New stuff Friday ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Re: New stuff Friday ...

Post by Mardoch » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 am

I don't always have an interest in instrumental stuff, but I'll always pick up whatever Intervals is doing. This album will be fantastic if the singles are any kind of indication.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 am

Mardoch wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 am
I don't always have an interest in instrumental stuff, but I'll always pick up whatever Intervals is doing. This album will be fantastic if the singles are any kind of indication.
But where are the vocals? ;)
You know, musically it's solid, but damn ... add some vocals and it would be killer.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 am

SETYØURSAILS - Bad Blood
Melodic metalcore with female vocals. Spiritbox meets Evanescence? It's very melodic and quite cheesy, but some of the songs are quite killer, especially "Eternally" and "Bad Company".

EIDOLA - Eviscerate
I've only gone through it once so far, but I was quite disappointed. They've changed a bit since their last album, which actually was first time I really liked a full album of theirs (thanks Mr. Noren!), and have left the "swancore" style behind for most of the album. I am all for progress and trying out new things, but unfortunately they've lost some of their sound and are more generic modern prog-metal this time around. I need to listen more ...

IMMINENCE - The Black
Same as with Eidola, this one was disappointing on first spin. I loved the singles, but overall the album was underwhelming. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood for it, but for a band like this that balances between melodic metalcore and some semi-prog/semi-dark elements, it's dangerous removing their one main element (the violin!!!) from their songs ... sure, it's still there, but not nearly as prominent as on their last album(s). Again, I need to listen more ...

VULTURE - Sentinels
I loved "Dealin' Death" from 2021, and this one is no slouch either. It's speed/thrash metal somewhere between Agent Steel, Hallow's Eve, Accept and Exodus. Simple, basic, true to the genre classics ...
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 am
SETYØURSAILS - Bad Blood
Melodic metalcore with female vocals. Spiritbox meets Evanescence? It's very melodic and quite cheesy, but some of the songs are quite killer, especially "Eternally" and "Bad Company".

EIDOLA - Eviscerate
I've only gone through it once so far, but I was quite disappointed. They've changed a bit since their last album, which actually was first time I really liked a full album of theirs (thanks Mr. Noren!), and have left the "swancore" style behind for most of the album. I am all for progress and trying out new things, but unfortunately they've lost some of their sound and are more generic modern prog-metal this time around. I need to listen more ...

IMMINENCE - The Black
Same as with Eidola, this one was disappointing on first spin. I loved the singles, but overall the album was underwhelming. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood for it, but for a band like this that balances between melodic metalcore and some semi-prog/semi-dark elements, it's dangerous removing their one main element (the violin!!!) from their songs ... sure, it's still there, but not nearly as prominent as on their last album(s). Again, I need to listen more ...

VULTURE - Sentinels
I loved "Dealin' Death" from 2021, and this one is no slouch either. It's speed/thrash metal somewhere between Agent Steel, Hallow's Eve, Accept and Exodus. Simple, basic, true to the genre classics ...

****OMG you're in a mood today ........ :lol:

Norén

Post by Norén » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

introclaus wrote:

EIDOLA - Eviscerate
Yes they have lost me here ... this is just ... angry. Not my cup of tea.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

I ordered the new Vanden Plas and For All We Know today ..... I'm happy.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 am

Norén wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm
introclaus wrote:

EIDOLA - Eviscerate
Yes they have lost me here ... this is just ... angry. Not my cup of tea.
Yup, not very good at all.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 am

LarryD wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm
I ordered the new Vanden Plas and For All We Know today ..... I'm happy.
Haven't heard Vanden Plas' new one yet, but For All We Know might be something you'd like. It's "okay", but probably not my style nearly as much as it is yours.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am

QUANTUM - Down the Mountainside
Remember we talked about Swedish band Quantum and their EP "The Next Breath of Air" back in 2020? Here's the thread: https://www.pmrising.com/pm/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11473

Today they are releasing their debut full length album, and it's really impressive. Prog rock/metal with huge melodies. Check it out!!!

