Fates Warning- Long Day Good Night

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Scott B

Fates Warning- Long Day Good Night

Post by Scott B » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:58 am

This album has dominated my turntable since Tuesday. Kudos to Metal Blade for getting vinyl delivered ahead of street date.

I'll make this brief. Best since APSoG. On par with their classics.

That is all.

Packgrog

Re: Fates Warning- Long Day Good Night

Post by Packgrog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm

I'd enjoy chatting with you about turntable stuff some day, but discussion of it got me laughed out of other forums, so I'll refrain here.

I'm quite curious to hear this. I loved Ray's solo album, as well as the most recent Ray Fates album. Glad that your first impressions are good!

Scott B

Post by Scott B » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:30 am

Packgrog wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:04 pm
I'd enjoy chatting with you about turntable stuff some day, but discussion of it got me laughed out of other forums, so I'll refrain here.

I'm quite curious to hear this. I loved Ray's solo album, as well as the most recent Ray Fates album. Glad that your first impressions are good!
I am always available to talk turntables!

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 am

Scott B wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:58 am
This album has dominated my turntable since Tuesday. Kudos to Metal Blade for getting vinyl delivered ahead of street date.

I'll make this brief. Best since APSoG. On par with their classics.

That is all.
***Very strong words there - and very inspiring. My problem is that I liked Ray's solo disc much better than the last few FW discs, so I need this one to really shine moreso than the others ...... here is hoping.

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:37 am

LarryD wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 am
***Very strong words there - and very inspiring. My problem is that I liked Ray's solo disc much better than the last few FW discs, so I need this one to really shine moreso than the others ...... here is hoping.
I feel the same way. Ray's album took everything good about Fates (and Redemption), and packaged it in a tighter package that was easier to listen to. The new Fates album is good, but it's too long and too indulgent. The good parts get swallowed up by how long we have to wait to get to some of them.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

Nos wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:37 am
The good parts get swallowed up by how long we have to wait to get to some of them.
Man this sums up my feelings on a lot of brand name prog bands. I think it's got a lot to do with why I've spent more time seeking out my technical/wonky/proggy indulgences in the more extreme genres...those folks don't tend to fluff around so damned much. You don't hear much narration in tech-death, that's for sure.

Tom C

Post by Tom C » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Nos wrote:

Ray's album took everything good about Fates (and Redemption), and packaged it in a tighter package that was easier to listen to. The new Fates album is good, but it's too long and too indulgent. The good parts get swallowed up by how long we have to wait to get to some of them.
So in other words you're not a fan of progressive metal and yet keep listening to progressive metal and complaining about the progressive metal elements of the progressive metal band. And then continue to post on a progressive music board about how much you dislike virtually all of the bands discussed here because they're too prog.

Yes, I'm busting your balls here a little bit, but seriously. This isn't shocking. Everyone knows you don't like prog. At best you barely tolerate portions of some of the bands that sit on the fringe by incorporating a few elements of prog in their music, but still compain about those moments.

It's OK not to like this music. What I can't understand is why you keep listening to it and then coming here and telling us all about, yet another, progressive metal album you don't like.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go download the new Blake Shelton CD so I can find a country board on which to trash it.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Tom C wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:19 pm
Nos wrote:

Ray's album took everything good about Fates (and Redemption), and packaged it in a tighter package that was easier to listen to. The new Fates album is good, but it's too long and too indulgent. The good parts get swallowed up by how long we have to wait to get to some of them.
So in other words you're not a fan of progressive metal and yet keep listening to progressive metal and complaining about the progressive metal elements of the progressive metal band. And then continue to post on a progressive music board about how much you dislike virtually all of the bands discussed here because they're too prog.

Yes, I'm busting your balls here a little bit, but seriously. This isn't shocking. Everyone knows you don't like prog. At best you barely tolerate portions of some of the bands that sit on the fringe by incorporating a few elements of prog in their music, but still compain about those moments.

It's OK not to like this music. What I can't understand is why you keep listening to it and then coming here and telling us all about, yet another, progressive metal album you don't like.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go download the new Blake Shelton CD so I can find a country board on which to trash it.
You nailed it. Nos is a moron and a troll and he just needs to go the F away!
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:17 pm

He's an immature attention seeker, nothing more.
He's virtually destroyed the other board with his negatively and bullshit diatribes.

