PoS / The Perfect Element - re-master / pre-order......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

PoS / The Perfect Element - re-master / pre-order......

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:34 am

https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/perfect-e ... d-preorder

I'm really surprised no one is talking this one up ........ I know lots of people don't care for re-issues / re-masters....... in the case of Remedy Lane, the re-mastered sound was brilliant, not to mention the fact that you got the Prog Power live show of Remedy Lane as a bonus .......

Here with TPE - my favorite PoS disc - you get the 2LP re-mastered version, along with the 2CD re-master as well......or you can just get the 2CD version for $10 less. IK opted for the 2LP version as its only $10 more and you get both the LP and the CD .......

Absolutely cannot wait for this release to come out ( again ) ........

In the process - I also ordered the upcoming DReam Theater cd / bluray release called Distant Memories / Live in London ....... this is the show they played the whole disc of Scenes from a Memory at the 2nd half of the show, and it was magnificent if you didn't see it on their last tour ........

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/distant-memo ... y-preorder

There are 4 versions of this release to choose from ............

What an incredible one-two punch of new releases.........

Sir Exar Kun

Re: PoS / The Perfect Element - re-master / pre-order......

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 am

Sorry, I just can't get excited about a remaster of something that already sounded pretty damn fine to my ears. I was very VERY underwhelmed with the last studio album (the first few songs are flat out awful), so really not feeling PoS in general right now. I could whip out TPE or Remedy right now and love every single note, but doesn't make me want to jump on a remaster....

That DT live show will be excellent. The last tour was incredible, and will be great to relive it, especially right now in the absence of anything truly live. The new Devin Townsend live album will also be most interesting.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 am

Sorry, I just can't get excited about a remaster of something that already sounded pretty damn fine to my ears. I was very VERY underwhelmed with the last studio album (the first few songs are flat out awful), so really not feeling PoS in general right now. I could whip out TPE or Remedy right now and love every single note, but doesn't make me want to jump on a remaster....
***I hear you ...... however, the Remedy Lane re-master made that thing shine on my system and brought me back into the fold on that CD. TPE has always been my favorite PoS disc and that won't change - but I have a new found appreciation for R-Lane with the re-master.

As far as the sound - Remedy Lane (original) sounds better than TPE to begin with ...... TPE is VERY compressed and washed out into a wall of sound ...... I can only hope and imagine that the re-master will bring out some of the nuances that the RL re-master did.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 am
I'm a little torn on this myself. On the one hand I agree with you completely, but on the other hand some of the recent remasters actually have dramatically improved things I thought were fine to begin with.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:41 am

I'll wait for the prevailing opinion here to emerge....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 am

IMO Pain of Salvation albums didn't start sounding great until BE. Entropia & the original Remedy Lane were the comparative best of the first four, but I welcome remasters of any and all of them. I'll be buying this with bells on.