Redemption clones

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Redemption clones

Post by Random Axe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:15 pm

There are none. Zero.

That tells me that they're at the top of the food chain within the community.

There's hundreds of Maiden, Priest and, of course in our world, Dream Theater clones and soundalikes. I use a lot of band comparisons in my descriptions of music and I've never once compared any band to Redemption and I've never read a single review that insinuates that either. The hopeful and joyous catharsis, inner reflection and urgency in the songs are near impossible to duplicate without sounding like a fool in the attempt, and that's not even going into the talent level required. So, unless I missed it, there is no band like them and none have made the mistake of following their formula.

I guess you could make the argument that nobody sounds like Primus either, but then who'd ever want to?

I hope the radio silence from them indicates a current writing and recording process.

Psychotic Symphony

Re: Redemption clones

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:41 pm

I think that's because Redemption is already pretty derivative. They've taken influence from many areas. There could be someone out there who has done their darndest to make music exactly like Redemption, but pretty much any reviewer will still say "Band X sounds like a mix of Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and some Symphony X". Also, they haven't exactly set the world on fire either. I mean no disrespect, and I'm sure Nick would agree that they haven't gotten anywhere near the numbers of.. say DragonForce, Sabaton, or even the aforementioned bands. I think I recall Nick saying one time that "when I lose less money this album than the last album I consider it a success". Why doesn't anyone sound like Labyrinth? DGM?

Also, there are plenty of other bands that have a notable influence from Primus :)
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:02 pm

Where I was going was no band has the exact combination and versatility of the thrash riffs, mixed with keys and pure, emotive vocals with some odd cadences, lyrical content and subject matter. Sure, they're comprised of a lot of musical influences and elements, but mixing them all together like they do is 100 percent unique. It's like Prog Metal Chopped. They draw upon pieces that might not normally mix well and transform them into a masterclass.

So I guess what I'm saying and what you're saying is either they are too difficult and unique to copy or they are too much of a niche band within the prog community to have enough influence to inspire. I suppose somewhere in there is the reality.

In my 25 years in the prog and metal community I've never heard a band like them, which is why I'm so drawn.

And yes, to me every Italian power metal band sounds like Labyrinth and DGM! LOL

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:43 pm

I actually agree with both of you here ... I don’t think Redemption brought anything “new” or “unique” as such to the genre that makes them identifiable on first listen - and in return that is probably why there aren’t bands that sound like them.

I was their manager for 7-8 years or so, and I love Nick and his music. The Ray-fronted albums are just absolutely amazing.

But, again, I don’t think they were unique in their musical style at all, instead they brought a “heart and soul” to the genre that was much needed after so many bands had gone down the “let’s just sound like DT’s greatest hits and make sure each note is heard clearly and everyone knows how talented we are on our instruments”.

Nicks songwriting is focused on the big melody instead of the technical aspect of it, but essentially it’s the Fates W meets DT style like so many other - the difference here being the emotions Nick (and his band) was able to get across.

Redemption is very much a prog metal band with a soul, and that’s what sets them apart.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:15 pm
There are none. Zero.

That tells me that they're at the top of the food chain within the community.
I would think the exact opposite. If you're at the top, competition would come to rip you off.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am

My personal issues with people aside, I will largely agree with Claus here.

The only thing that was "new" that Nick ever really seemed to try to add was some good melodic hooks. Truth be told, few progmetal bands have managed to write choruses as catchy as Nick came up with a lot of the time. And he even managed to get a non-cringey performance out of Labrie, so bravo on that alone. :P

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:09 pm

My entire point was their song structure is unique.

Take Bleed Me Dry. Nick's use of trashy riffs before the first verse never seem, well, thrashy. He turns what normally isn't melodic into pure melody. And then he follows up that verse with some tasty keys. I think I'm such a fan of them from the unorthodox style.

Nobody may agree with me but I find them to be the most unique band in the genre.

outprogged42

Post by outprogged42 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:51 pm

I would not say that Redemption aren't a unique band. I just don't think they get to the point where they have many tangible qualities that other bands don't, that are easy to replicate for other bands. Emotional urgency by the use of increasing harmonic tension is fairly close (Nick described theoretically to me how he uses this to make songs). Poetic, real-life lyrics are unique to each specific band, though not unique as a general concept. I don't think they're the type of band that someone would have the ability to copy, unlike Dream Theater who have a very distinct, developed, tangibly replicable style. Not exactly sure how to describe the difference.

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:13 pm

introclaus wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:43 pm
I actually agree with both of you here ... I don’t think Redemption brought anything “new” or “unique” as such to the genre that makes them identifiable on first listen - and in return that is probably why there aren’t bands that sound like them.

I was their manager for 7-8 years or so, and I love Nick and his music. The Ray-fronted albums are just absolutely amazing.

But, again, I don’t think they were unique in their musical style at all, instead they brought a “heart and soul” to the genre that was much needed after so many bands had gone down the “let’s just sound like DT’s greatest hits and make sure each note is heard clearly and everyone knows how talented we are on our instruments”.

Nicks songwriting is focused on the big melody instead of the technical aspect of it, but essentially it’s the Fates W meets DT style like so many other - the difference here being the emotions Nick (and his band) was able to get across.

Redemption is very much a prog metal band with a soul, and that’s what sets them apart.
Nick is doing exactly what I try to do musically (with a much bigger budget of course)
Write and record music he wants to listen to 24/7 365 using all his influences...
Classic thrash with prog/off timing,lush keys...great vocals,and lyrics that tackle human emotion in a way few this side of Neil Peart ever did
His tastes coincide with mine 100% which is why this is a top band ever in my book
Tarja is a female woman