Some music from The Lasers Edge ........

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Some music from The Lasers Edge ........

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:55 pm

I lost my post from yesterday - old age I think - so here it is again ....... thanks to Claus for saving it for me .......... CDs only this time .......

KARMAKANIC / Entering the Spectra -
I'm pretty sure I had this at one time. I saw them at a Nearfest show and I was blown away. I'm trying to recapture the glory.

SAGA / Worlds Apart -
Lots of the Saga catalog has been re-mastered. I'm a chump for re-masters. The problem is, some of these discs didn't sound good from the beginning, so it's hard to polish a turd as it were. The electronic drums, the awkward vocal recording make this tough to take. I love the disc.

SAGA / The Security of Illusion -
Same. Bass is a little overblown on the re-master, to the point of boominess.

SAGA / Heads or Tales -
And even more of the same, with less bass this time.

LANDMARQ / Turbulence - Live in Poland
If you are into Neo-Prog, then you know that Damian Wilson once fronted this band. He left after 3 discs I think, and Tracy Hitchings (Clive Nolan's girlfriend) took over.
They put out a great live DVD concert - this is the CD version of it. Fabulous.

CHRISTINA BOOTH / Broken Lives & Bleeding Hearts -
Magenta's vocal sweetheart doing her solo thing. Her voice melts me.

HEKZ / Invicta -
I went to play my copy, and I opened the digi-pak to find the disc missing. Ken had one left. Fixed.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN / Couldn't Stand the Weather -
Do you want to hear the best sounding album of all time ? Then you will have to pay for it. I grabbed the CD so I didn't have to. Sound beyond belief.

LANA LANE / The Ballad Collection -
There was a time when I hunted down everything Lana Lane. I did not know this existed. A 2-CD set from 1999 & 2000 of all ballads. This is a fabulous disc, great production, and her version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd is worth the price.

MAHOGANY RUSH / Live -
Classic live album from one of the best. I have 3 version of this album already, I couldn't resist another one.

HEART / Dog & Butterfly -
Re-mastered version of my favorite Heart disc. Mistral Wind is the best song they ever wrote.

ACOLYTE / Entropy -
Prog Metal with female vocals from Australia. This is excellent.

PORCUPINE TREE / In Absentia -
My last attempt to get into P-Tree, and this disc. Had it twice already, hoping that three times a charm.

FALSE / The Last Night of Fall -
Italian Goth Metal with female vocals.

THE DEAR HUNTER / Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise -
Someone here said I needed this. Someone else said I would hate this. I don't like it.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN / Symphonized - Live with an Orchestra -
I'm baffled at how boring this is. I'm also baffled how the sound is not stellar for something of this nature. I'm baffled.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN / The Darkest Skies are the Brightest -
Solo effort from Anneke ... have not played yet.

9 SKIES / 5.20 -
Neo-Prog that is even too light for me. Even Steve Hackett and Damian Wilson can't save this one ..... as Gaetan said, their previous one is much better.....

DEVIN TOWNSEND / Epicloud -
I only like Ziltoid from Devy. I heard this one from way back when. I got it.

DEVIN TOWNSEND / Ghost -
I should have picked up this New Age style disc from Devy many years ago. Fixed.

ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER / Kryptos -
Ken trying to get me into some vintage jazz. This guy plays a harp. Extremely cool.

AFTER FOREVER / Invisible Circles (re-mastered) -
My favorite AF disc. A 3-CD set containing the re-master, B-sides, and Exordium. Cannot wait to hear this.

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Some music from The Lasers Edge ........

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm

HEKZ / Invicta -
I went to play my copy, and I opened the digi-pak to find the disc missing. Ken had one left. Fixed.
Mine too. However, I remember what I did with mine. Only had to look over one space in the collection. I put it in a different case because of the packaging. It was scratching every time I slid it out of that cardboard case. :x

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Mine too. However, I remember what I did with mine. Only had to look over one space in the collection. I put it in a different case because of the packaging. It was scratching every time I slid it out of that cardboard case. :x
****Yeah ... I've checked every disc 10 over both ways ........ I know its in some other disc case, but its too daunting to check every one at this point .... the laziness in me saw the disc at The Lasers Edge and I proclaimed " problem solved " !!!!! Now, I have an empty case and have to save it in case I actually do find the other one.......

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:08 pm

LarryD wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:55 pm
I lost my post from yesterday - old age I think - so here it is again ....... thanks to Claus for saving it for me ..........

This is by far the creepiest thing ever posted on this forum!!!

