New stuff Friday ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

introclaus

Re: New stuff Friday ...

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:04 am

Mardoch wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:36 pm
New Earthside track! It's really good, like most of their stuff. They seem like a weird group with these hugely spaced out super high production value releases like this, but whatever I guess. I'm definitely still in for another album from them whenever that happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxrRwoRODmo
Looks like they just announced full length for November 17, 2023.

I enjoyed the debut, but I have a hard time with instrumental music ... I'll check out the release though when it's out, and we'll see :)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:07 am

One new release yesterday:

HAIL THE SUN - Divine Inner Tension
Last couple of Hail the Sun albums have made it up to the top ten of my annual lists, so I've got no less expectations of this one. Especially since all 4 pre-release singles were incredible. I'm through listening to the album the first 4-5 times now, but need many (!) more listens. So far, it's killer progressive post-hardcore (swancore).

Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm

Kinda surprised no one's talked about Nuclear Power Trio here. Wet Ass Plutonium is a pretty damn good metal fusion disk...

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:26 pm

jhallum wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm
Kinda surprised no one's talked about Nuclear Power Trio here. Wet Ass Plutonium is a pretty damn good metal fusion disk...
oh, hell yeah it is! The shtick kinda wore off, but the music is ridiculously good.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:58 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:26 pm
jhallum wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm
oh, hell yeah it is! The shtick kinda wore off, but the music is ridiculously good.
I’ll give it a listen - I enjoyed the EP as a novelty item but my endurance for instrumental music is very low. These guys do know how to play though.
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:51 am

New Theocracy song from album Mosaic coming out 10/13/23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umfhGhH-ws

I rushed to listen but was a little underwhelmed. It's not bad. Guess I just expected more.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 am

In my opinion there are idiots on both sides and no one is perfect. Sometimes the idea of limiting our politics in this country to only two sides seem so assbackwards to me … if the purpose is to give the majority a voice, why settle for 51% and not try to make a broader coalition of multiple viewpoints? Anyway, I’ve seen how that ain’t always a great thing either, so who am I to argue…
This will be an easy blind buy for me once it releases, without hearing anything in advance. I don't think anything has topped the debut for me, but there's always a few stellar tracks on each release.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:43 am

The new Orbit Culture is out and it's dense and heavy as hell. It does get a bit samey, but if your goal is to get melted by a wall of heavy riffs for 48.5 minutes, this'll do the trick.

https://orbitculture.bandcamp.com/album/descent

The new Hemina also came out earlier this week. If you've been a fan for a while you're getting exactly what you expect: Prog Metal that's dripping in synths. It's a good album fronted by a 35 minute epic.
https://hemina.bandcamp.com/album/romancing-the-ether

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:08 pm

Some recent tracks I have enjoyed.

Trevor Rabin - Big Mistakes
Far better than anything Yes have released in recent years.

Karmanjakah - Flying
I simply love this band!

Silent Skies - Churches
Tom Englund from Evergrey and Vikram Shankar. So emotional. And I had the chance to do my best artwork ever for this release. Such a fantastic album. I love every second of it.

Greta van fleet - Meeting the master
This is a band I like more and more. This is a great track

Lalu - Is that a london number?
Another one I had the chance to do artwork for. Damian Wilson singing the phone book. Hilarious. Love it.

Tesseract - The grey
My favourite fands from recent years, Didn't care that much about the previous album, but this sound promising.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Norén wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:08 pm

Karmanjakah - Flying
I simply love this band!
I’ve tried this band the other couple of times you’ve posted about them, and this is the first time I’m actually impressed.
I’ll check out the new album (EP????)…
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 am

introclaus wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 pm
Norén wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:08 pm

Karmanjakah - Flying
I simply love this band!
I’ve tried this band the other couple of times you’ve posted about them, and this is the first time I’m actually impressed.
I’ll check out the new album (EP????)…
Yes this one is an EP.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:57 pm

VANDENBERG - Sin
Wonderful “comeback” after the dreadful 2020 album… glad he got rid of Ronnie you-know-who-the-dude-that’s-in-every-band Romero, who didn’t work well here. Mats Leven is one of my favorite vocalists and he sounds amazing here. Material is old school classic hard rock the way I like it.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:34 am

New Spiritbox single is relatively laid back and generally very good. They've not yet missed for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjnZVpVvJ-k

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:06 pm

New Unprocessed is kinda weird, but I like it. I'm pretty onboard with whatever these folks decide to go with at this point, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z3AMUSDDF8

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:44 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:06 pm
New Unprocessed is kinda weird, but I like it. I'm pretty onboard with whatever these folks decide to go with at this point, I think.
It's awesome ... very good. Love this band.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:26 am

Lots of new music this Friday;

ALKALOID - Numen
Very disappointing ... given the band members pedigree I'd expected more. I was on the fence with their previous disc already, as it was too "groovy" and not enough "tech death". Same thing can be said here, and on top of that, the melodies are just boring and bland. Great musicianship, but this does very little for me.

(this song reminds me of Morbid Angel's "Where the slime lives" for some reason)

TO THE GRAVE - Offcuts
I really love their full length from earlier in the year, so excited to check out this EP, even if it's (as title suggests) left over tunes from the full length release.

