Wuthering Heights

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

gazinwales

Wuthering Heights

Post by gazinwales » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Yes I know I am very late in discovering WH, I knew about them for a good few years and even reviewed the Madding Crowd album a few years back.
It was only last week when I was flicking through my box of promo discs that I saw this CD and decided to pop it in and rip to iTunes.
Fast forward to the weekend and my trip up to Sydney (175 km) this pops up and bingo I am hooked.

Looked on YT and found the full Shadow Cabinet and I do remember hearing Salt way back and not really paying too much attention.
Really impressed with the songwriting, production and of course NPJ vocals.
So I began looking to buy the CD's been browsing discogs and seeing if I can find any of the Japan releases at a decent price.
Then I find WH Facebook and see from December 2019 remasters are in the process, so maybe I should hold off for these?

introclaus

Re: Wuthering Heights

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 am

gazinwales wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:37 pm
Yes I know I am very late in discovering WH, I knew about them for a good few years and even reviewed the Madding Crowd album a few years back.
It was only last week when I was flicking through my box of promo discs that I saw this CD and decided to pop it in and rip to iTunes.
Fast forward to the weekend and my trip up to Sydney (175 km) this pops up and bingo I am hooked.

Looked on YT and found the full Shadow Cabinet and I do remember hearing Salt way back and not really paying too much attention.
Really impressed with the songwriting, production and of course NPJ vocals.
So I began looking to buy the CD's been browsing discogs and seeing if I can find any of the Japan releases at a decent price.
Then I find WH Facebook and see from December 2019 remasters are in the process, so maybe I should hold off for these?
Wonderful band and all of the albums are absolutely amazing - you should go buy em all from Ken Golden. I wouldn’t hold out for the remasters as I doubt Erik will get around to getting it done anytime soon (then again, I haven’t talked to him in 5 years so who knows)... now, if he gets the remasters done then obviously I will eat my words (and I’ll be first in line to buy them myself(.

Man, the stories I could tell about my time with these guys. One of the very first bands I ever took under my management and they stayed there throughout their entire career. Erik is such a gifted songwriter, an amazing lyricist and one of the funniest guys I’ve ever known.
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Yeah after going to the bands FB page I can see what you mean, last update was December last year:

'We are currently putting the final touches on the Wuthering Heights remasters. A few final details and we're ready to go. The old albums have never sounded better, thanks to audio wizard Jacob Hansen. I suspect we will start releasing early in the new year. Expect lots of bonus goodies from the archives!
Also, Patrik is getting ready to record the last of his vocals for the ”new old” songs soon.'

Hopefully their cover of 'Discovery' will be included, as a huge Mike Oldfield fan it will be interesting to hear their interpretation of it.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:04 pm

I remember seeing them at ProgPower USA. I hadn't heard them previously, and while I knew Teddy from when Mayadome played Powermad '99, I knew nothing about them. When they took the stage, a lot of us were confused and wondering what the hell was going on with the bizarre mix of outfits. I did recall enjoying the music, though. :P

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:04 am

I still listen to Far From the Madding Crowd from time to time, especially in the fall and during Christmas season for some reason.

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Bump, the first re-issue can be pre-ordered direct from the band, but they are not cheap...

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:13 pm

gazinwales wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:22 pm
Bump, the first re-issue can be pre-ordered direct from the band, but they are not cheap...
I will eat my words and put in my order!!!
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:03 am

Remaster ordered!!!
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:35 am

The Madding Crowd remaster sounds amazing, great songs and of course NPJ in fine voice.