New stuff Friday ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

jhallum

Re: New stuff Friday ...

Post by jhallum » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:59 pm

The Otolith -- Folium Limina

Single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fskibAwbEcs Sing No Coda

Folky, Doomy, fuzzy. Might actually be better placed as a heavy English prog/folk album in many ways, but the dueling electric violins make this album sing. This was formed by 5/6 of the now defunct SubRosa, minus the old singer. While she was the voice of the band in more ways than one, this picks up where the old SubRosa left off, maybe even surpasses the last one in some ways.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:23 pm

AVANTASIA - A Paranormal Evening with the Moonflower Society
Well, it's Avantasia. You've got Kiske, Martin, Atkins, Scheepers, Jansen, Catley, Lande, Tate ... what more do you want? Perhaps some better songs? Perhaps less of Sammet? It's not bad, but it's not one of the best Avantasia albums either.
https://youtu.be/dj50YIwoFLc

Totally agree with you. The first 2 Avantasia albums blew my socks off, and I haven't felt that way since those first 2, although there have been some great songs here and then on other releases. But this new release just seemed less inspired and less creative when it came to songs. Much less memorable songs....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:44 am

Way too much stuff crammed into one day, but here goes ...

Albums:

LORNA SHORE - Pain Remains
Okay, so this one I actually purchased Thursday, and it's already been out for a week or two. I just couldn't sit through all the hype and not giving it a shot. Very very very good - blows away all my prejudices about the band. Symphonic, over-the-top, tech/prog deathcore with lots of black metal elements, and the most insane vocals I've ever heard in my 5 decades of being alive.
https://youtu.be/JglOS8TRFp4

OBSIDIOUS - Iconic
Only one full play through this so far, but it's wonderfully crafted melo-death meets prog-death. Think Trivium meets Obscura.
https://youtu.be/ckzl1fLEczE

T.H.E.M. - Fear City
Played it three times and I don't see myself going back to this much. It's a bit of a let-down to be honest. I love all their previous discs, and this one is not bad at all, but it's just not what I hoped for. The "uniqueness" has kind of disappeared, and they no longer sound like a King Diamond tribute but instead like a standard power/metal band. I loved that they had so much King Diamond to their sound in the past, but it's pretty much gone by now.
https://youtu.be/J5qkxlx7i6A

JOHN NORUM - Gone to Stay
I don't know what I was expecting ... most of John's solo albums have been slightly boring with the exception of the first two (Total Control, 1987 and Face the Truth, 1992), but somehow I keep investing time and money in his releases. I think the fact that he is very smart in how he chooses which singles to put out first plays in here, because the first single "Sail On" is brilliant! Super cool classic rock throwback with a thick Led Zep meets Purple vibe. Unfortunately not all of the album reaches the same potential. There are a bunch of good-to-great tunes here, but nothing as amazing as that one song, and while there's no denying what a fantastic guitarist John is, I think it's safe to say that I'm waiting impatiently for another Europe album.
https://youtu.be/yaLH6TtOXas

POLYPHIA - Remember that You Will Die
This has very little to do with metal, but it's so well-done I can't help loving it. These 4 kids (ok, mid-to-end twenties) are just amazing, and they've clearly already carved their name into the history books of progressive music.
https://youtu.be/DOqLwO_7WaI

Singles:

IN THE WOODS - The Malevolent God
Second single from upcoming album "Diversum" and this is far from what I had hoped. It's just one of those songs that "are there" .. nothing special, nothing memorable, and it lacks all the passion and uniqueness that this band had back in the day. I truly enjoyed the last two albums (most original fans seem to hate them, and some even chooses to not recognize them as In The Woods albums) and had hoped for something more here. I need to spend more time with it, but first impression was quite negative.
https://youtu.be/Z1tICiRwGxU

KATATONIA - Atrium
Yes! This is what I wanted! 'nuff said.
https://youtu.be/BB24-hVZ88k

----------

Major Complaint by the way - why on earth are there so many record labels that offer albums on digital media (iTunes, etc.) but can't figure out that when you buy the singles, you still want all of it bundled as one album? For both OBSIDIOUS and JOHN NORUM I had pre-ordered and bought the singles along the way, only to realize that the songs that had come out along the way before release were "cut out" from the download. That's not cool. Now the flow of the album is gone, and it's shorter than it should be, forcing me to mess around in my iTunes library to find the remaining songs. Just go ahead and charge me those extra $0.99 per song if that's what this is all about. Ugh!
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:31 am

