Need - Norchestrion: A Song for the End...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Need - Norchestrion: A Song for the End...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Checked out a few songs from this new one. Good stuff. Man do I hear Fates Warning in spots with the vocals and music. I liked Orvam. I don't think I ever checked out Hegaiamas: A Song for Freedom. I'm interested in hearing more from the upcoming cd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CDH0gucGlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occyeIUpfA4

Random Axe

Re: Need - Norchestrion: A Song for the End...

Post by Random Axe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:07 pm

I absolutely love these guys and get to talk to them occasionally. This is the end of the trilogy they started with Orvam. That album was huge for me back in 2014 when it was released and remains a favorite of mine. This is going to be a mighty release and a great way to start off 2021.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:30 pm

The album is out now. Really good stuff. Better than the last one in my opinion. His voice definitely has some “Ray”-touches, so I can see why it would remind people of Fates Warning. But music is more dynamic in a Pain of Salvation / Tool kinda way.
Claus Jensen

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:23 pm

The last two are in my top ten of the past decade so this will be great to complete the trilogy. The last album was released the week before the 2016 election and now Norchestrion is being released around the current political climate. Love these guys!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 am

I am not a huge fan of Need..... I'm casual about them. I wouldn't have even given this a listen until someone here told me I needed ( pun intended ) to. This disc is absolutely fantastic. Not only a great way to start off the new year, but I now have cause to go back and dive into the trilogy and come back and possibly eat crow, which I'm willing to do if it happens. I will say that I tried Orvam so many times - and I just kept saying " it's good but " ......

This disc here is on another level. Imagine Ray Alder fronting the disc that Pain of Salvation should have made after The Perfect Element. Every time I listen to this disc, this is what I hear. It has those smooth Alder type vocals, and the raw, melodic aggression that PoS had back in the day ......a perfect combo imo.

When discs like this come out at the start of a year, that tend to get overlooked at the end of the year - not this one. I came to the party late, but its a hell of a party.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am

This disc is absolutely fantastic.
Alright who are you and what have you done with Larry?

FW #1. Liking Black Fate more than Conception? Now this? What's next? :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am
This disc is absolutely fantastic.
Alright who are you and what have you done with Larry?

FW #1. Liking Black Fate more than Conception? Now this? What's next? :P

****Yeah bro - I hear ya. I'm in a weird place right now ( and have been for some time ) and I think that either my tolerance level is easing up a bit, or I'm tired of the originals just not hitting me like they used to .......

When you have bands like Black Fate, Need, and others channeling our original favorite bands, to me its like starting all over again just fresher.........
Now, is there a band out there that will eventually fill the Dream Theater shoes ? That would be very interesting to see ........

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I finally received this from the band. Took well over a month but that's expected anymore.

It's no secret I love this band and these guys. Fantastic dudes for sure. All three albums I own have had a different feel.

Orvam felt more like a freestyle prog metal where some of the writing was done in studio improv. It has a really cool Fates FWX vibe, and the ethnic flavors inserted take it over the top.

Hegiamas was a calculated album to my ears where every note was carefully planned out, the opposite of Orvam. Both are successful albums but I think Orvam has an overall better sound. The epic closer is exactly that.

Nochestrion is an amalgamation of the above but with a really smooth production. The keys are beefed up in the and the guitar tone isn't quite as heavy or distorted but still FULL sounding. They are back to the great chorus melodies from Orvam but with some intricate musical compositions. I'm only through this once but yeah, I already know this is my likely no.1 for this year.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am

Random Axe wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 pm
I finally received this from the band. Took well over a month but that's expected anymore.

It's no secret I love this band and these guys. Fantastic dudes for sure. All three albums I own have had a different feel.

Orvam felt more like a freestyle prog metal where some of the writing was done in studio improv. It has a really cool Fates FWX vibe, and the ethnic flavors inserted take it over the top.

Hegiamas was a calculated album to my ears where every note was carefully planned out, the opposite of Orvam. Both are successful albums but I think Orvam has an overall better sound. The epic closer is exactly that.

Nochestrion is an amalgamation of the above but with a really smooth production. The keys are beefed up in the and the guitar tone isn't quite as heavy or distorted but still FULL sounding. They are back to the great chorus melodies from Orvam but with some intricate musical compositions. I'm only through this once but yeah, I already know this is my likely no.1 for this year.
Great write-up on the difference between the three "Song of..." albums. I really like Nochestrion, and it'll most likely be a top 20 or thereabouts.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm

This is the best thing I've heard this year ..... and this is coming from a non-fan. After I re-visit Orvam, maybe that will change completely. But as it stands, this is the best disc I've heard in 2021 ...... I am enamored it. Just the thought of the combination of Fates Warning and PoS makes it special to begin with ......musically, it is all what Random Axe said about it ..... but the emotional delivery of the Ray Alder-style singer puts this one right over the top for me ......just like the last Fates Warning did to me.

If nothing more is coming out of Fates, and I won't like anything forward from PoS, then this disc is the perfect bridge for both scenarios ........perfect.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:28 pm

Larry. Just listen to these. Put headphones on and absorb the vibe, the emotions. George's guitar style is a combo of Matheos and Marcel Coenen. The intricacies in there are so deep.

https://youtu.be/CM8kQRDtAXo

https://youtu.be/0dNiUMFpnoo

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:35 pm

And seeing and hearing these played live and experiencing maybe the tightest band I've ever seen on stage brought a whole new level of appreciation. Every member of this band is elite level. Getting to hang with them for a while just further solidified my love for them.

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 am

First slam dunk of the year! Really pleased with this disc.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.