BC

Post by BC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:46 am

You guys know you can just place him up on ignore and quit bitching about him, right? Under the user control panel, the feature is listed as “Foes”.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 am

BC wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:46 am
You guys know you can just place him up on ignore and quit bitching about him, right? Under the user control panel, the feature is listed as “Foes”.
Sure, but where would the fun be in that? Besides, this provides me ample opportunity to tell him what a moron he is.
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:20 pm

BC wrote:
I never knew this, thank you.
Unfortunately his posts are still visible when someone else quote's him :roll:

BC

Post by BC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 am
BC wrote:
Sure, but where would the fun be in that? Besides, this provides me ample opportunity to tell him what a moron he is.
Not all of us enjoy seeing a thread derailed by insults. That’s shit for the ProgPower forums. Not here.
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:30 pm

BC wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm
introclaus wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 am
BC wrote:
Not all of us enjoy seeing a thread derailed by insults. That’s shit for the ProgPower forums. Not here.
Honestly, all jokes aside, it’s not that I enjoy it either but the asshole has been pestering up our forum with his negativity over the past couple of years and if the powers that be aren’t gonna ban him, then I will do my best to tell him time after time (or until I get banned) that he is pissing up the wrong tree. Feel free to join his club.
Claus Jensen

BC

Post by BC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:32 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:20 pm
BC wrote:
I never knew this, thank you.
Unfortunately his posts are still visible when someone else quote's him :roll:
Sadly, it’s not a perfect solution. I knew the board had the feature since I visit another forum that uses the same software. It’s just not as obvious here as it is elsewhere. The other board has the feature listed clearly as “ignore list”.

BC

Post by BC » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Claus, I’ll probably put you both on ignore and go on about my merry way.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:50 pm

BC wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:33 pm
Claus, I’ll probably put you both on ignore and go on about my merry way.
That’s fine by me - my point is, some of us have spent the better part of 20 years on the forum(s) and made it our family so to speak - we enjoy the talks here and learn a lot from each other. I’ve been coming here for the intelligent conversations about music for all those years and I’ve done my own share of posting as well, that some might like and others hate. However, the tone has predominantly been one of positive comments, trying to share interesting facts and new listens, discussions about the deeper corners of prog metal/prog rock and even power metal ... but then two years ago this moron shows up with one negative post after the other while telling us how much he dislikes the genres we discuss here. Like other people have said, he has ruined other forums as well and there are lots of people who hate his very being there. I was the biggest supporter in the beginning of him, trying to “turn his negativity around” and welcoming him and telling him to continue writing more positive posts. That didn’t happen and at some point in time I gave up and decided he had played me and the rest of this forum for fools long enough. I can’t begin to tell you how many people have contacted me personally and told me how much they dislike Nos and that they find it great that I speak up against him. Okay, so it’s quite immature of me to keep calling him names and slamming his every post, but I’m hoping he will either leave this place forever or ONLY post when he has something positive to say. I’m not getting my hopes up though as he hasn’t learned his lesson on the other forums either.
Claus Jensen

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 am

Jesus christ there is a ton of gatekeeping going on here.

Nos (in this thread) made, imo, a pretty valid criticism. Only a few sentenced anyway. Then a bunch of you went completely batshit. I mean, they said the album was "good". Let's sum up what happened here:

LarryD didn't like the last few Fates disc - he's hoping that this one will be better.
Nos agreed with him - and said the new one was good but drags a bit.
Mardoch agreed with Nos.

And then a gaggle of you jumped on Nos only even though they were simply 1 out of 3 people saying the same thing.
isn't it okay to disagree here? Are you guys that precious? Isn't that what a forum is for?
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:31 am

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 am
Jesus christ there is a ton of gatekeeping going on here.

Nos (in this thread) made, imo, a pretty valid criticism. Only a few sentenced anyway. Then a bunch of you went completely batshit. I mean, they said the album was "good". Let's sum up what happened here:

LarryD didn't like the last few Fates disc - he's hoping that this one will be better.
Nos agreed with him - and said the new one was good but drags a bit.
Mardoch agreed with Nos.

And then a gaggle of you jumped on Nos only even though they were simply 1 out of 3 people saying the same thing.
isn't it okay to disagree here? Are you guys that precious? Isn't that what a forum is for?
I don’t mind disagreement. I mind that a certain poster always have negative comments about everything. It’s like his entire being is just negative aura... even in his post about what supposedly is his favorite prog band he twists it into something negative.

Yes we could easily ignore him, and perhaps that’s what I’ll do going forward, but this whole idea of “let’s include everyone even if they are complete douchebags and never brings anything worthwhile to the table” is a bit too kindergarten for my taste.
Claus Jensen