Host - Tomorrow's Sky
https://youtu.be/pActIe_Ca0k

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:08 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:31 am
Host - Tomorrow's Sky
https://youtu.be/pActIe_Ca0k
I wanted so bad to like this as I adore Paradise Lost and have since I first time heard them (a flexi-disc with them and Autopsy each having one song featured lol). But “Host” (and the following “Reverse in Nothing”) was the sore spot(s) on their discography for me. This new song is obviously going for that electronic early Depeche Mode sound and it’s just not what I wanted from these guys.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:14 pm

ROYAL HUNT - Dystopia Part Two
Very much like the previous album with few changes/adjustments but overall very similar. Production is a bit better (I didn’t like it on the last album), the songwriting very solid (15 minute epic “screams of anger” is one of the best RH compositions in recent years) and the singers (Boals, Brockman, Leven etc) sounds great … well, except DC, who once again sounds “old”. It might be about time for him to retire? That said, I like this even more than “Part One”, and as a true RH-whore I’m obviously loving this album.
https://youtu.be/2LLH21U-HC8 (full album stream)
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:11 am

ROYAL HUNT - Dystopia Part Two
Very much like the previous album with few changes/adjustments but overall very similar. Production is a bit better (I didn’t like it on the last album), the songwriting very solid (15 minute epic “screams of anger” is one of the best RH compositions in recent years) and the singers (Boals, Brockman, Leven etc) sounds great … well, except DC, who once again sounds “old”. It might be about time for him to retire? That said, I like this even more than “Part One”, and as a true RH-whore I’m obviously loving this album.
Didn't even know this was coming, let alone OUT ALREADY. Ordered up right away.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:05 am

VOIVOD - Ultraman (EP)
What a load of ... crap? Apparently this was written for some animation movie, but it's absolutely horrible. I LOVE this band so much, but wow .. I'm at a loss for words. At least there are two great live tracks tagged onto this release, so there's that.
https://youtu.be/Uv5qC_jYSNA

ARENA - The Theory of Molecular Inheritance
It took way too long for this to finally appear on iTunes (I think it was released on CD 2 or 3 weeks ago), but finally it's here and I've now listened to it from start to finish 6-7 times, and I'm stunned about how good this is. My expectations were high due to always enjoying the band tremendously and the fact that they now have Damien Wilson on vocals, but I never expected it to be this good. I honestly will put this in their top 3 releases of all time, and that's saying a lot - it might even push up further. It is a darker album than what we normally get from them, and in that sense it reminds me the most of their "Contagion" album, but as Larry has kept telling me, there's less guitar here than we're used to. Well, less "angry" guitar at least. It's like John Mitchell took a step back to let the music breathe more, and put Damien up front and center, and then when John unleashes his solos ... BAM!!! (check out "Life Goes On" - that solo ... omg!) Nolan's keyboards are subtle, but yet everywhere, adding more than just a blank canvas for Damien's voice, and it works. I know Larry will come here and explain to us how this sounds like Headspace, but either I haven't listened/cared enough about that project to recognize the similarities or it's just because it doesn't sound like most other Arena releases that the old man is grasping at straws to conjure up some comparison with something he knows ;) Well, no time for writing more - back to listening to this amazing album.
https://youtu.be/1aXLaWeLZZ8
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:02 pm

Tommy Johansson 'Empty Rooms' (Gary Moore cover)
https://youtu.be/5qkQwnJdgpo
Stunning, I was almost in tears watching this, GM spirit lives on :D

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:33 am

THEORY - Obsidian Haze
In 2017 Danish progressive metal band Theory's debut album "The Art of Evil" made it to #33 on my top list of the year - quite impressive for a new band in a genre full of bands all sounding the same. Well, 5 years later they follow it up with the all-important sophomore disc, the "make it or break it" album. So, the question is if "Obsidian Haze" meets the expectations or not ... well, the jury is still out on that to be honest, as I've only been through the album twice so far, and I've not gotten into the songs enough yet to where I can say if it's better or not than the debut. What I will say is that it's still the exact same kind of music, which is a mixture between Symphony X and Beyond Twilight, with a singer who has a great voice for the genre, although he sometimes sounds to be going too much for the "Angry Russ" style that Russell Allen have used on most of the SymX releases in this decade. Production-wise it's quite okay, it's supposed to sound really thick and heavy, and it accomplishes that, but at the same time it's also pretty obvious that it's not a big time million-dollar production. Considering that vocalist Niklas Sonne (Defecto, Malrun, Evil Masquerade, Wasted, etc.) has his own studio, I'm sure that's where they've recorded this, and it honestly is a very good sound for a independent release. This album has a lot of crunch and heaviness to it, and those who love that in their prog metal (as mentioned Symphony X, Beyond Twilight, parts of Dream Theater, Adagio, and DGM would be the best comparisons) should be in for a treat.
https://youtu.be/J0_nVRUovi8
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:03 pm

