Chaos Divine - Beacon

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

EmptyThoughts

Chaos Divine - Beacon

Post by EmptyThoughts » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 am

I can't understand why no one has not mentioned this...

Chaos Divine is one of the better Prog bands from Australia. IMO, even better than Caligula's Horse. Their last album Colliding Skies was a great album. However, based on the singles they've released, the new one is sounding even better. Their vocalist, a different style than your normal Prog vocalist, but his tone and emotion just fits perfectly with their sound. Can't wait till next week when the new album is released...

Enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E3nekfA_Y

Harvester

Re: Chaos Divine - Beacon

Post by Harvester » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:47 am

I disagree 100% on the Caligula's Horse reference, but to each their own.

Musically, the new album is indeed their best yet....by far. My only issue with the disc is they use a lot more "core" vocals this time around ala Protest the Hero & Between the Buried & Me. His clean stuff is great.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:33 am

I don't agree with your ranking at all, lol. For sure I'd put all of CH, Voyager, and Hemina above Chaos Divine. That said, Chaos Divine is quite good, but the mix on the last album annoys the hell out of me. The vocals sit at roughly the same level as the guitars and it makes things feel very unclear. It's somewhat better on the stuff that's released on the new disc, but still an issue.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm pretty much w Glenn on this one ... the Caligula's Horse album of 2020 is just a tad better based on a few things, one of those being the core-vox, and also I feel the new Chaos Divine disc runs a bit too long. I prefer the Chaos Divine singer by a mile though - wonderful voice!

That said, for me the prog metal disc from Australia this year is Ebonivory! There's like a jump of 20-30 spots on my year end list from where CH and CD are (in the 40's) and up to Ebonivory.
Claus Jensen

Norén

Post by Norén » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 pm

Love that band, but to be honest I have been slightly disappointed with what I have heard from the new one (except for Beacon which is great). Colliding skies is a fantastic album, and like you I like them a lot more than Caligula's horse.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 pm

Norén wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 pm
...I like them a lot more than Caligula's horse.
Overall, I prefer Chaos Divine to Caligula's Horse. I honestly never liked CH until the "Rise Radiant" album which somehow worked for me, and actually got me to go back through their older releases. Their weak point has always been the singer in my opinion. But yeah, the 2020 disc finally got me reeled in.

Obviously I love Chaos Divine (yes, another of the bands I used to manage back in the day), and "Legacies" is better than "Colliding Skies" in a lot of ways to be honest. It however has the length AND the use of core-vox working against it, which is truly a shame as this band is so incredibly talented.
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 pm
Norén wrote:
Overall, I prefer Chaos Divine to Caligula's Horse. I honestly never liked CH until the "Rise Radiant" album which somehow worked for me, and actually got me to go back through their older releases. Their weak point has always been the singer in my opinion. But yeah, the 2020 disc finally got me reeled in.

Obviously I love Chaos Divine (yes, another of the bands I used to manage back in the day), and "Legacies" is better than "Colliding Skies" in a lot of ways to be honest. It however has the length AND the use of core-vox working against it, which is truly a shame as this band is so incredibly talented.
You have an issue with Jim Grey’s vocals? :shock:

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm

LASERCD wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 pm
introclaus wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 pm
Norén wrote:

You have an issue with Jim Grey’s vocals? :shock:
Yes always have / even years ago when you tried pushing Arcane on me...
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:07 pm

This is out today!

I'm not all the way through it but it's very good so far. The vocals seem to be more consistently forward in the mix, which really helps address my complaints. Nice sonic variety.

Norén

Post by Norén » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Was sceptical at first but it's growing on me. Really like it now.
But yeah, would have been better off without the growls.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com