Bands You Loved When You Were Younger But Can't Stand Anymore?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Bands You Loved When You Were Younger But Can't Stand Anymore?

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:17 am

Not sure if anyone has any bands to add to this list. But I use to LOVE King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, but now I just can't stand King's vocals...I think he has amazing talent by the way, but his falsetto just grates on my nerves and I can't deal with it anymore. It just annoys me LOL...I use to be such a fan boy that I've seen Mercyful Fate in Concert and had every MF and King Diamond disk every made, including the more rares discs etc....... Anyway, I'm sure I'll come up with a few others, but that's the main band that comes to mind...

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Bands You Loved When You Were Younger But Can't Stand Anymore?

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 am

I can't think of any that I LOVED as such, but there are definitely some that I used to enjoy a lot more than I do now, most;y hair metal type stuff...... I was listening to a couple of old Ratt albums awhile back, and while their hits are all still great, the rest of their material is completely forgettable to me. The greatest hits album is almost all I think I need from them. Poison is another one that I was a fringe fan of back in The Day, but I tried listening to "Open Up" and aside from "Fallen Angel" that album was utter trash to my ears.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 am
I was listening to a couple of old Ratt albums awhile back, and while their hits are all still great, the rest of their material is completely forgettable to me. The greatest hits album is almost all I think I need from them.
To me the album "Out Of The Cellar" is excellent from start to finish! Beside that, I pretty much agree with what you say.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:27 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:17 am
Not sure if anyone has any bands to add to this list. But I use to LOVE King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, but now I just can't stand King's vocals...I think he has amazing talent by the way, but his falsetto just grates on my nerves and I can't deal with it anymore. It just annoys me LOL...I use to be such a fan boy that I've seen Mercyful Fate in Concert and had every MF and King Diamond disk every made, including the more rares discs etc....... Anyway, I'm sure I'll come up with a few others, but that's the main band that comes to mind...
Never really got into his music probably also because of his vocals.
Gaétan

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Hammerfall is definitely on the list for me, along with a lot of other really cheesy power metal. I was a teen in 2000 so a lot of mu metal also qualifies, but I have to confess the reverse applies to Linkin Park, which I hated then but have more respect for now. I kind of started my metal fandom in prog with Queensryche and Dream Theater so if nothing else my snobby-ass taste doesn't allow for a ton of retrospective dislikes. I always picked the good shit :D

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 am

Ozzy Osbourne -

After Diary of a Madman I stopped buying anything he released ..... those are two great albums, but I can't listen to them or him anymore. It is a weird thing for me, I can still go back and listen to any Black Sabbath albums and I don't have a problem with it ...... yet, anytime I hear an Ozzy solo song on the radio I turn it off ..... go figure.

At some point I must have determined that his voice was not pleasing to my ears and I just woke up and stopped listening....... either that or his goofy stage presence got to me, or the constant changing of the guitarist god, who knows ..... I just know that I loved him up to the early 80s and after that it went south fast........

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:58 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 am
Ozzy Osbourne -

After Diary of a Madman I stopped buying anything he released ..... those are two great albums, but I can't listen to them or him anymore. It is a weird thing for me, I can still go back and listen to any Black Sabbath albums and I don't have a problem with it ...... yet, anytime I hear an Ozzy solo song on the radio I turn it off ..... go figure.

At some point I must have determined that his voice was not pleasing to my ears and I just woke up and stopped listening....... either that or his goofy stage presence got to me, or the constant changing of the guitarist god, who knows ..... I just know that I loved him up to the early 80s and after that it went south fast........
That's funny...I was listening to some Zakk Wylde era Ozzy the other day and while Ozzy is still a shitty singer, the riffs have always been great. I just kinda sing over Ozzy and the quality goes way up.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Ozzy forever!!!
Gaétan

BC

Post by BC » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:16 pm

Ronnie was better
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:49 pm

I love both in Black Sabbath. I also love Tony Martin.

I rather mean Ozzy's solo albums. Many have a special place in my heart. Hence Ozzy forever!!!
Gaétan

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:27 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:17 am
I can't really think of too many bands like this for me. For the most part I'm always more or less interested in particular bands over time, but there aren't any I can think of that I used to love and now hate. There are certainly bands that I used to love and couldn't listen to for a while since I was mad at them for changing style (Metallica, POS, etc) but once I got over that I still love the old good stuff. I think I'm mostly listened to pretty good bands. There are certainly some I'm not currently interested in anymore (lots of power metal, Amaranthe) but in time I might start digging them again, who knows. I don't hate them, just not currently interested.