SYLVAN / One to Zero ...... what happened ?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

SYLVAN / One to Zero ...... what happened ?

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:39 pm

This disc was one of my most anticipated once I saw that The Lasers Edge had it forthcoming ..........jumped on it immediately as I love this band. The problem is, I've been disappointed by their last two discs, and after so many years in between, I figured that this had to be the comeback for them ( or for me at least ). Nope......

I know that there aren't that many fans of this band here - I'm sure Gaetan has this and loves it, or hasn't heard it yet. I won't even go into the reasons why I don't like this one - its not worth it to try to find so many things that don't click....all I can say is that it is boring beyond belief. There is no life to the disc - it sounds like a sad, sci-fi, melancholy borefest......I can't tell one song from the next one .......

In their defense - when you write a masterpiece like Posthumous Silence, anything that follows is going to be compared to it. We can't help it - we are built that way.

The production itself is stellar - the music and vocals ? Blah. This band has been around for so long, I guess they have lost the fire.......they have always been a blind purchase for me - another one off the list. The list is so small I don't even look at it anymore. This disc is my biggest disappointment of the year so far.......such a shame.

Harvester

Re: SYLVAN / One to Zero ...... what happened ?

Post by Harvester » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am

LarryD wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:39 pm
The list is so small I don't even look at it anymore.

Some serious "get off my lawn" going on here.

Norén

Post by Norén » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:15 pm

I feel the same. The first single was not bad so I hoped for much more but it turned out to be a complete snoozefest. Unfortunately.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:33 pm

Album currently playing... I'm at track 5 of 10... I'm wondering if I will press stop right away... boring...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:47 am

GaetanL wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:33 pm
Album currently playing... I'm at track 5 of 10... I'm wondering if I will press stop right away... boring...
****I had to stop it several times before I could get through the whole thing when I first got it. After I played the whole thing through, I never went back again. With each disc, this band seems to have gotten more and more away from the very thing that made them great. Variety, melodies, and drama....... their past couple of discs have been just plain boring - no other way to describe it. They just don't go anywhere ....... so sad for band thats been around as long as they have ......