Mexican Ape-Lord

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Psychotic Symphony

Mexican Ape-Lord

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm

There aren't many good discs this year. My normal "discs I really like" count is usually above 10 at the least by this time, but it's around five. So when something like the new Mexican Ape-Lord is released I am simply delighted at the quality.
Musically it is somewhere between Mustasch and Megadeth, and it reminds me a lot of that Sons Of Liberty release from years ago. A prominent rhythm section pulls it all together.

https://youtu.be/T-3M3NkGNQI

They call themselves raw epic mountain metal. Sure. Limb Music called they want their description back.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

ToddinMN

Re: Mexican Ape-Lord

Post by ToddinMN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:53 pm

This is some fun stuff! I feel like I should be on a pirate ship while listening to this. Although I'm not really sure why...

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:16 am

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm
There aren't many good discs this year. My normal "discs I really like" count is usually above 10 at the least by this time, but it's around five.
Wow, it baffles me when I hear people say something like that. I have so many more albums this year that I really like that normal, and I have at least 20 albums that I truly love and have listened to 30+ times each. To me, 2020 has been one of the best musical years ever. Sure, it might have something to do with my personal "mood" this year, or the fact that during Covid I've had more time to sit down and listen to music than normal, but still ...
So when something like the new Mexican Ape-Lord is released I am simply delighted at the quality. Musically it is somewhere between Mustasch and Megadeth, and it reminds me a lot of that Sons Of Liberty release from years ago. A prominent rhythm section pulls it all together.
I gave it a spin - I don't hear any Mustasch or any Megadeth. To me this sounds like a demo-stage-band that hasn't figured out what style they should play yet (groove, thrash, heavy metal) and just wanders about aimlessly. The singer is annoying and all his vocal melodies are just really basic. Sorry, I know you really like this but it does nothing for me.
Claus Jensen

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:37 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:16 am
There aren't many good discs this year. My normal "discs I really like" count is usually above 10 at the least by this time, but it's around five.
Wow, it baffles me when I hear people say something like that. I have so many more albums this year that I really like that normal, and I have at least 20 albums that I truly love and have listened to 30+ times each. To me, 2020 has been one of the best musical years ever. Sure, it might have something to do with my personal "mood" this year, or the fact that during Covid I've had more time to sit down and listen to music than normal, but still ...

I gave it a spin - I don't hear any Mustasch or any Megadeth. To me this sounds like a demo-stage-band that hasn't figured out what style they should play yet (groove, thrash, heavy metal) and just wanders about aimlessly. The singer is annoying and all his vocal melodies are just really basic. Sorry, I know you really like this but it does nothing for me.
You like what you like, no worries here. There isn't anything inherently bad with the releases this year, it's just most of the things I've heard this year I just sort of shrug at. And I generally can't predict what I will like at any given time. Maybe my taste is changing? Even that is hard to say. That said I have been craving more melodic thrash but that is rarer than good power metal. The last disc I heard that I was literally like "OMG" was Wilderun, and that was almost 12 months ago.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.