grey), eg. {PageIcon} by Mardoch

Similarly when you're on a main forum page the icon to the left of the thread (a list/paragraph looking thing on the prosilver theme or a sideways chevron in the black theme) will be red, have some additional decoration, and be an active link to the latest unread post in a thread.

Those are the main tools I use to make long-running threads like the Forgotten Heroes series and the New Stuff Friday threads more usable. I'd have to search around themes to see if there's anything more...assertive. Let me know how you get on with the existing options, though.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:44 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am
… and 2) because everything new doesn't come out on Friday .... :wink:
Well, it’s the official release day of albums from most labels so…
LarryD wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am
I figure more people would at least the new music coming out in a new thread rather than have to try to look for it ........
I like the one thread format since this board is as inactive as it is. If anyone feels different perhaps they should start posting more themselves. It’s easy enough to complain if you ain’t bringing anything new to the table. Perhaps the problem here is that there aren't a lot of new releases that we actually can discuss that warrant their own thread (if we go by the "Larry's rule of what is prog metal" at least :D ), and I think most people here would be annoyed by my weekly "the newest tech death release" or "my latest doom favorite" LOL
Last edited by introclaus on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Alberto wrote:
Unread posts (as in those on a page you haven't visited yet or those that are new since the last visit) have a different colored version of the little page icon next to the poster's name (in my black theme it's red as opposed to grey)
This! I just hadn't noticed this before. I use the black theme too, and indeed I can see the red page icon on unread posts.

Another awesome thing I just noticed: on top of a thread's page, next to the 1 - 2 - 3 etc. buttons to jump to the different pages of the discussion, there is a "First unread post" link that will bring you straight where you need to restart from. For the life of me, I have no idea how I did not see this before.

Problem solved as far as I'm concerned, thanks!
Alb

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm

I like the one thread format since this board is as inactive as it is. If anyone feels different perhaps they should start posting more themselves. It’s easy enough to complain if you ain’t bringing anything new to the table. Perhaps the problem here is that there aren't a lot of new releases that we actually can discuss that warrant their own thread (if we go by the "Larry's rule of what is prog metal" at least :D ), and I think most people here would be annoyed by my weekly "the newest tech death release" or "my latest doom favorite" LOL
****I agree with what you're saying ...... other than I don't see anyone complaining. I like your Friday posts, and read them all. I also agree that there aren't a lot of releases out there to really talk about .... but what does come out, I like to give it a separate post just to give the release its due credit or fear that it might get buried.

I do disagree with the comment about people getting annoyed if you post "newest this or favorite this" ..... I would read it, as I know most people would. In short, anything that comes out deserves a nod, regardless of what I think prog metal really is ....... :wink:

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Alberto wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Alberto wrote:
Unread posts (as in those on a page you haven't visited yet or those that are new since the last visit) have a different colored version of the little page icon next to the poster's name (in my black theme it's red as opposed to grey)
This! I just hadn't noticed this before. I use the black theme too, and indeed I can see the red page icon on unread posts.

Another awesome thing I just noticed: on top of a thread's page, next to the 1 - 2 - 3 etc. buttons to jump to the different pages of the discussion, there is a "First unread post" link that will bring you straight where you need to restart from. For the life of me, I have no idea how I did not see this before.

Problem solved as far as I'm concerned, thanks!
Alb
No problem. Glad to have helped. I forgot about the "first unread post" link completely, lol.