TESSERACT - War of Being
This is Tesseract doing what only they can ... progressive modern metal with a djent backbone and lots of melodies. So darn good.

MOLYBARON - Something Ominous
I was trying to describe this to someone who isn't into prog metal, and came up with a mixture between System of a Down and Mastodon. That said, it's really so much more - from Metallica to Tool. Prog metal gone off in a new direction.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:51 pm

That Molybaron is very good. I'm definitely looking into those folks more.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:51 pm
I enjoyed the heck out of their last one, but this one is even better.
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:18 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:26 am
Lots of new music this Friday;
I liked parts of the previous Alkaloid album. The new one didn't hit me at all.

Tesseract has been my fav band in recent years, but I didn't really like the previous one (Sonder). Now they are back in form. So many fantastic moments on this album. It's really just the opening track that fails to impress me.

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:38 am

introclaus wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:07 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:51 pm
I enjoyed the heck out of their last one, but this one is even better.
Got my first listen out of the way finally yesterday, and yeah, it's brilliant. Also working on the new Southern Empire, I like it so far after one listen.

The listening project this week is the new Tomb Mold:

https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/the-enduring-spirit

Vocally Death Metal, but the music is interesting.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 am

Norén wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:18 pm
Tesseract has been my fav band in recent years, but I didn't really like the previous one (Sonder). Now they are back in form. So many fantastic moments on this album. It's really just the opening track that fails to impress me.
It seems a fair number of people felt this way for whatever reason. Sonder didn't really land for me, but War of Being is killer from start to finish imo.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 am
Norén wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:18 pm
It seems a fair number of people felt this way for whatever reason. Sonder didn't really land for me, but War of Being is killer from start to finish imo.
Agreed with you both - "Sonder" was a snorefest. "War of Being" is killer.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:13 pm

jhallum wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:38 am
The listening project this week is the new Tomb Mold:
https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/the-enduring-spirit
Vocally Death Metal, but the music is interesting.
There's a lot of Death (does that count as "DEATH metal"? :)), Cynic and Atheist in it, so it's definitely more of a back-to-the-roots tech/prog feel than either modern day extreme prog, or the old school of DM. I like it, especially the real pounding drum sound and the great guitar work. I would probably have preferred a more "melodic" kind of vocals, and perhaps pushed the bass further up front, but overall it's quite good for the genre. Within this "classic version" of the prog/tech death genre, it's VoidCeremony and Contrarian that takes the win in 2023.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:24 pm

I was on vacation last week and then came home to a flu or COVID (haven't had any non-expired tests available, so not sure... either way, felt like crap!!!), so have not had time nor energy to post the latest releases.

SUBSIGNAL - A Poetry of Rain
Yeah, I was one of those who disliked the previous release, so it's great to hear these guys go back to what I like to hear from them. Progressive hard rock done right.

MERCENARY - Soundtrack for the End Times
I can safely say that this is their best album since "Architect of Lies" which is 15 (!!!) years ago. Great comeback guys!

HEXVESSEL - Polar Veil
Once I got past the shock of this sounding more like a "black metal" release than a "retro hard rock" release, I have started enjoying it for what it is. That said, I doubt it'll have as much of an impact on me as their last two albums did.
Last edited by introclaus on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:10 pm

ANGELUS APATRIDA - Aftermath
The previous two albums from this Spanish thrash metal were quite good, with their 2018 "Cabaret de la Guillotine" even making it to #47 on my year-end list. With their new album, their eight album since 2006, "Aftermath", they've created another pure old school thrash metal disc, not too far removed from old classic Testament, Exodus and even a hint of Slayer, but with a very up-to-date style production giving it a touch of "modern metal" as well. Great stuff!

WITHIN TEMPTATION - Bleed Out
I'm a fanboy - I love Sharon's voice, love the songwriting, love the bombastic over-the-top production, melodies are huge and memorable, and even the fact that the band have become so "commercial" in sound and approach is just another layer of icing on an already great cake. Larry can go ahead and tell us how much he hates it, and how this isn't "his Within Temptation" ... I don't care, I love it.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 am

WITHIN TEMPTATION - Bleed Out
I'm a fanboy - I love Sharon's voice, love the songwriting, love the bombastic over-the-top production, melodies are huge and memorable, and even the fact that the band have become so "commercial" in sound and approach is just another layer of icing on an already great cake. Larry can go ahead and tell us how much he hates it, and how this isn't "his Within Temptation" ... I don't care, I love it.

****Well, I won't tell you how much I hate it, but I will tell you that I don't like it ......your tolerance for poppiness is duly noted, and I'm sure this is why you have been able to withstand some of the changes bands have made over the years to a more poppy direction (Circus Maximus for instance) .....

