Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura...

Post by Hearing Aid Man » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Late to the party on this one. Yes I'm talking about the 2007 release. I'm not even sure why I checked this out? I guess on saw it on the Lasers Edge and Ken described it as a "masterpiece" so I thought we'll see. After a few listens I decided to purchase it and I'm glad I did. This is a great cd from start to finish. Some of it is very proggy and some is quite light, but all of it is very good IMO. The Melodies are fantastic! Not really familiar with much of his other stuff. I think I tried Transatlantic? Also, samples from the upcoming cd haven't really grabbed me though? Any others from him this good?

Nos

Re: Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura...

Post by Nos » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Also, samples from the upcoming cd haven't really grabbed me though? Any others from him this good?
I've heard the full new album, "Sola Gratia", and it didn't grab me either. Neal seems, to my ears, to be writing less great hooks these days, across all his bands and projects. It's been a while since I've really loved one.

Yes, he has other good stuff. I think Transatlantic's "Bridge Across Forever" is the pinnacle, but all their stuff is really good. As for his solo stuff, the "Question Mark" album is great, "Testimony 2" has some great songs ("Seeds Of Gold", especially), and I'm much higher on "Momentum" than a lot of people. And if you want just the melodies, his super-religious pop album "God Won't Give Up" is chock full of them.