It took way too long for this to finally appear on iTunes (I think it was released on CD 2 or 3 weeks ago), but finally it's here and I've now listened to it from start to finish 6-7 times, and I'm stunned about how good this is. My expectations were high due to always enjoying the band tremendously and the fact that they now have Damien Wilson on vocals, but I never expected it to be this good. I honestly will put this in their top 3 releases of all time, and that's saying a lot - it might even push up further. It is a darker album than what we normally get from them, and in that sense it reminds me the most of their "Contagion" album, but as Larry has kept telling me, there's less guitar here than we're used to. Well, less "angry" guitar at least. It's like John Mitchell took a step back to let the music breathe more, and put Damien up front and center, and then when John unleashes his solos ... BAM!!! (check out "Life Goes On" - that solo ... omg!) Nolan's keyboards are subtle, but yet everywhere, adding more than just a blank canvas for Damien's voice, and it works. I know Larry will come here and explain to us how this sounds like Headspace, but either I haven't listened/cared enough about that project to recognize the similarities or it's just because it doesn't sound like most other Arena releases that the old man is grasping at straws to conjure up some comparison with something he knows ;) Well, no time for writing more - back to listening to this amazing album.
"
****I won't comment completely until I have the physical disc in my hand .... I have only streamed it a few times. Let's start out with the idea that if you didn't care about the first Headspace, then you are truly missing out on another amazing disc. This particular disc not only highlights Damian's voice - it also showcases the emotion behind his voice, as some of these songs call for that. I'm not sure how this one got by you, or maybe you dismissed it as "typical 90's prog metal that Larry loves", or you hated someone in the band ......but it is a wonderful disc.

Let's move on to the old man theory...... you are half correct on this one. I tried to think of a band who I could compare this to for exactly the reason you state - it does NOT sound like other Arena discs, thus my conjuring act for that issue. As far as some missing entities here, from what I'm hearing, John Mitchell and Clive's keyboard wall of sound are definitely taking a back seat to the different sound of the disc - it is definitely more modern, thus your comparison to Contagion, which I don't disagree with, but it doesn't sound like that disc per se either. You can't have both - meaning, you can't have John Mitchell in the background, and you can't have the missing wall of sound keys and expect it to sound like Arena. Yet, as it stands it is an amazing disc, I don't disagree..... but once I get the physical disc in my hands, we can take this further..... At $24, this is not a disc that everyone is going to purchase, and I'm baffled at that price as well, but this is not typical Arena but it is a new-sounding Arena, and one that showcases Damian's incredible vocal ability at this stage of the game. At that price, people really have to decide whether or not they want typical Arena, or a new sounding Arena.... that's what it comes down to. As for me, I'm buying it because it's pure class all the way, but it's not what I'd call typical Arena in any sense of the word.....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:42 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:03 pm
"
****I won't comment completely until I have the physical disc in my hand .... I have only streamed it a few times. Let's start out with the idea that if you didn't care about the first Headspace, then you are truly missing out on another amazing disc. This particular disc not only highlights Damian's voice - it also showcases the emotion behind his voice, as some of these songs call for that. I'm not sure how this one got by you, or maybe you dismissed it as "typical 90's prog metal that Larry loves", or you hated someone in the band ......but it is a wonderful disc.

Let's move on to the old man theory...... you are half correct on this one. I tried to think of a band who I could compare this to for exactly the reason you state - it does NOT sound like other Arena discs, thus my conjuring act for that issue. As far as some missing entities here, from what I'm hearing, John Mitchell and Clive's keyboard wall of sound are definitely taking a back seat to the different sound of the disc - it is definitely more modern, thus your comparison to Contagion, which I don't disagree with, but it doesn't sound like that disc per se either. You can't have both - meaning, you can't have John Mitchell in the background, and you can't have the missing wall of sound keys and expect it to sound like Arena. Yet, as it stands it is an amazing disc, I don't disagree..... but once I get the physical disc in my hands, we can take this further..... At $24, this is not a disc that everyone is going to purchase, and I'm baffled at that price as well, but this is not typical Arena but it is a new-sounding Arena, and one that showcases Damian's incredible vocal ability at this stage of the game. At that price, people really have to decide whether or not they want typical Arena, or a new sounding Arena.... that's what it comes down to. As for me, I'm buying it because it's pure class all the way, but it's not what I'd call typical Arena in any sense of the word.....
Perhaps those are the exact reasons I love this so much - my favorite Arena albums are those that sounds different from the rest (the debut is #1 for me and “Contagion” is #2), whereas most fans are hailing “The visitor” or “Immortal” as the best ones.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:40 pm