To clarify - I had Larry’s post open in a browser window on my phone when he texted that he deleted it. I did not just “save” his post hahahaha
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:39 pm

LarryD wrote:
9 SKIES / 5.20 -
Neo-Prog that is even too light for me. Even Steve Hackett and Damian Wilson can't save this one ..... as Gaetan said, their previous one is much better.....
Just to clarify, the much better album me and Larry are talking about is "Return Home", their first studio album. They have a 2nd studio album called "Sweetheart Grips" with special guests including Clive Nolan. This is very good but again not as good as their first one, at least to me. "5.20" is their 3rd studio album. They also have a live album.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:44 pm

LarryD wrote:
ACOLYTE / Entropy -
Just listened to the title track on YouTube and you are correct sir.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:00 am

Just to clarify, the much better album me and Larry are talking about is "Return Home", their first studio album. They have a 2nd studio album called "Sweetheart Grips" with special guests including Clive Nolan. This is very good but again not as good as their first one, at least to me. "5.20" is their 3rd studio album. They also have a live album.
***Thanks for clearing that up ..... I thought they only had two discs out .... I definitely need Return Home.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:01 am

This is by far the creepiest thing ever posted on this forum!!!

To clarify - I had Larry’s post open in a browser window on my phone when he texted that he deleted it. I did not just “save” his post hahahaha

***Stay out of my head and this won't happen ....... :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:15 pm

Some quick thoughts on all of this ....... have gone thru most of it once, some more.........

KARMAKANIC / Entering the Spectra -
I'm pretty sure I had this at one time. I saw them at a Nearfest show and I was blown away. I'm trying to recapture the glory.
****As I remember. Good prog rock with a concept. Excellent playing, little shy in the bass. Found myself really into this one.

SAGA / Worlds Apart -
Lots of the Saga catalog has been re-mastered. I'm a chump for re-masters. The problem is, some of these discs didn't sound good from the beginning, so it's hard to polish a turd as it were. The electronic drums, the awkward vocal recording make this tough to take. I love the disc.
***The re-master only makes this one louder. It doesn't bring up the vocals too much in the mix, which I was hoping it would. It does accent the electronic drums, and it really sounds shitty. However, being the great disc that it is - I still love it. Don't run out for these Saga re-masters unless you don't have the original.

SAGA / The Security of Illusion -
Same. Bass is a little overblown on the re-master, to the point of boominess.

SAGA / Heads or Tales -
And even more of the same, with less bass this time.
***Same as above. If you have the originals, you are good.

LANDMARQ / Turbulence - Live in Poland
If you are into Neo-Prog, then you know that Damian Wilson once fronted this band. He left after 3 discs I think, and Tracy Hitchings (Clive Nolan's girlfriend) took over.
They put out a great live DVD concert - this is the CD version of it. Fabulous.
***Wife approved. Sound approved. Performance approved. If you like your neo-prog / prog rock with female vocals, this is essential.

CHRISTINA BOOTH / Broken Lives & Bleeding Hearts -
Magenta's vocal sweetheart doing her solo thing. Her voice melts me.
***Her follow up solo disc is much better than this one - but this one is still very good. If you like Christina Booth in Magenta, this is not like that, more New-Agey / Rock thing, but her voice is fabulous.

HEKZ / Invicta -
***Nothing to say about this except that I have it back again.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN / Couldn't Stand the Weather -
Do you want to hear the best sounding album of all time ? Then you will have to pay for it. I grabbed the CD so I didn't have to. Sound beyond belief.
***Glenn or Ken can speak more of the super duper vinyl edition of this thing - but sonically, I don't think this can be beat. I'm not a fan - and occasionally I like some Stevie Ray and then hit the next button.... however, if you want to show off your system, get this thing in any version you can....... you will be rewarded.

LANA LANE / The Ballad Collection -
There was a time when I hunted down everything Lana Lane. I did not know this existed. A 2-CD set from 1999 & 2000 of all ballads. This is a fabulous disc, great production, and her version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd is worth the price.
***Most people don't want to go back 20 years and try to enjoy music all over again - but this one is just super fabulous. I used to collect all things Lana, and of course time stopped me from doing that. Hearing this 2-CD set re-affirms my love for her music and voice......

ACOLYTE / Entropy -
***And it still rings true.