That said - this is a very poppy, electronica-laced band now ....and I'm sure they will likely alienate some fans and gain as many ...... I too love Sharon's voice to no end.... but when you start filtering, processing, and adding electronica to that beautiful voice, it's time to move along for this guy. We have seen this coming, so it's no surprise the direction they have chosen, it's been coming for the past two discs or so. The Unforgiving was probably the last disc I loved, which each one after getting less and less of my attention - the Let it Burn bluray was probably the finale for me .... ending an era. With the departure of Robert way back when, I think the direction started to shift with each release.....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:30 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 am
****Well, I won't tell you how much I hate it, but I will tell you that I don't like it ......your tolerance for poppiness is duly noted, and I'm sure this is why you have been able to withstand some of the changes bands have made over the years to a more poppy direction (Circus Maximus for instance) .....
We can have this conversation again in January, and I'll point out your double-standards, once you're swooning all over the new MYRATH, which does exactly that (becomes their most commercially aimed release, going into a VERY poppy direction) :)

LarryD wrote:
That said - this is a very poppy, electronica-laced band now ....and I'm sure they will likely alienate some fans and gain as many ...... I too love Sharon's voice to no end.... but when you start filtering, processing, and adding electronica to that beautiful voice, it's time to move along for this guy. We have seen this coming, so it's no surprise the direction they have chosen, it's been coming for the past two discs or so. The Unforgiving was probably the last disc I loved, which each one after getting less and less of my attention - the Let it Burn bluray was probably the finale for me .... ending an era.
Fair enough - although I don't hear near as much electronica in this as you do. I hear a band that went more "symphonic" and "orchestral", but also are pulling in influences from modern-day metal genres (not just gothic metal and doom metal anymore).

LarryD wrote:
With the departure of Robert way back when, I think the direction started to shift with each release.....
This one doesn't make sense. Robert still writes all the material with Sharon and Daniel Gibson, he just doesn't perform live (since him and Sharon can't leave the kids home completely alone haha).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:29 am

We can have this conversation again in January, and I'll point out your double-standards, once you're swooning all over the new MYRATH, which does exactly that (becomes their most commercially aimed release, going into a VERY poppy direction) :)

****Don't worry - we won't be having that conversation about Myrath. :wink:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:02 am

SORCERER - Reign of the Reaper
After the previous album being quite a disappointment, this one is a step up. It's not perfect, but it is hinting more at what great potential this band has. Also, it still is "doom metal for people who actually don't like the genre" ... a lot of it sounds like straight off of the Tony Martin era Black Sabbath albums, more so than any Candlemass albums.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:20 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:02 am
SORCERER - Reign of the Reaper
After the previous album being quite a disappointment, this one is a step up. It's not perfect, but it is hinting more at what great potential this band has. Also, it still is "doom metal for people who actually don't like the genre" ... a lot of it sounds like straight off of the Tony Martin era Black Sabbath albums, more so than any Candlemass albums.
My first listen was 'better than the last Candlemass' to be fair,

Loving the new Theocracy from a few weeks back, and the new Serenity is a return to form for them, but the interesting album this week is Wayfarer -- American Gothic. Whereas Zeal and Ardor infuses soul and black metal, I think Wayfarer is going for a different American genre, Western. It works better than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qGDuElSobk

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:36 am

Speaking of doom, man I really miss old Solitude Aeturnus. I remember when "into the depths of sorrow" came out. Damn what a great record. Incredibly depressing, but hey it's doom so it suppose to be. Also a fan of "Through the Depths of sorrow" and "Beyond the Crimson Horizon..... The song "It came upon one night" is so magically depressing.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm

Not necessarily released this Friday, but stuff I just picked up:

New Allegaeon single. Solid as always. Looking forward to a new album when they put it out even though we already got a great one last year.
https://allegaeon.bandcamp.com/track/inhumation

New Pollen single is kinda...weird with the keys intro, but overall really nice proggy wankery.
https://pollenband.bandcamp.com/track/wisteria

The lead single from the new Plini, Ember, is up, and it's pretty fantastic. I still find no fault in basically everything he's done.
https://plini.bandcamp.com/album/mirage

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:11 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm
New Allegaeon single. Solid as always. Looking forward to a new album when they put it out even though we already got a great one last year.
https://allegaeon.bandcamp.com/track/inhumation
This one just didn't do anything for me. They've got their old singer back in the band (Ezra) and he just isn't as good as the one they had on the last 3 albums (Riley). Also, I feel they've gotten even more into the groove-areas of their sound than the melodic ones. Groove and tech-death doesn't mix that well in my opinion (see similar comment on the last Alkaloid)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:16 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm
New Pollen single is kinda...weird with the keys intro, but overall really nice proggy wankery.
https://pollenband.bandcamp.com/track/wisteria

The lead single from the new Plini, Ember, is up, and it's pretty fantastic. I still find no fault in basically everything he's done.
https://plini.bandcamp.com/album/mirage
I can respect what they are doing, but instrumental music and me ... ehmmm ... no ....
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:59 am

Another Friday another new Pollen and Plini track. I love both. Tosin's solo in Plini's track is really great.

Plini - Still Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iKzZ7FeZuE

Pollen - Glutamate
https://pollenband.bandcamp.com/track/glutamate

And also a new Caligula's Horse, which is in many ways "more of the same", but I love what they're doing so I'm here for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPWqa1LJdrU