Singles:

TEN - The Tidal Wave
First single from upcoming album. Written at same time as "Here Be Monsters" album, and so far it feels quite in the same vein/style. I'm a Gary Hughes fan, so I'm loving it.
https://youtu.be/rhgtUhNOCDo

Albums:

RING OF FIRE - Gravity
Only had the chance to play through it twice, but it's not catching me quite as much as I had hoped. First single "Storm of the Pawns" is incredible, and my hopes was that entire album would be like this, but not quite ... still, very solid stuff, and both Kuprij and Boals are amazing (and Aldo Lonobile surprises the heck out of me here with his guitar playing, way more impressive / equilibristic than we're used to from him ... and keep in mind, I've loved his playing for years, as I used to manage him in Secret Sphere).
https://youtu.be/eYINs6HY_f0

DOOMOCRACY - Unorthodox
Damn!!!! I mean, DOOM! This is epic sounding doom metal leaning to the progressive side - if you love Sorcerer, Veni Domine, Solitude Aeternus and that style, then this is a no-brainer. There's a hint of mediterranean folklore to it, bringing good old Orphaned Land to mind, and there's even a hint or two of Sanctuary in the music as well. I'm digging this immensely.
https://youtu.be/3RMPF8o_Asc
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:37 am

CANDLEMASS - Sweet Evil Sun
I haven’t listened to it yet - the singles were disappointing and I’ve been dreading playing it. Candlemass is one of my favorite bands of all time and I’m really worried about this one so it might just sit there for a while before I dare dive in.
https://youtu.be/yHNUA7g0Kks

RISE TO THE SKY - Stay with Me When You Are Gone
Hmmm … I’m beginning to think Sergio should take more time between albums and work out all his ideas into fully fledged songs. This is his second Rise to the Sky album this year (plus two albums with his side project), and while this is doom death of higher quality than most any other bands out there right now, I can’t help but wondering how amazing it would be if it was condensed into one release a year.
https://youtu.be/AFT8kEBtdFM

SOEN - Atlantis
Live album with an orchestra and re-imagined songs. It’s good but not as spectacular as it could have been. Not all song choices are what i would have gone with.
https://youtu.be/g13lxyvguDw

THRESHOLD - Dividing Lines
Through the album 3 times now, and unfortunately it’s somewhat disappointing considering how awesome the first singles (“Silenced” and “King of Nothing”) were. It’s a much poppier Thresh’ than ever before, leaving some of the “smooth, dark melo-prog” behind and instead drenching it in a cheesy 80’s synth production without any grit and way too much of a power metal influence. Songs like “Run” and “Let it Burn” could easily have been Evergrey tunes, which is far from what I enjoy. I’m sure this album will be loved by those who would like Threshold to try something different and be more poppy, but not me.
https://youtu.be/XszH7l4Xf4E
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:38 am

FYI I am replying the post directly above me, but I am not going to quote the entire text.

Ironically the two songs you mentioned and liked are the most 'poppiest' songs on the new Threshold album

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:28 pm

Through the album 3 times now, and unfortunately it’s somewhat disappointing considering how awesome the first singles (“Silenced” and “King of Nothing”) were. It’s a much poppier Thresh’ than ever before, leaving some of the “smooth, dark melo-prog” behind and instead drenching it in a cheesy 80’s synth production without any grit and way too much of a power metal influence. Songs like “Run” and “Let it Burn” could easily have been Evergrey tunes, which is far from what I enjoy. I’m sure this album will be loved by those who would like Threshold to try something different and be more poppy, but not me.
***We are certainly hearing something different here - the same way we heard something different on the Arena. We will have to agree that people hear different things in music. However, you are very wrong on this one. :wink:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:29 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:38 am
FYI I am replying the post directly above me, but I am not going to quote the entire text.

