Disappointments of the year (so far)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Disappointments of the year (so far)

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:42 am

This is not a list of any album I don't like (because there are lot of those), no, for me a disappointing album is one I was expecting a lot from, the band just didn't deliver.

KEOR - Teardrop
The 2018 album Petrichor was such a wonderful surprise (thanks Mattias Noren for posting about them), but the new album is just a bunch of stupid noise. Seems like something Toehider or Devin Townsend would put out, and that just doesn't do it for me at all ... Very disappointing.

ACCEPT - Too Mean to Die
I actually really enjoyed the previous Tornillo-fronted albums, (especially "Blind Rage"), but this one is just boring.

What are some of your disappointments so far?
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Disappointments of the year (so far)

Post by LarryD » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am

For me, there hasn't been enough releases to warrant a list - and happily, everything I've gotten has been great for me so far this year ...... but, there is one disc that I just scratched my head at and wondered why I bought it in the first place......

THERION / Leviathan

I'm not sure why I bought this - blind even - maybe because I hadn't bought a Therion in so many years figuring I had what I need ......... but after reading the synopsis, and some of the glowing reviews online, I said what the hell...... wrong.

Starting with the " less than normal Therion production " .... this one just sounds flat and dull. There is no life in the sound, and Christof even explains that in the liner notes...... the music isn't exciting Therion, and it just sounds like something they out there to keep their name in the mix.

Big disappointment........

Norén

Post by Norén » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:42 am
KEOR - Teardrop
The 2018 album Petrichor was such a wonderful surprise (thanks Mattias Noren for posting about them), but the new album is just a bunch of stupid noise. Seems like something Toehider or Devin Townsend would put out, and that just doesn't do it for me at all ... Very disappointing.
I do like Devin and Toehider but this one doesn't work for me either :-(
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm

I can now add SYLVAN / One to Zero as my biggest disappointment of the year ...........such a total let down for me.

Nos

Post by Nos » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:15 pm

I'm still disappointed in Transatlantic following through on their idea to release two completely different versions of "The Absolute Universe". To hear everything I want to, I either hand to listen to both versions or make my own. Neither release they are providing is satisfying, knowing I'm missing out on something I prefer from the other.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am

I agree with both Keor and Therion releases. I didn't make it more than 2 tracks into the Keor before I opted out. Therion just...wasn't interesting to me.

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am

I'm not a fan of the direction Sirenia went with "Riddles, Ruins, & Revelations."

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:31 pm

Harvester wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am
I'm not a fan of the direction Sirenia went with "Riddles, Ruins, & Revelations."
*****Glenn -- I'm about 4-5 discs back ........ what has changed with this band besides the singers ?

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm

LarryD wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:31 pm
Harvester wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am
*****Glenn -- I'm about 4-5 discs back ........ what has changed with this band besides the singers ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJK3fn_7xk

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:43 am

Man, I dunno. I've gotten so many records this year so far, way more than I usually do. I'd have to say, I'm really bummed by how the Magnus Karlsson's Hearthealer project turned out. I expected so much more and I was pretty disappointed with how blah it was.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:42 am
ACCEPT - Too Mean to Die
I actually really enjoyed the previous Tornillo-fronted albums, (especially "Blind Rage"), but this one is just boring.
Not disappointing in anyway at all Herman Frank - Two For A Lie is basic modern power metal with a traditional feel to it.
Great riffs, songs have lots of energy, Rick Altzi on vocals some cliché lyrics, but this is boot stomping metal at it's best.
Herman is still able to write some great melodic riffs.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am

gazinwales wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 am
Not disappointing in anyway at all Herman Frank - Two For A Lie is basic modern power metal with a traditional feel to it.
Great riffs, songs have lots of energy, Rick Altzi on vocals some cliché lyrics, but this is boot stomping metal at it's best.
I'm turned off already by the mention of Altzi ... lol ... he is the singer that ruins any band he gets involved with; Treasure Land, Masterplan, Sandalinas, At Vance etc.
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Altzi not my favourite vocalist, but he does a good job with HF.
As for ruining bands, it took me about 10 years to accept him as the Masterplan vocalist :D
The only vocalist that comes to mind for making them unlistenable is.....JLB.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:25 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:14 pm
As for ruining bands, it took me about 10 years to accept him as the Masterplan vocalist :D
Hehe, see I always liked LaBrie :)

I’ll check out the Herman Frank album.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:08 am

Jumping into the tangent, one massively unlistenable vocalist for me is Fabbio Lione. Anywhere he shows up, I nope out. Ditto Elliot Coleman. I'm still mad that I lost The Safety Fire but Good Tiger is still going.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:07 am

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:25 pm
gazinwales wrote:

I like Labrie on Images and Awake and also Scenes of a Memory....After that he really went down hill...He just can't sing live anymore. I often think it must be because of a medical condition. I've listened to several live concerts on youtube of DT and at first I thought it was just me, but there's usually hundreds of other comments also commenting on how bad Labrie sounds. The way he slurs his words and sings like he's wearing a tongue depressor in his mouth always makes me never able to finish listening to the concert...

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:30 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am
gazinwales wrote:
I'm turned off already by the mention of Altzi ... lol ... he is the singer that ruins any band he gets involved with; Treasure Land, Masterplan, Sandalinas, At Vance etc.
Well, late into this thread, but I think Altzi rules in all of his bands. Great raspy powerful vox.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:30 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 am
gazinwales wrote:
Well, late into this thread, but I think Altzi rules in all of his bands. Great raspy powerful vox.
Well …. ;)
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:54 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:07 am
introclaus wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:25 pm
gazinwales wrote:

I like Labrie on Images and Awake and also Scenes of a Memory....After that he really went down hill...He just can't sing live anymore. I often think it must be because of a medical condition. I've listened to several live concerts on youtube of DT and at first I thought it was just me, but there's usually hundreds of other comments also commenting on how bad Labrie sounds. The way he slurs his words and sings like he's wearing a tongue depressor in his mouth always makes me never able to finish listening to the concert...
I agree 100%. I so much want to get the two Dream Theater live disks they released last month, but I just can't get over the fact that his voice is going be really rough sounding....

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:13 am

I agree 100%. I so much want to get the two Dream Theater live disks they released last month, but I just can't get over the fact that his voice is going be really rough sounding....
****I was able to stream the Images and Words show, and sadly our fears are coming true ....... not only does the show itself sound pretty bad ( it is recorded off the soundboard I think ), but James should not be singing a full album of Images and Words at this point in his career. It hurt at times to hear him struggle though it. It's like asking Geoff Tate to sing the entire Mindcrime album note for note tomorrow.....not gonna happen.

BC

Post by BC » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 pm

These guys need to take a clue from Ray Alder and rework the vocal melodies to suit their current vocal ranges.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!