LEGACY PILOTS / Avation........

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

LEGACY PILOTS / Avation........

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:58 pm

This was recommended to me by someone here, and I'm all in on it ....... metal heads can stay clear of this one, this is what I'm calling AoR inspired Neo-Prog / melodic rock, or something like that ........

Try to imagine a whole host of bands coming together like this > Alan Parsons Project - Marillion - Kansas - John Mitchell - and to a lesser degree Arena and bands like Magic Pie, Pineapple Thief and just a weird smorgasbord of prog rock bands with some atmospheric tones thrown in here and there...... throw in these guest musicians:

Marco Minneman
Todd Sucherman (Styx)
Jordan Rudess
Pete Trewavas
John Mitchell
STeve Morse

The project is headed by Frank Us, who plays keys, bass, guitar, vocals, mixing, and everything else ......it's obvious his project, and if you look at those musicians, you might wonder how it can be as light as it is .......it's not your Neo-Prog light, but more like Alan Parsons / Lonely Robot type light........ there are some instrumentals that are really cool, and some songs that border on pop, but there seems to be some sort of atmospheric neo-prog holding it all together in the background.......and the production is stellar.

Check it out here if you like ........

https://legacypilots.bandcamp.com/album/aviation

introclaus

Re: LEGACY PILOTS / Avation........

Post by introclaus » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:36 pm

Musically this is good - yeah it's really laid-back (not metal at all) as you said, but that's fine. Don't need everything to be metal. Some truly great musicians on here. The vocals though - ugh - he is quite unpleasant to my ears (some weird grit at the bottom of his voice) and his German accent ain't doing it for me either.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:06 am

To me he sounds like the guy from Eloy ........ I did not pull an Eloy disc and compare, but in my mind that's who I heard when I heard this guy ...... his accent didn't bother me at all, and I'm very picky about that ........ I've been thru this disc 2 times - and it really is a surprise hit for me. How some of these unknown bands (Telergy comes to mind) is able to afford all of these special guests is beyond me ......

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am

Gaetan you should be checking this one out big time ........any Eloy fans should as well.

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:02 pm

LarryD wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am
Gaetan you should be checking this one out big time ........any Eloy fans should as well.
Currently playing on bandcamp...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net