LTE3!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

johnhead

LTE3!

Post by johnhead » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Not sure about all of you, but the Liquid Tension Experiment 3 news is monumental news for 2020 in my eyes.

I was that the infamous Chicago LET show 20something years ago where Jordan's rig broke and it became a strange night of jamming and seeing Charlie Benante join them. I saw them in London so I got the full show, but man what I wouldn't do for a new tour! Heck i'd pay for a live stream at this point.

JP Solo and the DT live in 2020, and LTE3 and DT15 in 2021 - good time to be a DT fan!

Hearing Aid Man

Re: LTE3!

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Sweet. Not many instrumentals keep my attention, but their first two sure do!

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:52 pm

Yeah my little brother told me this yesterday. I'm pretty interested in what they come up with.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:18 am

The 50 second clip they posted was sheer musical bliss. I played it for the fam, and even they were just like "WHOA".
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

johnhead

Post by johnhead » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:14 am

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Kez

Post by Kez » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:04 am

It's pretty damn good. I've missed these guys together.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm

I guess I've just drifted away from instrumental wankfests (I use the term lovingly), but I found myself mostly bored listening to this. There are some cool moments for sure, but there's nothing that makes me care at all. There's a lot of technicality, but not a lot of musicality.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm
I guess I've just drifted away from instrumental wankfests (I use the term lovingly), but I found myself mostly bored listening to this. There are some cool moments for sure, but there's nothing that makes me care at all. There's a lot of technicality, but not a lot of musicality.
I’m 110% on-board with that statement. This CD bored me half to sleep. I ended up having to turn it off three-quarters through unless I would have slammed my head into the desk.
Claus Jensen

johnhead

Post by johnhead » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:51 pm

I can't understand how you both can say this. This is some of the most musicality I have heard in a while. I have had this on repeat for days. It's so amazing.

To each their own, but many I can't say how wrong you both are enough. :)

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:06 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm
I’m 110% on-board with that statement. This CD bored me half to sleep. I ended up having to turn it off three-quarters through unless I would have slammed my head into the desk.

Its' funny that you said that because I think I read awhile back that LTE was formed to just see how far they could push their instruments and that it won't be for everyone as it was more of an experiment in jamming and that many would be bored of it...... I can't remember what member of the band said that, but I could have sworn I read it somewhere when reading an interview with the band years ago...

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:08 am

johnhead wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:51 pm
I can't understand how you both can say this. This is some of the most musicality I have heard in a while. I have had this on repeat for days. It's so amazing.

To each their own, but many I can't say how wrong you both are enough. :)

Yea I've learned that music is 100% subjective, kind of like abstract art.....Some will get it and absolutely love it, and some won't.....I guess that's what makes music so great :)

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 am

Its' funny that you said that because I think I read awhile back that LTE was formed to just see how far they could push their instruments and that it won't be for everyone as it was more of an experiment in jamming and that many would be bored of it...... I can't remember what member of the band said that, but I could have sworn I read it somewhere when reading an interview with the band years ago...
Ive yet to listen to the new one, but no question this was a core tenant of the band, and you can absolutely hear it in the compositions. I LOVE the songs that are more defined / written AS songs, but when they do the extended almost improvisational jam sections, they lose me. I expect this album to be 50/50 for me, but the 50% that is good will be GREAT.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:50 am

Same for me - I have not listened to the new one, but in all honesty I'm not that anxious to dive into it. I'd much rather listen to a John Petrucci solo disc than the LTE stuff, only because of the song factor versus the jam factor......

That said - I had the privilege of seeing LTE ( thanks to Ken Golden ) back in the Nearfest days, and I have to say that I was blown away by what I saw. Bands like this deserve to be seen live, and it comes across much better in a live setting. Of course, I jumped on LTE 1&2 immediately, but I rarely go back to them simply because I'd rather see bands like this play live than listen on disc. Morgibl comes to mind.

I will get to this disc eventually, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way as others. I'm really picky when it comes to instrumentals, and long jam sessions like this don't sit well with me ......

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:17 pm

I think composed song vs jam is a lot of it, yeah. Songs are good, jams completely lose me.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 pm

I don't think what some of the critics realize is that Tony Levin is 74 years old. That's right 74 years old!!! I mean, most people have arthritis in their hands by then, let alone being able to play with super sonic speed and coordination. I just feel like this gets overlooked..... The man is an absolute Beast!!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:00 am

In what it is an admittedly somewhat slow year, this might be the best album I've heard so far.... (Need's "Norchestration" being the other lone standout.) This album is considerably more dialed in and song focused than the first two. Both of those had a few true standout tracks, with a decent amount of filler, but this new one only has a couple of (short) songs that I would have omitted. Even the bonus disc of improv material is much more coherent than what was on the first releases.

Again, a bit of trimming could have probably gotten this down to a single disc, with no filler at all, but I'll take it. Really impressed with how well composed this album is, especially given how long since these guys have worked together.