New Sweet Oblivion tune...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Nos

Re: New Sweet Oblivion tune...

Post by Nos » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:25 pm

It's better than I thought it would be, but I don't have high hopes for the album. I actually thought the first one was pretty darn good, but since the working relationship fell apart, the new guy isn't as good a songwriter, and Tate is more involved in the process this time, I'm not holding out much hope.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:34 pm

The first one was serviceable for me at best. This was lifeless, disjointed and weak chorus. Geoff sounds okay. I still can't like anything he's done since Promised Land, and that's what, 25 years ago? He's still a top five alltime for me but it's obviously all for his early work.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:00 pm

That was not great, and I really liked the first album. The last thing Geoff needs to do is be MORE involved in the writing. Frankly, he shouldn't write a single lick, and should come in for session vocals at this point.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

ToddinMN

Post by ToddinMN » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 pm

I've been listening to Relentless for the past few days and it is actually quite good. A few really catchy songs that had me hitting the replay button over and over.

I know many people have soured on Geoff over the years, but IMHO he still has a really strong voice. It's not 1980's strong but he really knows how to work within his range. This was a really pleasant surprise for me.