Was "Rage for Order" ('86) inspired by "7800 Fahrenheit" ('85)?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Was "Rage for Order" ('86) inspired by "7800 Fahrenheit" ('85)?

Post by introclaus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 am

• Both being the second album by each band
  • Both the most different of their entire catalogue
  • Both having some strange electro pop influence
  • Both featuring darker songs than normally
I don't know ... just rambling here I guess ... but I've been listening to "7800 Fahrenheit" this morning (must have been at least 5 years since last time), and all I could think about was how odd this album was for a band that later became superstars, and that it just doesn't match any of the rest of their catalogue. And then I started making the connection to "Rage for Order", not just songwriting style but also production. I might be completely off my rocker here, but I hear similarities ... lol
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Was "Rage for Order" ('86) inspired by "7800 Fahrenheit" ('85)?

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:35 am

I might be completely off my rocker here, but I hear similarities ... lol
Yeah...... Ummm...... I'm thinking you might have slipped and hit your head a bit.

That being said, yes, both albums are a bit of outliers, but in totally different ways. For Bon Jovi, I believe that was the first album written as a "band" (as much as Bon Jovi has EVER been a "band"), whereas the debut was a glorified solo project with musicians added in that became the band.... I'm sure this results in some variable styles coming to the front....

To this day, I still don't quite get where "Rage" came from, as that album still remains so uniquely ahead of its time. My best guess is that the common theme between both albums is that they were from musicians who suddenly had a slightly larger budget at their disposal for recording purposes, and decided to stretch their wings a bit more.... Eventually, both hit their commercial stride and settle into a more defined lane, but early on they were still trying to find their mojo.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Re: Was "Rage for Order" ('86) inspired by "7800 Fahrenheit" ('85)?

Post by Harvester » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:42 pm

Claus is giving QAnon an entirely different meaning.

7800 rules hard though.