Getting over Evergrey exhaustion

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Random Axe

Getting over Evergrey exhaustion

Post by Random Axe » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm

I don't know what triggered this many years ago but I couldn't listen to them anymore. Maybe it was a mood thing, maybe I just wasn't into the direction they took with their music. Maybe they just depressed the hell out of me. In any case, I hadn't listened to a full album since Torn. There were a couple of singles I thought were good, but not enough to pull me back in.

Fast forward to the third week of September when I accidentally had Evergrey playing on a youtube mix. And it was fantastic!

I guess I flipped a switch or maybe they did, but this is really some good, deep stuff, and way more energetic than I remembered. Some of the songs just put me to sleep. I'm not too sure about all the down-tuned chugga stuff, but it kinda works for me too. I miss the symphonic elements they had on STD and Dark Discovery. I thought Search For Truth was good, Recreation Day was really good and I'm probably the only person who likes Monday Morning. Then they swerved a bit on Torn when the drop-tuned and muddied up the guitar sound.

So, as of today I'm back on board and will be going back to purchase the albums I missed along the way this past decade.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Getting over Evergrey exhaustion

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 am

First Labyrinth, and now Evergrey? Man, you are on a quality roll lately!

Sure, their style has definitely morphed over the years, but they remain one of my very favorites out there. Every album is emotionally powerful. Personally, "Hymns for the Broken" is their modern high-water mark. That is just a PERFECT sounding album. Crank that as loud as you can and it just is sonically a masterpiece.

(Watching the new Redemption DVD right now with Tom on vocals..... That last Redemption album is probably my favorite album of the last 3-4 years.)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 am

Random Axe wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm
I'm probably the only person who likes Monday Morning.
You're actually not alone, as I, too, like that album.

Hearing Aid Man

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:14 pm

I had some exhaustion with Symphony X after the Odyssey for awhile, but it passed and I did end up enjoying the 3 releases afterward quite a bit.

I got burned out on Kamelot for awhile as well after Karma. Much later I finally checked out the 4 Khan releases before Tommy joined and I was sure glad I did. Those are some great cds IMO!

As for Everygrey I've never been able to get into them?

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Great band. My favourites are SDT and ISOT.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:08 am

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm
Great band. My favourites are SDT and ISOT.
*** +1 ^^^^