Re-discovering Dreamscape

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Re-discovering Dreamscape

Post by Random Axe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:48 pm

When End of Silence was released around 20056 or so it just didn't click with me. It was good to my ears but nothing noteworthy and I've pretty much been dismissive ever since.

I pulled this album off the shelf a couple of weeks ago and this just crushed me. Outstanding stuff, great compositions and vocals. Great mix of epic songs and more concise tunes. This is just such a well-balanced, classy album that I was too goddam stupid to pick up on. So now I'm onto 5th Season and Revoiced. I hears a little of 5th but it sounded like a different band, different energy? Maybe someone can enlighten me. I actually just ordered from Amazon for 7 dollars! New!

So yeah, I'm all on board and now...they're gone. I haven't checked out Everlight but haven't heard great things. At one time I think Mischa Mang was a touring vocalist? I think he could have brought a cool element if he got in the studio. Most don't care for him but I found his delivery in Ivanhoe to be cool.

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Re-discovering Dreamscape

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 pm

I thought EoS was blah when it first was released. Later, something clicked with me as well. Now it is one of my favorites in my collection along with The Fifth Season. Revoiced is cool for what it is and Rolland just adds something special to their tunes. I would consider Very an essential release as well. Hubi is an acquired taste but I think he's fantastic and this cd brings it too. Everlight isn't as consistent, but has a number of awesome tunes for the die hard fans like myself.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I was actually listening to the first two yesterday - must have been 10-15 years since I last dusted them off ... they still hold up nicely and Hubi is (acquired taste and all) still my favorite of their vocalists. Something soothing about that velvet voice of his.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 am

Love seeing a blast from the past suddenly get a little love.... They really did have a different sound from album to album, and the Roland albums are the most consistent, but the Hubi "Very" album is a true must-have. That's where I first got into them, and Hubi's voice is as smooth as they come. (Would love to see him re-surface and release that third solo album he had in the works....)

The last album with the different singers has its moments, but does come off a bit scattered overall.

What I love about Dreamscape, especially after seeing them live WAY back at PP ??? is that they do a "lot" with a "little". There isn't an insane amount of noodling going on, none of the musicians are playing the DT role of showmanship, but collectively they make an incredibly cohesive whole. Sort of Vanden Plas light, in a sense?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm

I'm kinda digging the Very material. I've got both of his solo albums here somewhere. I bought a bulk lot of prog cds and these were in there along with some other more obscure stuff. I played a couple of those tunes on YouTube and I line tha so far as well.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:30 am

I love all things Dreamscape ......although I did and still do have a hard time getting into all of the Fifth Season... some good songs on there, but inconsistent compared to End of Silence......

I'm in the Claus camp in that Hubi's voice just fits this band perfectly and "Very" remains an all time classic and dear to my heart........ seeing them at Prog Power with Roland was awesome as well....... just a great band overall and a great bunch of guys through the years ........

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 pm

I too find it surprising that Hubi's voice just worked on Very. While the first album might be better in some ways, Very is the one that I have always enjoyed the most.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 pm
I too find it surprising that Hubi's voice just worked on Very. While the first album might be better in some ways, Very is the one that I have always enjoyed the most.
Agreed. “Trance-like Dreamstate” was really really strong for a DT-inspired debut, but “Very” was showcasing a band that had found themselves and a super smooth vocalist.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 pm

I do like "Everlight". Maybe not as good as some of the previous albums but very close.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks to you guys - I've played this once yesterday and twice today ............ not only does it bring me back to a better time musically ( for me ), it makes me realize how great this disc is and wonder why I don't play it more often. Consider it done. Note to self - will not neglect Dreamscape in the future.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 am

"Very" may be the most DT-clone of DT-clone albums, but it's also just a very enjoyable listen. I've heard some of the post-Hubi material, and it was fine, but it never clicked with me. It might simply be due to how my tastes of grown, or due to how much other good stuff there is to compete for attention than there was in '99. Regardless, Very is fun and worth a revisit.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 am

"Very" may be the most DT-clone of DT-clone albums, but it's also just a very enjoyable listen.
Nope. THIS is the most DT-clone of all clones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIdlP9BLD6I

Now, to be clear, I have no issue with clones if done well, and this is definitely done well. Tell me that first verse isn't 100% straight out of "Images and Words"
!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 am
"Very" may be the most DT-clone of DT-clone albums, but it's also just a very enjoyable listen.

Now, to be clear, I have no issue with clones if done well, and this is definitely done well. Tell me that first verse isn't 100% straight out of "Images and Words"
!
Where’s the “like” button when you need it?
Claus Jensen

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

!
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!! :P

Good god that album is terrible. I will never understand how anyone can listen to that singer without wanting to stab themselves in the ears. *shudder*

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:11 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:

!
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!! :P

Good god that album is terrible. I will never understand how anyone can listen to that singer without wanting to stab themselves in the ears. *shudder*
LOL

He was great in Time Machine though
Claus Jensen

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 am

I don't think I ever heard Time Machine, and if I did, I didn't like them. Now I know why. :P