One of my favorite CDs I picked up from Powermad

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

One of my favorite CDs I picked up from Powermad

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 am

Going through my old CDs and ran across a gem that I really enjoyed that I got from Powermad back in 1999 I believe

The band's name is Voice and the CD was "Trapped in Anguish". Not a well known band or CD, but man I played the hell out of this thing and it was on instant rotation...... Think I need to give it a spin again

Dusty

Scott B

Re: One of my favorite CDs I picked up from Powermad

Post by Scott B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 am

Wow, a double blast from the past. Powermad and Voice. Trapped in Anguish was a great album.I don't think the other albums hit me as hard as that one, but definitely a solid band. They put out a new album in 2017.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

Agree with your assessments .......Trapped in Anguish was excellent !!!!! The others did not hit me as hard either.......but that was one was special.

Harvester

Post by Harvester » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 am

Larry D when it comes to discussion on a 20+ year old disc from the good old days.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am

Harvester wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 am
Larry D when it comes to discussion on a 20+ year old disc from the good old days.

****Thats me !!!!!!!!!!

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Funny..... I just played a couple of Voice discs over the last few weeks at work, and they weren't doing anything for me so they went into the (eventually) to be recycled pile. Admittedly, "Trapped" wasn't one of them, but I don't recall it being much different than the others.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

LarryD wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am
Agree with your assessments .......Trapped in Anguish was excellent !!!!! The others did not hit me as hard either.......but that was one was special.
Very odd to see you like this, as it's way more of a power/melodic metal album than a prog album. I just listened to it again, and it didn't do anything for me (the vocalist sounds like he has a potato in his mouth). The only of their albums I've actually kept in my collection was the debut "Prediction" which I think is their most original album (sounds like Angel Dust style power metal with a lot of keyboard layers on top). Most of their other discs sounds derivative of Edguy and the likes in my opinion.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am

(the vocalist sounds like he has a potato in his mouth)
OK, this just made me laugh out loud, and almost spit my drink onto the monitor.

You're not wrong though.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 am
Going through my old CDs and ran across a gem that I really enjoyed that I got from Powermad back in 1999 I believe

The band's name is Voice and the CD was "Trapped in Anguish". Not a well known band or CD, but man I played the hell out of this thing and it was on instant rotation...... Think I need to give it a spin again

Dusty
I love Trapped In Anguish and still play it. The others are also very good but not on that level. Did you check the comeback album from 2017, The Storm? Was pretty good IMO but sadly seemed to have slipped in the cracks... Singer still in good voice, pun intended!
https://youtu.be/0ZRklqwJBrc

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 am

introclaus wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am
LarryD wrote:
Very odd to see you like this, as it's way more of a power/melodic metal album than a prog album. I just listened to it again, and it didn't do anything for me (the vocalist sounds like he has a potato in his mouth). The only of their albums I've actually kept in my collection was the debut "Prediction" which I think is their most original album (sounds like Angel Dust style power metal with a lot of keyboard layers on top). Most of their other discs sounds derivative of Edguy and the likes in my opinion.
Says the dude who loves Nils Patrik Johansson, the king of the "potato-in-mouth" singers! :lol:

The Voice singer is excellent.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 am
introclaus wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am
LarryD wrote:
Says the dude who loves Nils Patrik Johansson, the king of the "potato-in-mouth" singers! :lol:

The Voice singer is excellent.
Yup - and NPJ knows that he is ... I always called him that when I worked with him

The difference is that to me NPJ is awesome while the Voice singer is annoying to listen to
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Just for the record - I've got 4 VOICE cds.......... :wink:

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 am

Listening to Voice brought back some memories.
Now I wanted to go back to one of my other old favorite CDS, but I can't think of the name of the bank, it's totally escaping me. It's the band that had the excellent Corey Brown as vocalist(ex psycho drama) in it.....But man, I can't look for the CD, because I can't remember the name LOL.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 am
Now I wanted to go back to one of my other old favorite CDS, but I can't think of the name of the bank, it's totally escaping me. It's the band that had the excellent Corey Brown as vocalist(ex psycho drama) in it.....But man, I can't look for the CD, because I can't remember the name LOL.
Magnitude 9 or In the Machine?
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:14 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 am
prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 am
Magnitude 9 or In the Machine?

Magnitude 9! That's it. thanks Claus.
I just remember the excellent vocals and crunchy guitar. There was one cd I liked much more than the others. but at least now I know the name I can go find it

Dusty

Kez

Post by Kez » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 am

Mag 9 - Chaos to Control.

A great disc from way back when!