Ironically the two songs you mentioned and liked are the most 'poppiest' songs on the new Threshold album
In your opinion :)

We all hear different things and to me those are the ones that reminds me the most of Threshold. “Silenced” in particular has a lot of same melody build up that “The Box” had (although “Silenced” is a much shorter song). Similar with “The Domino Effect”.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:31 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:28 pm
***We are certainly hearing something different here - the same way we heard something different on the Arena. We will have to agree that people hear different things in music. However, you are very wrong on this one. :wink:
Funny thing - the very first review I popped open of the album just a few hours ago said exactly the same thihgs I mentioned. We all know that there are as many opinions as there are people, but it was just interesting that the first review I read said what I was thinking.

Also, I want to point out that I do not dislike the album. There are plenty of great stuff here - I just don’t enjoy the whole power prog style that Evergrey delivers (or perhaps I should rather say that EG annoys me and I don’t want Threshold to sound like that). The cheesy/poppy 80s synth production isn’t helping either. I can luckily find plenty of stuff on this album that I enjoy (Silenced, king of nothing, complex, lost along the way, the domino effect, defense condition). I just don’t LOVE it which is a shame since I’ve been a fan since first time I saw the band with Glynn live in a tiny sweaty club many many years ago.
Claus Jensen

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:45 pm

Judicator -- The High Priestess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWCSFH719Jk

I missed that there's a new Judicator coming out Friday. Based on this, I'm looking forward to this one.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:49 am

jhallum wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:45 pm

I missed that there's a new Judicator coming out Friday. Based on this, I'm looking forward to this one.
Man, this is really good and very unique sounding too! I think I may want to listen to some more songs. Very good singer too...

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 pm

jhallum wrote:

I wanted to like it as I really enjoyed the previous disc, but this isn’t cutting it for me. I’ll try once more but … perhaps it’s the line up changes that caused the shift in music as well.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:18 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 pm
jhallum wrote:

I wanted to like it as I really enjoyed the previous disc, but this isn’t cutting it for me. I’ll try once more but … perhaps it’s the line up changes that caused the shift in music as well.
I actually like this one more than the previous one. The creativity seems to have moved up a notch and seems to have much more variety than their previous disk...I know this may not be a popular opinion but I found the previous disc was a bit too much demons and wizards/blind guardian worship...

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:13 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:18 pm
introclaus wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 pm
jhallum wrote:

I actually like this one more than the previous one. The creativity seems to have moved up a notch and seems to have much more variety than their previous disk...I know this may not be a popular opinion but I found the previous disc was a bit too much demons and wizards/blind guardian worship...
Totally - and I think that’s why I liked it. D&W is unlistenable nowadays (actually, I think only the debut was worth anything, however that one was amazing), so here comes a band that delivers exactly that style and does it well. The new one seem all over the place and I haven’t been able to get my head around it yet, and I am not sure I care to try much more. So much other good stuff out now I’d rather spend my time on. I can totally see why someone would prefer the new one though, as it’s more “original”.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 am

Hey Claus, it's probably not your thing, but I was checking out this Japanese Female Metal Band LoveBites, and those gals are amazing musicians. I really can't deal with the vocals, but the drummer is great and the two guitar players are ridiculously good....

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:23 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 am
Hey Claus, it's probably not your thing, but I was checking out this Japanese Female Metal Band LoveBites, and those gals are amazing musicians. I really can't deal with the vocals, but the drummer is great and the two guitar players are ridiculously good....
I enjoy their music but I really dislike the fact that they try (!) to sing in English as it sounds horrible. She has no understanding of the English language and it ruins it all. I love J-Metal and a lot of the bands in that scene have something western bands don’t have, something really unique, and most of them sing exclusively in Japanese which works well for me. Once in a while they sing a chorus or a specific line in English which sounds “funny” and even a bit “out of place”, but never enough to distract from the music - but in the case of LoveBites it’s every song from start to finish that’s marred by lousy lyrics and poor pronunciation, and it ruins the experience completely for me.
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:52 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:23 am
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 am
I enjoy their music but I really dislike the fact that they try (!) to sing in English as it sounds horrible. She has no understanding of the English language and it ruins it all. I love J-Metal and a lot of the bands in that scene have something western bands don’t have, something really unique, and most of them sing exclusively in Japanese which works well for me. Once in a while they sing a chorus or a specific line in English which sounds “funny” and even a bit “out of place”, but never enough to distract from the music - but in the case of LoveBites it’s every song from start to finish that’s marred by lousy lyrics and poor pronunciation, and it ruins the experience completely for me.
That's probably what bothers me about it as well. But man the musicians of LoveBites are just so amazing that I just keep watching LOL. the guitar solos and the way the 2 guitarists harmonize perfectly together is just jaw-dropping at times........So glad to see so many women in metal these days! That's a great sign of things to come...

