The Stranger

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Norén

The Stranger

Post by Norén » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:53 pm

Good stuff from down under. I would place it somewhere between Soen and Leprous.
https://youtu.be/P4gwgV_N0LQ
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Re: The Stranger

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:31 pm

Stupid name aside (sounds like something ... well .. go visit urban dictionary) this is pretty good. I agree that there are some Soen and Leprous elements, I also hear some Haken and some Caligula's Horse to it. In general, it's that whole "next-gen prog metal style" that we've heard tons of in the past couple of years, and while it's good, I don't think they (yet) have what it takes to set them apart and reach the level of any of the aforementioned bands.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed May 12, 2021 12:23 pm

I bought this based on that one video alone ...... thought it was superb. When we talk about those other bands like Leprous, Haken and C-Horse, I always fear the lack of melodies ( or what I perceive as such ) ....... that video had zero lack of melodies and I found it very easy to listen to ....... maybe the rest of the disc won't pan out in the end, but I haven't blindly bought on a whim in a long time - it feels good. :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 am

Maybe I'm talking out my ass and way too early - but I'm dumbfounded that more people aren't talking about this one, or at least checking it out ....... seems as Claus and a few others have heard it, and aren't that excited about it as I am - but hopefully that won't change when I get the disc. That video on The Lasers Edge web site just struck a note in me as in "need to hear this one now".

I may regret my blind purchase buy I just made - but that one song I heard I can at least say was awesome.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am

I did give the video a play, and it just didn't grab me. I can hear aspects of the bands mentioned, but at the time I tried it I just wasn't blown away (PERSONALLY). Keep in mind, of course, that a lot of the more modern prog isn't really my thing anyway (aside from Haken and Leprous, although Leprous lost me on the last album).

Interested to hear what you think after hearing the whole album and perhaps I'll come back to it.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 pm

I think that I don't care for Leprous or Haken makes me like this more as I have nothing to compare to. Super solid stuff to my ears.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
I did give the video a play, and it just didn't grab me. I can hear aspects of the bands mentioned, but at the time I tried it I just wasn't blown away (PERSONALLY). Keep in mind, of course, that a lot of the more modern prog isn't really my thing anyway (aside from Haken and Leprous, although Leprous lost me on the last album).

Interested to hear what you think after hearing the whole album and perhaps I'll come back to it.
****I've been thru this for a couple of weeks now - and I stand by my initial feelings - that this is a superb disc. Same for me with the modern prog thing, and I'm not even a fan of Leprous, but this one is hitting the spot nicely ........ Not as quirky as Leprous, not as technical as Haken, but sort of a hybrid of the two with loads more melodies I'd say......really enjoying this.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu May 27, 2021 2:19 pm

I actually ordered up the new Evership and the Benthos discs yesterday, and ALMOST threw this in the cart to round it out..... Maybe next time.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu May 27, 2021 5:39 pm

I quickly dismissed this a month ago, but it’s actually been one I came back to a few times before deciding to purchase it. This isn’t a perfect album by any means, but most of it is VERY strong and there’s a lot of promise in these guys. It should not come as any surprise that I prefer the band when they lean most towards the melancholic Leprous or Soen side of things (The Gemini) rather than the more proggy Haken or Caligula’s Horse side (Siren), but where they really excel is when they succeed in mixing the two (Eleventh Hour, Creatures in the Canopy). A few of the songs are a bit too plain though, but I will not hold that against them since this is pretty much their first real album (well, at least on a record label). Plenty of room to grow as a band.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu May 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:19 pm
I actually ordered up the new Evership and the Benthos discs yesterday, and ALMOST threw this in the cart to round it out..... Maybe next time.
*****For me it was Evership and Sylvan ........ :wink:

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Fri May 28, 2021 3:22 am

Yep. One spin through this and much killer. Thanks for the suggestion. A lot of great mixed vocal discs this year. Totally up my alley.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 pm

It's apt that the name of the album is Kaleidoscope cause this album is unfocused as fuck.

It's really all over the place vocally, and that's not normally something I can handle. Musically it's outstanding, but a few more melodies and less warbling on the vocals(just hold a damn note) would be in order for me. I'll go through my others in the stack and then come back to this.

For reference, I spun this one directly after listening to Odd Dimension, which wasn't terribly great either.

I'll come back to them cause I hear the potential.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 am

I listened to their first album a lot for like 3 months and then...never again. The singles from this seem promising, though.