Whatever happened to...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

devomeister

Whatever happened to...

Post by devomeister » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:15 pm

I've been on a classic kick the past couple of days.

Whatever ever happened to that 3rd album from Mayadome... Into the Great Big Nothing? I recall that the band broke up before it was released, but I'm shocked it never made it's way into the wild or to Bandcamp or something.

Whatever happened to Digital Ruin? They had one of the more distinctive sounds of the era.

How about Superior? As tradition prog metal goes, these guys were one of my favorites. Ultima Ratio still gets the occasional spin.

Anyway, just curious.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

introclaus

Re: Whatever happened to...

Post by introclaus » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:38 pm

devomeister wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I've been on a classic kick the past couple of days.

Whatever ever happened to that 3rd album from Mayadome... Into the Great Big Nothing? I recall that the band broke up before it was released, but I'm shocked it never made it's way into the wild or to Bandcamp or something.
The album was “kind of” recorded - really well done demos/promos but we never found a label before the band broke up, and eventually Teddy, Eric and Seb focused all their energy into Loch Vostok instead. Eric eventually quit the music and vocalist Bassel passed away a few years ago. Not sure about Frederik and Seb.

The promo (well “album”) was awesome though and I occasionally bring it out for a spin. Loved that band and I still remember the first time I ever met them … 20 minutes after first meeting each other we were all best friends.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 am

Whatever happened to Digital Ruin? They had one of the more distinctive sounds of the era.
***Matt, the singer, left Digital Ruin to pursue a different path in music. He went to California and for a time, was a tech for Tommy Lee's band. Matt had a project, but if I remember right, it was sort of a rap band. I don't remember why it all happened, but I'm thinking that Matt didn't think Prog Metal was where it was at financially, and wanted bigger and better things. Dave Souza, the guitarist, put out a solo demo CD shortly after, resembling something of a John Petrucci type solo disc.......I don't know what happened to the other members.....

How about Superior? As tradition prog metal goes, these guys were one of my favorites. Ultima Ratio still gets the occasional spin.
***Bernd Basmer and I were email buddies for awhile after Ultima Ratio. He told me that they had recorded some material for the next disc but some of the guys had moved away from each other and made it difficult to get the product finished. I did manage to hear one of two songs from the disc, and it sounded like Ultima Ratio Part II, which was fine with me, but alas the disc never got finished and the band disbanded. Without pointing a finger, if I recall, Michael Tangermann, the singer, made it difficult to finish the disc, or didn't want to finish it or something like that, but I could be wrong. It was a shame that this band did not continue on, one of my favorites as well....

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:19 am

Anyone know anything about 7Days? They put out Weight of the World in 2006 and I found that on the internet exactly once, loved it, and never heard whisper of them after that.

I'd also love to know about Age of Nemesis (formerly Nemesis) if anyone knows. Psychogeist and Terra Incognita in 2006 and 2007 respectively were a pair of excellent powerprog discs, and then they vanished seemingly. I managed to get my hands on their older album when they were Nemesis and it's also very good. They're Hungarian if I recall correctly.

There are a lot of more recent seemingly one-album-wonders that I'd love to know what happened to as well. Fake Heroes from Italy being a recent example. Really solid modern prog metal album in 2015 and then...poof?

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 am

Bernd is doing a pop/rock thing now, sounds very radio friendly
https://youtu.be/cQQyZV_k5W8

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Remembered another one I'm curious about: Eumeria. Rebel Mind was a cool album that was kind of ahead of the times back in 2011 and then...nothing?

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:19 am
Anyone know anything about 7Days? They put out Weight of the World in 2006 and I found that on the internet exactly once, loved it, and never heard whisper of them after that.
They put out a second album called Into Forever. They just rereleased and remixed/remastered both albums this year, so maybe still active?
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:19 am
They put out a second album called Into Forever. They just rereleased and remixed/remastered both albums this year, so maybe still active?
Oh, nice! I'll look for those.