Nos' 2020 In Review: Bests & Worsts

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Nos

Nos' 2020 In Review: Bests & Worsts

Post by Nos » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:08 pm

This year was unusual, that's for sure. Thankfully, there was still a lot of music being put out to keep things moving. The year wound up having a lot of solid records, but not a lot of great ones.

The Worst:

Green Day - Father Of All... (Half-assed music that sounds half-assed)
Poppy - I Disagree (Throwing shit together isn't clever if it doesn't make sense)
Six Feet Under - Nightmares Of The Decomposed (Just when you think they can't get worse)
UDO - We Are One (Udo's voice sucks, and sucks even worse without loud guitars to cover him up)
Witchcraft - Black Metal (Worthless 'acoustic' music that has zero songwriting)

The Disappointing:

Demons & Wizards - III (Who wanted them to try making some more classic rock stuff?)
Neal Morse - Solo Gratia (Neal's disappointing streak continues)
Serious Black - Suite 226 (One good album out of four. Why am I still disappointed?)
Sons Of Apollo - MMXX (They took all the good stuff from the debut.... and forgot it)
Sorcerer - Lamenting Of The Innocent (Good, but a far cry from their last record)

The Best:

Allen/Olzon - Worlds Apart (F'n glorious, except for the lack of them singing together!)
Amaranthe - Manifest (The best pop metal band out there)
Creeper - Sex, Death, & The Infinite Void (Wildly different, but also strangely captivating theatrical rock)
Harem Scarem - Change The World (Every bit as good as "United", which was awesome)
Lykantropi - Tales To Be Told (Best 'vintage' sounding record of the year. Gorgeous harmonies)
One Way North - To Light (A better Tremonti than Tremonti)
Serenity - The Last Knight (The first time I feel they've delivered a whole good album)
Sinner's Blood - The Mirror Dark (Really solid, good new singer - promising)
South Of Salem - The Sinner Takes All (Fun horror themed rock)
Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone (A very fitting album for 2020 - raw desperation through emo punk?)
Taylor Swift - Folklore (She does some of her best writing here to make me like indie rock)
Xtasy - Eye Of The Storm (I continue liking all Erik Martensson's outside work more than Eclipse)

Album Of The Year: Yours Truly - Self Care

This album lived up to its name, by virtue of the energy and tone of these songs being what I needed this year. The basis is pop/punk, but they expanded beyond that genre to something more expansive, and in doing so found an identity all their own. Even the claustrophobic mix fits in with the anxiety of the year. There isn't a record this year I enjoy listening to as much, nor one that simply feels like something that is going to be important down the line. This album is the warm hug of 2020's music.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Nos' 2020 In Review: Bests & Worsts

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:50 pm

I believe we have this board's first Taylor Swift callout. Wow.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Re: Nos' 2020 In Review: Bests & Worsts

Post by Nos » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:50 pm
I believe we have this board's first Taylor Swift callout. Wow.
What can I say? My tastes can be varied. :p