Turbulence - Frontal

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Turbulence - Frontal

Post by Random Axe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

What a pleasant surprise.

Frontiers had a great release last year in the prog metal world with Paralydium, and they've followed up with an even stronger release. Turbulence is a band from Lebanon, and they are not playing around making AOR shit for Frontiers, nor does this have anything to do with Del Vecchio(he's a good dude BTW).

I was blown away by the depth of these compositions, the texture difference between songs and even within the songs. It's a complex album but still has great melody. The guitarist can easily riff with the best in the biz including Romeo and Mularoni. And, this vocalist can seriously bring it. He's got major pipes and can alter style much like Dan Glidenlow.

Never would have thought this, but it's an AoY contender for me.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Turbulence - Frontal

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:59 am

Totally agree - this disc scratches the melodic prog metal itch while at the same time satisfying the tech dudes as these guys can bring it. Very very melodic while being somewhat techie at the same time ...... Anyone who is into Paralydium, Pyramid Theorem, etc - would do well to check this band out ..... as you said, a really nice surprise !!

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:06 am

People give Sarafino crap because of all the copycat, cookie cutter bands he signs, but this one is quite different. He is venturing into full-on prog territory, and that's a welcomed sign for bands who have trouble catching on to any kind of label support. If I had to describe this I'd say it's somewhere between Ascendia, Shattered Skies and Caligula's Horse. Massive vocals, some tasteful djent flavorings and more modern prog styling and massively tight production.

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm

LarryD wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:59 am
Totally agree - this disc scratches the melodic prog metal itch while at the same time satisfying the tech dudes as these guys can bring it. Very very melodic while being somewhat techie at the same time ...... Anyone who is into Paralydium, Pyramid Theorem, etc - would do well to check this band out ..... as you said, a really nice surprise !!
Well, I'm really into Paralydium and don't care for this album. This is very proggy, way proggier than Paralydium, and much less memorable for me. Top notch musicianship for sure, but this is for the full-on progheads only IMO.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Finally digging through my music research queue and just hit this one. Damn this is really nice. It's like a grittier DGM. And I'm always down for supporting bands that aren't plain ole US/Euro folks.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Few couple of months into this and it's definitely the best I've heard this year. Need is second at this point.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri May 28, 2021 1:41 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:17 pm
Few couple of months into this and it's definitely the best I've heard this year. Need is second at this point.
*****I'm the opposite - Need beats this one for me, but not by much...... there is something so emotional about that Need disc that captures me. Turbulence is fantastic prog metal ..........

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 28, 2021 1:44 pm

We're right there together in thinking and taste so far. If you haven't yet you should definitely go back and look into Need's previous two albums. This one completes a trilogy. Youtube the song Lifeknot and you'll be won over. Very much in the vein of FWX and Alder's Engine, but with more groove. George is my current favorite guitarist on Earth.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am

Just finished my first listen of this and it's pretty great. Well executed melodic powerprog of the kind that's been kicking around for 25ish years, but with more modern sound palettes.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:30 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am
Just finished my first listen of this and it's pretty great. Well executed melodic powerprog of the kind that's been kicking around for 25ish years, but with more modern sound palettes.
*****Totally. And excellent.