Those of you who enjoyed last years Avkrvst should find lots to like here as well ... there are hints of modern Opeth, hints of Haken, hints of classic prog rock, a bit of Dream Theater, and a cinematic feel to all of it.

Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

Without getting too much into details yet, my #1 and #2 albums of the year so far, were both released today. One of them I've had for several months (MDB) and one of them (BE) I had only heard the two pre-release singles.

MY DYING BRIDE - A Mortal Binding
This is, thus far, my album of the year. I've listened to it a billion times (or at least 50) over the past months and I can't state how much I love it. The doom metal gods are truly smiling down on us with this one.

BLAZING ETERNITY - A Certain End of Everything
Doom, melodic black, gothic ... all of it is here, and it's phenomenal. The two first singles were incredible, and now through the full album a few times, I'm just in awe of how "perfect" this is. I love this. Something seriously tremendous will have to come out to be able to wrestle this out of top 3 for me in 2024.
Last edited by introclaus on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am

I have yet to listen to My Dying Bride and Blazing Eternity, and thanks for mentioning Quantum, I will check them out as well. I saw Quantum name before, but the impression was not strong enough to trigger its addition to my "listen to" list.

My take on a few new releases:

Vanden Plas - The Empyrean Equation of the Long Lost Things. I liked everything from The God Thing to Seraphic Clockwork and then my enthusiasm faded a bit for the later albums. The new one is promising. It is still classical Vanden Plas, but to me it has more power and drive than their albums of the last 10 years.

Turbulence - Binary Dream. Pretty good, even if a bit derivative, prog metal in the style of Haken/Caligula's Horse.

Mind's Mirrors - Forever is not Nearly Enough. Progressive power/thrash in the style of Control Denied and Nevermore, with Allan Tecchio on vocals. Maybe not a Top 10 contender, but a nice album to listen to.

Night Verses - Every Sound Has a Color in the Valley of Night. There are only a few instrumental albums that I truly like, it's all Polyphia and Marty Friedman's "Scenes" and maybe that's about it. However, Night Verses could well be an addition to this short list, just I need a bit longer time test. Multilayered prog metal with a lot of dynamics, atmosphere, and melody.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:56 am

giedrius wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am
Mind's Mirrors - Forever is not Nearly Enough. Progressive power/thrash in the style of Control Denied and Nevermore, with Allan Tecchio on vocals. Maybe not a Top 10 contender, but a nice album to listen to.
Wow !!!! Great find - I always loved Alan Tecchio's voice, so this will be interesting. I see they've got some damn impressive guests as well (Christian Munzer, Ron Jarzombek, Steve Smyth and Michael Romeo).

https://mindsmirrors.bandcamp.com/album ... ong-enough
Claus Jensen

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm

last week's the gift that keeps giving
Bend Sinister - Mostly Great Things

This week
In Vain - Solemn
Local Natives - But I'll Wait for You

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 am

AllMediaReviews wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm
Bend Sinister - Mostly Great Things
Local Natives - But I'll Wait for You
These two are too "indie-rock" for my taste. I appreciate their craft (especially the soft vocals on Local Natives are nice), but it's just not for me.
AllMediaReviews wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 pm
In Vain - Solemn
This one is surprisingly good. I always thought of them as a second rate Amorphis, but "Solemn" is darker, more technical, and the balance between cleans and growls is nice. I'll need more time to get into it, but it's way better than I remember them from back in the day.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am

