Carmeria - Advenae

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Locust0311

Carmeria - Advenae

Post by Locust0311 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:50 pm

Stumbled onto this today, they're out of Australia and just released their debut album. Total Khan-era Kamelot worship going on here but its very well done.

Morningstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsSw5x6TSc

To Lead the Blind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wywoZYHhvVg

Celestia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m6Lf7Nz1Es

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Carmeria - Advenae

Post by LarryD » Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am

I don't think I've ever seen anyone come this close to doing Kamelot ...... that was superb.

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri May 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Thanks. Sounds promising. I'll give the album a listen.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 28, 2021 12:32 pm

I checked this out just after I posted about Turbulence being my no.1 so far this year. This could beat it out. I'm having doubts about finding physical options, but I'll contact the band to see. A download is fine and I suppose that's going to be far more prevalent. But damn these tunes sounds great!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 28, 2021 4:37 pm

It is extremely well done, but also extremely bland and lacking of identity. I loved last years Ad Infinitum since it took the Kamelot sound and gave it a little spin/twist with Melissa’s vocals, but when you copy the music AND add a singer who tries to emulate the same vocal melodies we know from Tommy and Khan, well then it just becomes too much of a carbon copy.

Will I buy it? Perhaps … I love this kind of music. Will I enjoy it? Yes, some great songs. Will I be annoyed as heck every time I spin it? Oh yeah, undoubtedly so!
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Fri May 28, 2021 4:46 pm

As someone who adores the sound of Khan-era Kamelot, this also came off a bit bland and plain to me. Love what they are trying to do, but needs a little spin to make it interesting.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 28, 2021 5:32 pm

Tomalot never scratched my Khanalot needs completely so this'll do for a while. They look ridiculous, like the Ghost Ship Octavius tour bus crashed with the Cure's, but I can dig this stuff. Nobody has been able to fully fill the Khan void, but this is a nice attempt by a young band. At least they have great taste.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm

I really enjoy almost all of the Kamelot discography and I have no problem with clones, but I didn't find any hooks in the samples of this band to make me want to further investigate. :|

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun May 30, 2021 10:26 am

It was fine, serviceable I guess. I think it felt like a filler opener who happens to be pretty good, honestly. I don't think they've put any thought into who they are beyond "Kamelot".