Riverside

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

RickyRock

Riverside

Post by RickyRock » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:21 pm

I just have to spread my joy… First of all I got into this band from the inception with Out of Myself. Followed by their next release, Second Life Syndrome. But for some reason I just migrated away from them probably due to my time recording all of my own music RickyRock. For anyone who cares to hear what I put out there it is on SoundCloud. Anyway, back on track…I picked up Wasteland and gave it several spins. The wow factor hit me big time. The beauty that is invoked by listening to this is amazing. Goosebumps type music. I then went back to Love, Fear and the Time Machine. Another amazingly beautiful record. Of course I have completed my whole catalog of Riverside and there is not a bad release from this incredible band. Now back to why I’m posting this… The last two releases just hit me in the cardiac muscle, big time.. I love the direction Riverside is heading…. Hopefully there will be more. There… enough of that. Now back to Wasteland…

MitchG

Re: Riverside

Post by MitchG » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:50 pm

I agree they're an exceptional band, and I thought Wasteland was wonderful. I saw them on their US tour (hadn't gotten to see them at ProgPower) and was blown away. I know the loss of Piotr was huge, and he really is a special part of their earlier albums, but the songwriting and overall feeling/tone of the music is still powerful.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

devomeister

Post by devomeister » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:12 pm

Whenever I talk to others about my favorite band, Riverside is always among a very few bands in that conversation. While they may have a track or two here and there I'd rather skip, their albums are just always a joy to listen to. Even as they shift styles, they always manage to keep whatever magic makes them sound like Riverside.

I've been fortunate to have seen them live twice, (once with Jolly, another band in that conversation), and they're just incredible live.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:01 pm

I seem to the opposite of what people are feeling ..... I'm in the camp that once Pietr left, the soul of the band went with it .... I have not enjoyed what they have put out since....... I forget where I left off, but it was maybe 1-2 disc after that I didn't care for what was going on .......

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:41 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:01 pm
I seem to the opposite of what people are feeling ..... I'm in the camp that once Pietr left, the soul of the band went with it .... I have not enjoyed what they have put out since....... I forget where I left off, but it was maybe 1-2 disc after that I didn't care for what was going on .......
No I am with you, without Pietr, 'Wasteland' was easily their worst album, lacking everything that make Riverside special.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:35 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:41 pm
LarryD wrote:
No I am with you, without Pietr, 'Wasteland' was easily their worst album, lacking everything that make Riverside special.
Same here. I hate saying it though because...well it's just kinda rough.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 am

Sometimes a band loses a member, however which way, it doesn't matter and the band carries on and writes good music and everyone is happy ..... but sometimes, a band loses a member, and all of a sudden that magical chemistry is disrupted and A) either the band can't continue the magic or B) the fan doesn't think the magic is there anymore.....

I think in the case of the passing of Pietr, a piece of that vital magic that makes this band was lost forever. Of course, that is just my opinion, and the band carried on and I'm sure wrote great music after his passing. However, for guys like me, something was missing afterwards....... it's just like feeling that the piece of a jigsaw puzzle is missing and it doesn't look right without the piece.

RickyRock

Post by RickyRock » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am

To me, there is magic from the last two records. I listen a lot to their entire catalog and it is awesome. I just get that magical musical bliss feeling from the last two. Maybe I’m just going softer. Saying that I love the direction they are heading. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Wasteland is the only record they have made without Piotr.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:13 am

RickyRock wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 am
And correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Wasteland is the only record they have made without Piotr.
You’re absolutely correct, which makes some of the comments above about people not liking the last several albums because he wasn’t there stand out as quite foolish of you ask me. Often people are quick to jump on the exit of one guy (in this case unfortunate exit) as the reason the previous albums sucked in their opinion and they just automatically lump them in with the only one that came out after said member left. Bah humbug I say …
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 am

LarryD wrote:
1) he didn't leave - he died
2) they've only made one album after that, so don't know what other albums you think you don't care for
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:31 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 am
LarryD wrote:
2) they've only made one album after that, so don't know what other albums you think you don't care for
****I didn't care for anything after Anno Domini ...... I thought Pietr had left ( ie died, passed on, passed away, departed, scooted, ran away, fled, flew the coop, - insert any word here for leaving, etc ) ......

I thought he had passed before Love, fear and the Time Machine ...... but since he didn't I haven't liked anything after Anno regardless. As far as band members leaving and having an impact on bands' future releases, sound, fan reaction, etc ..... I think that is very real and valid for not caring for future releases by bands who have lost key members........ sure, many bands go on and we all love what they do even thru several key changes ....but as far as some members leaving, I'd say there are plenty that caused people to stop listening further ...... or should I say there are lots of bands that I stopped listening to because of that since I am the only one affected by that syndrome ?

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:11 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:31 am
introclaus wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 am
LarryD wrote:
****I didn't care for anything after Anno Domini ...... I thought Pietr had left ( ie died, passed on, passed away, departed, scooted, ran away, fled, flew the coop, - insert any word here for leaving, etc ) ......

I thought he had passed before Love, fear and the Time Machine ...... but since he didn't I haven't liked anything after Anno regardless. As far as band members leaving and having an impact on bands' future releases, sound, fan reaction, etc ..... I think that is very real and valid for not caring for future releases by bands who have lost key members........ sure, many bands go on and we all love what they do even thru several key changes ....but as far as some members leaving, I'd say there are plenty that caused people to stop listening further ...... or should I say there are lots of bands that I stopped listening to because of that since I am the only one affected by that syndrome ?
That doesn’t make sense … you’re saying you didn’t like their last 3 albums and blame it on Piotr leaving. He didn’t leave, but died before the last album. So the two of three you don’t like was with him very much onboard.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm

That doesn’t make sense … you’re saying you didn’t like their last 3 albums and blame it on Piotr leaving. He didn’t leave, but died before the last album. So the two of three you don’t like was with him very much onboard.
***I'm saying that I don't like anything past Anno Domine - and I'm saying that I miscalculated when Pietr died.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:20 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm
***I'm saying that I don't like anything past Anno Domine - and I'm saying that I miscalculated when Pietr died.
Ahhh okay ;)

So you do actually agree with my statement further up that it’s easy to just lump everything together that you don’t like and blame it on someone leaving without actually looking up the facts? I rest my case :)
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 pm

I'm a minority of one, but I've never liked them.

However, now that I've been exploring stuff I've missed. I've heard a few tunes from the newest album and...I liked.

So I'll dick around and sample some random songs and see if they stick with me now.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:52 am

LarryD wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 am
Sometimes a band loses a member, however which way, it doesn't matter and the band carries on and writes good music and everyone is happy ..... but sometimes, a band loses a member, and all of a sudden that magical chemistry is disrupted and A) either the band can't continue the magic or B) the fan doesn't think the magic is there anymore.....

I think in the case of the passing of Pietr, a piece of that vital magic that makes this band was lost forever. Of course, that is just my opinion, and the band carried on and I'm sure wrote great music after his passing. However, for guys like me, something was missing afterwards....... it's just like feeling that the piece of a jigsaw puzzle is missing and it doesn't look right without the piece.

As someone who loved the electronic album the last one was not a Riverside album,it was missing the thing I loved about them,the ambient keys..

Now the new song is a step back in the right direction

Oh and after 2 plus years of not being able to log in here glad to be back

Seems I missed a few things
Tarja is a female woman