PORCUPINE TREE / In Absentia -
My last attempt to get into P-Tree, and this disc. Had it twice already, hoping that three times a charm.
***Strike three - I'm out. I cannot get into this disc for the life of me. Sonically it's fantastic. Musically it's really good. But overall I just keep hitting stop after 4-5 songs...... I'm just not a P-Tree fan.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN / The Darkest Skies are the Brightest Solo effort from Anneke ... have not played yet.
***This is much better than the symphonic show. This dies reminds me of the that magical Prog Power acoustic show she played some years back and melted all of us.

DEVIN TOWNSEND / Epicloud -
I only like Ziltoid from Devy. I heard this one from way back when. I got it.
***The wall of sound that Devy is known for is killing this for me. I'm much more of a video fan of Devy than I am on audio. I love his shows, but can't do the disc thing.....

DEVIN TOWNSEND / Ghost -
I should have picked up this New Age style disc from Devy many years ago. Fixed.
***Except for this one. NO wall of sound and suits me fine.

ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER / Kryptos -
Ken trying to get me into some vintage jazz. This guy plays a harp. Extremely cool.
***Really good stuff. On the hunt for his other stuff.

AFTER FOREVER / Invisible Circles (re-mastered) -
My favorite AF disc. A 3-CD set containing the re-master, B-sides, and Exordium. Cannot wait to hear this.
***I'm very disappointed in the re-mastering of this. It doesn't add much to the recording except for more bass and drums. I needed the vocals to be much more up front I don't need the CD booklet to follow the words. The extra CDs are great, but the re-master as it is doesn't work. I think TRansmission Records was trying to suck some more money out of these AF discs, but the re-masters are just not worth it.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Wow man, you bought up all those discs Ken had sitting on a dusty shelf for years not able to sell…:)

SAGA - thanks for the warning. Love this band and have all their albums (even the one w/o Sadler), but no need to buy the remasters apparently.

DEVIN TOWNSEND - I’ve got no idea why you’d buy any of his stuff, as to me it’s just noise (except the Ziltoid albums). Seems like your comments fall in same line mostly…

ANNEKE - such a wonderful vocalist but her solo albums just bore me. She needs someone to write for her in order to shine.

THE DEAR HUNTER - great band but I have not clue why someone would think you’d enjoy them as it’s far from what you normally listen to. They are avant-garde prog rock similar to Fair to Midland, Dredg or Coheed & Cambria, which isn’t “Larry prog”.

ANDREAS VOLLENWEIDER - in the mid to late 80s I was into his stuff quite big time, but I haven’t listened to it in 30 years now …
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:08 am

DEVIN TOWNSEND - I’ve got no idea why you’d buy any of his stuff, as to me it’s just noise (except the Ziltoid albums). Seems like your comments fall in same line mostly…
BLASPHEMY, I say..... BLASPHEMY! :twisted:
ANNEKE - such a wonderful vocalist but her solo albums just bore me. She needs someone to write for her in order to shine.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Her solo style just does not appeal to me. She is a vocalist who really benefits from outside songwriting support...... Like when she works with the aforementioned Devin Townsend, for example.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:08 am

***I'm not even a casual fan .... but I do like the Ziltoid stuff, especially the show. I also like The Retinal Circus show as well. But on disc its another thing - I just can't do it......There are a few bands like this where I can only do the live show thing, but not the disc thing..........Ghost is pretty cool although I know its not his normal thing.

My thoughts EXACTLY. Her solo style just does not appeal to me. She is a vocalist who really benefits from outside songwriting support...... Like when she works with the aforementioned Devin Townsend, for example.
***I agree with this completely. When she is in a band, she shines ..... solo, I have a tough time with her material. Another strange oddity that I'm sure applies to many artists who venture outside the band chemistry and try it alone ........Clive Nolan comes to mind instantly.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:39 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:08 pm

***I'm not even a casual fan .... but I do like the Ziltoid stuff, especially the show. I also like The Retinal Circus show as well. But on disc its another thing - I just can't do it......There are a few bands like this where I can only do the live show thing, but not the disc thing..........Ghost is pretty cool although I know its not his normal thing.

***I agree with this completely. When she is in a band, she shines ..... solo, I have a tough time with her material. Another strange oddity that I'm sure applies to many artists who venture outside the band chemistry and try it alone ........Clive Nolan comes to mind instantly.
At least with Clive his stuff tends to go in a totally different direction, one which I don't consider myself anywhere near qualified to judge adequately.

With Anneke, it's certainly no knock on her..... Marcela Bovio is much the same way..... PHENOMENAL singers / musicians, just not great songwriters. And that's totally OK! Not everyone can do everything.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson