Pain of Savation / BE ..... vinyl edition.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Pain of Savation / BE ..... vinyl edition.

Post by LarryD » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:07 am

I just got around to playing this new vinyl from PoS ....... If you are a BE fan, you already know that it is very hard to hear the lyrics due to the way less than average production......this is a lyrical disc that begs for the lyrics to be heard and I have strained many a time trying to hear the damn words......now, thanks to this new vinyl, the words come out so clear that you don't even need the booklet to follow anymore......when God speaks at the opening of the story, it is full on crystal clear and the impact is more than enjoyable to finally hear this story in all its glory......

The instruments have also taken on a new sound, especially the drums which sound like he is right in the room with you playing along with the album......alas, there is a trade-off to all of this, and that is the bass, or lack of. On the original recording there is little to no bass to speak of whatsover - and here, sadly, the same remains. There is virtually no bass to speak of, and even with a large tweak in my subwoofer to try to trick my ears into thinking there was bass, my subwoofer looked at me dumbfoundedly and asked me what the hell is it that you want from me bro ? I replied to the sub - " can you give me just a little bit of bass or make me think there is some ?" ......The subwoofer replied - " sorry, I can't give you what isn't there " ....... I knew the answer already, but in my desperate attempt to find some bass, I hoped that my subwoofer would come through .....but it could not.

I would imagine that on a computer with headphones, or using headphones on a system with bass / treble, you might be able to suck some fake bass out of it ....but if you have a decent system that is revealing, you are out of luck here...... still, being able to hear these lyrics without having to read the booklet is more than satisfying.....had they been able to add in some bass to this recording, this would have been a perfect 10 for PoS.........

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Pain of Savation / BE ..... vinyl edition.

Post by LarryD » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:08 am

What I failed to add to these PoS posts is that both version of the vinyl so give you the CD version of the re-mixes as well. You will have to buy the vinyl to get these CD versions if I'm not mistaken.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 am

Lo and behold I did a comparison between the vinyl and the accompanying CD that comes with it ....... the differences are staggering. The vinyl is mastered hot, with tons of treble, crisp clean vocals, and no bass to speak of .....

The CD now has a very good amount of bass, has a fuller sound, but the vocals are still clear but not as clear as on the vinyl .......yet, you can hear most of the lyrics. The background vocals not so much ...... I would definitely take the CD version over the vinyl just for the lack of bass - the CD has a much fuller sound here, and I'm betting the same would happen if I do an A/B comparison of this and the original CD, which I will soon ......

It is a shame that you can't get just the CD version -- it does look like you can get the new (2020) CD version of " The Perfect Element " signed by Daniel on their web site, but no others......

What is even stranger is that nowhere does it say what they did to the new versions....... remixed ? remastered ? Something has happened here, as I'm playing the BE cd as I write this, and the words are so clear you can hear the whole story being played out..... You know the part where the guy wants to take the girl for a ride just before the gospel song ? Now you can hear what is actually being said .......

As it stands, I am completely enthralled with these re-worked versions...... this and 12:5 deserve to be on vinyl, but had they released both on CD only, I think they would have seen much more sales ......they are definitely worth having if you are a fan of either disc.........I happen to love both, so this was a win for me ..........

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 am

Interesting... I'd expect better care to be taken on the vinyl master. Curious.

Are any of your other albums sounding similarly harsh? Is it a setup or stylus wear issue? Did you do a good cleaning on it before playing? I've noticed some fairly significant changes on the sound of albums after cleaning them properly, though that's USUALLY removing a murkiness to the sound. Sometimes it tames strident highs as well.

Not to say that what you're noticing is incorrect. I've simply had a lot of instances where something was messed up in my setup negatively impacting the sound quality of my vinyl playback.