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am

Time, The Valuator - Binary Pulse
This latest single really hits for me. Nice synths, nice heaviness, vocals sounding quite good. I'll certainly take an album of this.

https://timethevaluator.bandcamp.com/track/binary-pulse

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:22 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am
This latest single really hits for me. Nice synths, nice heaviness, vocals sounding quite good. I'll certainly take an album of this.

Here's my problem with this ...

First came the "Black Water" single ... I paid $1.29
Then came the "Ivy" single, which they bundled with "Black Water" ... that one was then $2.99
Then it was the "Glow" tune, which they made into an EP by bundling it with those first two singles ... yup, that was $3.99

And now they have the audacity of bundle all of them to a $4.99 EP for 4 tunes we surely are going to find all of on the upcoming album, just to pay an additional $10.99 for a few more new tunes.

Nope, I'm not doing it - I'll wait for the album, and then once more complain about how much of a rip-off this truly is. That's not a good way of treating your loyal fans.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:37 pm

I guess i haven't done one of these in a while ... here's what I've gotten over the last month;

OSYRON - Momentous
Thank you "Random Axe" for mentioning this one, as I never heard of the band before. Great stuff in the Into Eternity meets Myrath meets Flotsam & Jetsam meets Kamelot meets ... well ... power/prog/folk/melo-death/thrash.
https://youtu.be/z0ioMqtZ1w4

MMXX - Sacred Cargo
Old-school doom death album with an outstanding cast of incredible vocalists. Anyone who loves the original Peaceville-3 take note!
https://youtu.be/uDXqQbIPsRM (Mick Moss from Antimatter on vocals)
https://youtu.be/t4kK-UOGQ6I (Dan Swano from Edge of Sanity on vocals)

ANTIMATTER - A Profusion of Thought
A wonderful compilation of songs that never made it onto any of the Antimatter albums, but could have / should have. All songs have been re-recorded for this compilation.
https://youtu.be/9RUzXrCDSXo

REMINA - Strata
Heike Langhans' new project after she left Draconian. I can't really figure out the difference between this one and Light Field Reverie, except there's a musician less here than in LFR. Musically it's quite the same.
https://youtu.be/QU3nepdFqUw

METALLICA - Lux Æterna
I make no excuses, I still follow Metallica, and this is a nice rocking tune. Is it "Master of Puppets"? Nope, not even close - but less can be just fine.
https://youtu.be/_u-7rWKnVVo
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:00 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:22 pm
Mardoch wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:59 am

Here's my problem with this ...

First came the "Black Water" single ... I paid $1.29
Then came the "Ivy" single, which they bundled with "Black Water" ... that one was then $2.99
Then it was the "Glow" tune, which they made into an EP by bundling it with those first two singles ... yup, that was $3.99

And now they have the audacity of bundle all of them to a $4.99 EP for 4 tunes we surely are going to find all of on the upcoming album, just to pay an additional $10.99 for a few more new tunes.

Nope, I'm not doing it - I'll wait for the album, and then once more complain about how much of a rip-off this truly is. That's not a good way of treating your loyal fans.
Completely agree. I see a lot more bands doing this now and it's a bad trend.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:50 pm

Ne Obliviscaris, Australian extreme prog metal's finest are back are back with a new single, 'Equus'
https://youtu.be/Bftqq_BqQHI

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:41 pm

Why why why … oh why … why would anyone think it’s a good idea to release an album on December 30? Well, that’s what LORD OF THE LOST are planning on doing, and here’s a damn brilliant single which tells me that the album have potential to be one of the very top albums of the year. Okay, that will simply have to be counted as a 2023 release for me …

https://youtu.be/5I9CYu668jA
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Lovebites - Judgement Day
https://youtu.be/m3uGjp-P7DI

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:31 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:42 pm
Lovebites - Judgement Day
https://youtu.be/m3uGjp-P7DI
Like I said in another post not long ago, this band would be so much better if they stuck to singing in their native Japanese. The singers English skills are even worse than mine, and her pronunciation AND her accent ruins everything. However - that said - this might be the best I’ve ever heard them, and now I’m curious about upcoming album.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:31 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:50 pm
Ne Obliviscaris, Australian extreme prog metal's finest are back are back with a new single, 'Equus'
https://youtu.be/Bftqq_BqQHI
Love it. Can’t wait for the album.
Claus Jensen