Bandcamp profiles (aka a little light stalking on the side)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Mardoch
Site Admin

Bandcamp profiles (aka a little light stalking on the side)

Post by Mardoch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am

I've found some of y'all (Glenn, Todd, Scott B) on Bandcamp because we buy the same stuff, but I guess not everyone was aware that you could follow people and snoop their purchases.

So if you use Bandcamp any decent amount...gimme your profile link so I can stalk you, too!

Here's mine so you can see exactly how much djent I've purchased since the early 2010s (spoiler alert: a lot).
https://bandcamp.com/mardoch

introclaus

Re: Bandcamp profiles (aka a little light stalking on the side)

Post by introclaus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you!
I rarely by from bandcamp, but I enjoyed reviewing your list here and found a few to check out. Also, I didn't realize there was an instrumental version of "Volition" available, so thanks to your list I now have a new PtH to go listen to :)
Claus Jensen

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:05 am
Thank you!
I rarely by from bandcamp, but I enjoyed reviewing your list here and found a few to check out. Also, I didn't realize there was an instrumental version of "Volition" available, so thanks to your list I now have a new PtH to go listen to :)
Awesome! I'm happy you found something amongst my collection.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Bandcamp is actually one of my favorite places to buy from. I can sample the album, and if I like it, buy it and make sure that more of the money goes directly to the artist. It also makes the best use of compressed audio streaming imaginable. It's going to be out there anyway, so by making it so much easier to buy and download immediately after hearing it, the motivation for "piracy" vanishes for all but the most miserly. Love Bandcamp. I wish more artists were on there.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:41 am

Packgrog wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:41 pm
Bandcamp is actually one of my favorite places to buy from. I can sample the album, and if I like it, buy it and make sure that more of the money goes directly to the artist. It also makes the best use of compressed audio streaming imaginable. It's going to be out there anyway, so by making it so much easier to buy and download immediately after hearing it, the motivation for "piracy" vanishes for all but the most miserly. Love Bandcamp. I wish more artists were on there.
100%. My only real complaint with them is that they don't have a damned volume widget on their site so I have to handle that by adjusting my browser's volume. Also their continued run of "Bandcamp Fridays" where they waive their own fee collection and let 100% of the money go to artists has been excellent. I've spent so much there that I otherwise probably wouldn't have purely to support artists.

Their recommendations are actually very good, too (if their recommendations are purely algorithmic then they have some genuine data science genius in their ranks). It's the rare site where I actually opted into "yeah send me recommendation emails" and not hated my life as a result. There's so much jazz and metal on BC and they do a really good job of surfacing some unknown gems.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:52 am

Mardoch wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 am
introclaus wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:05 am
Thank you!
Awesome! I'm happy you found something amongst my collection.
I think you and I are very much alike in our djent / melodic metalcore tastes, so there's definitely a lot of things I need to check out from the list.
Claus Jensen

Digital Man

Post by Digital Man » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Yes, Bandcamp is my go to place for buying music. Here is my profile:

https://bandcamp.com/digitalman43

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 am

Digital Man wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Nice! I added you this morning and already found some stuff from your collection that I'm going to check out.

It's another Bandcamp Friday and I have a feeling my total damages will be over 200 before I hit "buy."

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Mardoch wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 am
Digital Man wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Nice! I added you this morning and already found some stuff from your collection that I'm going to check out.

It's another Bandcamp Friday and I have a feeling my total damages will be over 200 before I hit "buy."
I bought one in bandcamp this morning (Ascian... doom metal). Apparently I’ve only bought four items on BC ever. Guess I buy primarily on iTunes or on Amazon. Occasionally from Ken G and other vendors (SheetHappens for my PtH stuff).
Claus Jensen