SEEYOUSPACECOWBOY - Coup de Grace
Mardoch, this one might interest you ... this is post-hardcore with a proggy edge, a bit of screamo, a bit of emo, lots of musical/cabaret/swing style influences, and while this sounds like it's all over the place, it actually ends up being quite a fun listen. Basically, imagine if Dance Gavin Dance, Iwrestledabearonce, Hail the Sun and My Chemical Romance all got tangled together, and it would sound a bit like this I guess. I never heard these guys/girl before, but I saw an interesting review and decided to check it out, and I'm really finding this cool.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:06 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:13 am
SEEYOUSPACECOWBOY - Coup de Grace
Mardoch, this one might interest you ... this is post-hardcore with a proggy edge, a bit of screamo, a bit of emo, lots of musical/cabaret/swing style influences, and while this sounds like it's all over the place, it actually ends up being quite a fun listen. Basically, imagine if Dance Gavin Dance, Iwrestledabearonce, Hail the Sun and My Chemical Romance all got tangled together, and it would sound a bit like this I guess. I never heard these guys/girl before, but I saw an interesting review and decided to check it out, and I'm really finding this cool.
Oh that's very interesting, indeed. Her clean vocals up front were fantastic. There's definitely a lot going on and they go right up to the edge of too much, but not quite over it.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:11 pm

This past weekend was all about Vanden Plas, My Dying Bride, and Blazing Eternity on repeat for me. I also tried Bend Sinister (but it's not quite my cup of tea), the new Pearl Jam album (didn't really like it too much), and Dvne "Voidkind" (sounds like a quality Mastodon/Tool kind of band).

The Blazing Eternity album has a very warm, melancholic, and moody feel and sounds very fluent, and this kind of doom/gothic metal albums are not too frequently encountered. I actually looked at my few cassette boxes and found out that I still have their 1998 demo. I also remember seeing them live with Borknagar at some very small club in Aalborg back in 1999 or 2000.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 pm

giedrius wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:11 pm
The Blazing Eternity album has a very warm, melancholic, and moody feel and sounds very fluent, and this kind of doom/gothic metal albums are not too frequently encountered. I actually looked at my few cassette boxes and found out that I still have their 1998 demo. I also remember seeing them live with Borknagar at some very small club in Aalborg back in 1999 or 2000.
The 1998 demo ("Der Hviler en Nat Under Sorte Vinterbøge") was pretty much a step towards the debut album ... it still had some of the "aggression" and "black metal" angst from the first demo ("Over Sorte Heder") but also embraced the goth and the doom to larger extent. All three songs made it unto the debut album, but all of them sounds more mature on the debut and less grim.

I saw them a ton of times back in the day (obviously, as their manager), and we also did a Euro tour together. They were a great live band, and some of the recent videos I've seen are really great as well - they doesn't seem to have lost any of their "energy" over the years.

Yes, the album is very warm and moody. It ends up in that territory between Swallow the Sun, Katatonia, Saturnus, Fields of Nephilim and perhaps a hint of black here and there. I can't stop listening to it. It's just amazing.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 pm

New self-titled Crownshift. Folks from Wintersun, CoB, Nightwish, Finntroll getting together for a modern metal album with some nice proggy influences. Devin-ish vocals in terms of growls as they are definitely aiming for an alternating SYL or Devin Townsend vibe depending on the track.

Still pretty good in spite of the derivative nature of the influences.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri May 10, 2024 7:55 pm

jhallum wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 pm
New self-titled Crownshift. Folks from Wintersun, CoB, Nightwish, Finntroll getting together for a modern metal album with some nice proggy influences. Devin-ish vocals in terms of growls as they are definitely aiming for an alternating SYL or Devin Townsend vibe depending on the track.

Still pretty good in spite of the derivative nature of the influences.
I listened to it earlier today and I hated it - then again, I really don’t like Strapping Young Lad and/or most of Devin’s so stuff.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 pm

RIOT V - Mean Streets
The first Riot release I really thoroughly enjoy after the addition of the "V" to their name. Even though I'm far from being a fan of Todd Michael Hall, he actually does a nice job here, yet there's still something about his voice I just can't get into. Musically this (besides perhaps one or two klunkers) sounds like what I'd like from a Riot release here in 2024.

LIKE MOTHS TO FLAMES - The Cycles of Trying to Cope
Progressive metalcore, somewhere in the vein of Polaris, Architects etc, but perhaps a tad darker. Really good stuff. This album hits all the feels.

I also checked out the new IVANHOE but it just wasn't any good.
Claus Jensen